Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assistive technology and devices

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

There is a make night in the science gallery on Thursday 11th of Feb in the Science Gallery (6-8pm). the science gallery is near Pearse street dart station.

A make night is where people get together and make stuff. Stop go animations, paper balloons, electronics things like that.

There will be Sugru there. Sugru is like putty but it can set hard so you can use it for making toothbrush holders, pen grips things like that.

I am also bringing the parts to make tactile rubiks cubes.

So if you want to do a bit of making come along and give it a go.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Not sure if this has come up here before and I have an interest as I am a CNM2 in an ID service here in north county dublin.
    I have come across a program called xpadder for the pc, it is a simple little piece of software and it allows any joystick setup to be orientated for the PC.
    It means that a large, easy to manage digital joystick can be used as a mouse, moving the pointer, and the mouse button functions can be translated to the buttons on the stick.
    I have a large arcade style stick and was repurposing it for a arcade project with my laptop when I came across xpadder.

Working with people with varying degrees of ID and, at times, an associated motor difficulty, using a mouse can be quite challenging, and purpose built alternative solutions very costly.

This systems beauty is that a robust joystick setup need not cost too much, it can be setup with xpadder in 5 minutes and allow complete control of all windows functions.

If the stick has a multitude of buttons these can be set to register as key presses or multiple key presses at once, allowing for more flexibility and control.

Here's a link in case this interests...
    http://www.xpadder.com/

I think I might be using this in work soon, I can see it allowing my clients accessibility to the web and pc applications and also being cheap enough to not impact on the unit budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Text to Speech .....

It seems that Google are getting into this .......
    Google’s desktop web browser Chrome 11 is now in beta stage. It now includes a unique feature that is not found in other web browsers i.e it now has speech-to-text capabilities.
    http://www.maggadget.com/chrome-beta-11-now-includes-speech-to-text-feature-and-a-new-icon/

I also read that it is likely to be available through Google Apps ..... at last, it seems, a platform independent means of Speech to Text will become available.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,631 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Does anyone know where I could get pressure relieving socks? I don't wear any shoes, and would need some protection for the soles of my feet?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

want to recommend www.helponhand.ie

• Advertisement

Has anyone ever used these guys for buying clothes???

www.rollimoden.com

Their clothes seem nice, if expensive. They manufacture clothes specifically for disabled people. I would like to try them, but am unsure about getting clothes from them, as they are based abroad.

Any opinions welcome. I got an email from them saying that their trousers/jeans are of a standard length of 100cm. My legs are no way near as long as this, so I don't know how I would get around wearing their products.......? What i currently do is buy a regular pair of trousers, and cut the legs to my desired length.........

The rep I spoke to(by email)said that I would be credited for any clothes that I returned to them.........?

Has anyone ever used these guys for buying clothes???

www.rollimoden.com

Their clothes seem nice, if expensive. They manufacture clothes specifically for disabled people. I would like to try them, but am unsure about getting clothes from them, as they are based abroad.

Any opinions welcome. I got an email from them saying that their trousers/jeans are of a standard length of 100cm. My legs are no way near as long as this, so I don't know how I would get around wearing their products.......? What i currently do is buy a regular pair of trousers, and cut the legs to my desired length.........

The rep I spoke to(by email)said that I would be credited for any clothes that I returned to them.........?

Following on from this post, does anyone know of a company in Ireland who would manufacture/fit shoes for disabled people??

I would suggest a local cobbler ...... if there is an actual cobbler in your area.

I would suggest a local cobbler ...... if there is an actual cobbler in your area.

Don't think there is....? Anyhoo, I have arranged an appointment with the Footwear Department of the Spina Bifida Association in Clondalkin.

Don't think there is....? Anyhoo, I have arranged an appointment with the Footwear Department of the Spina Bifida Association in Clondalkin.

Had my fitting done today. They made a mould of both my feet. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 sports_

Had my fitting done today. They made a mould of both my feet. :eek:
    i also did

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Not sure if this has come up here before and I have an interest as I am a CNM2 in an ID service here in north county dublin.
    I have come across a program called xpadder for the pc, it is a simple little piece of software and it allows any joystick setup to be orientated for the PC.
    It means that a large, easy to manage digital joystick can be used as a mouse, moving the pointer, and the mouse button functions can be translated to the buttons on the stick.
    I have a large arcade style stick and was repurposing it for a arcade project with my laptop when I came across xpadder.

Working with people with varying degrees of ID and, at times, an associated motor difficulty, using a mouse can be quite challenging, and purpose built alternative solutions very costly.

This systems beauty is that a robust joystick setup need not cost too much, it can be setup with xpadder in 5 minutes and allow complete control of all windows functions.

If the stick has a multitude of buttons these can be set to register as key presses or multiple key presses at once, allowing for more flexibility and control.

Here's a link in case this interests...
    http://www.xpadder.com/

I think I might be using this in work soon, I can see it allowing my clients accessibility to the web and pc applications and also being cheap enough to not impact on the unit budget.

I forgot to post that qjoypad in Linux should do the same thing for those who use that OS.

sports_ wrote: »
    i also did

on the same day........?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Stillorganboy

You might be able to get VAT off your equipment, you'll need a letter off your doctor to say such equipment would improve your life. No harm in trying. If you don't try you will never get anything

A resource that allows you to try assistive technology was released some time ago. Visit www.try-it.ie. This was set up in colaberation with a lot of the major organizations in Ireland. I've written about it once or twice on my own site www.digitaldarragh.com. That's not a plug, it may help some of you who use assistive technology for the visually impaired. Yesterday, I reviewed the new Jaws Tandem feature for example.

Your first link doesn't work??

Your first link doesn't work??

Seems to be a fault on the site side ......

Is this of any interest?

http://www.assistireland.ie/eng/Information/Service_Providers/Electronic_Assistive_Technology_Library_www_try-it_ie_.html

Where can I get one of those personal alarms that you wear around your neck??

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭atheist

Where can I get one of those personal alarms that you wear around your neck??

Try
    Murray Medical Equipment
    20 Talbot Street
    Dublin 1
    (0800) 540530
    http://www.murrays.ie
    Hours:
    Mon-Fri 9:00 - 18:00
    Sat 9:00 - 17:30

The quality of one I bought there was low but they replaced it without argument

Hi

Does anyone know where I can get a completely flat toilet seat that has a smaller opening than the regular ones?

I need one of these as I find myself slipping through the hole in the toilet. I have been told that i need to get someone to measure me from hip to hip in order to get the correct size of the opening that I would require?

Is this correct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Hi

Does anyone know where I can get a completely flat toilet seat that has a smaller opening than the regular ones?

I need one of these as I find myself slipping through the hole in the toilet. I have been told that i need to get someone to measure me from hip to hip in order to get the correct size of the opening that I would require?

Is this correct?

Have you had a look around http://www.assistireland.ie/eng/

• Advertisement

RainyDay wrote: »
    Have you had a look around http://www.assistireland.ie/eng/

Yes. Think I may need an OT to have a look?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I'm just bumping this thread (so it doesn't get lost), before unsticking it. The reason I'm unsticking it is that if a forum has more than three sticky threads, it can cause display issues/errors for those browsing the mobile site. I've also linked to this thread in the main Links/Resources thread too.

Advertisement