Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stange kitten habit....

• 26-08-2009 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭

I have two little kittens, 5 months old, brother and sister. The little girl cat is fine, runs around and does all the normal kitten things. The boy cat Thomas is fairly normal too, but he is alot more talkative and really likes being with people. When you come into a room he will run up to you and meow and the like. Weird thing is though he has a habit of sucking the legs of a teddy bear. Is this unusual, should we take the bear away? I've taken a video of him http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWwW6OGOrTc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

It's comforting to him because he's imitating suckling his mummy. This happens quite often when kittens are separated from their mothers too early (at less than eight to nine weeks old). Don't worry, it doesn't do him any harm. I've seen some kittens suckle their own fur and that can become a problem because the spot they suckle can become very bald and sore.

Are they neutered yet? If not, it's time! Your little lady could come into season in the next few weeks and you're little man is just about hitting sexual maturity! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

Definatly imitating suckling(you can see him 'kneading' with his paws, which is something he would do to stimulate milk flow when suckling from his mother). I would be worried about injesting fake fur though! What I would do is as soon as he being to suckle the teddy, distrat him with some human affection so he associated pleasure wih human affection.:p

Good advice, Jinxi :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭lycopodium123

that is the cutest thing ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

They are going to get snipped soon enough. the vet said 6 months but from what I've read a bit sooner wouldn't do them any harm.
    I'll try distracting Thomas when he goes for the bear, a mice thrown across the floor usually works

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

Rockiemalt wrote: »
    I have two little kittens, 5 months old, brother and sister. The little girl cat is fine, runs around and does all the normal kitten things. The boy cat Thomas is fairly normal too, but he is alot more talkative and really likes being with people. When you come into a room he will run up to you and meow and the like. Weird thing is though he has a habit of sucking the legs of a teddy bear. Is this unusual, should we take the bear away? I've taken a video of him http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWwW6OGOrTc

my kitten does the exact same thing with my dressing gown- espically when im wearing it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Id agree with what the other posters have said. Its basically the same as a soother or comfort blanket in human terms. My dog does it to cushions ...shes 14 so never grew out of the habit,but we never discouraged her either as she seems so content when doing it. She also does the kneading thing, which is just simulating what they do do promote more milk flow from their mothers teats. Funny to look at though and i wouldnt be worried. He looks like a very contented kitten ;)

Thanks for the advice everybody, I think I'll try and distract him when he does it when we are around but not take the bear off him. Heading up to the vets in a few minutes now to make sure they are ok to get snipped asap! Thomas has been attempting to get in a bit of practice with Daisy, I've tried explaining to him that you don't do those things to your sister but I don't think he understands :P

She is lovely though!

5773_112127992740_698977740_2655722_3882621_n.jpg

:o She's gorgeous!

After a trip to the vets, the two of them escaping in the waiting room, my hands being bitten and scratched the little girl cat will be neutered tomorrow :) Boy cat not for another while as the vet thinks he should get to mature a bit more

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

Ahh shes adorable, looks just like the kitten I so very nearly brought home the other day from the shelter. It looks like shes singing or she thinks shes a lion and trying out her roar!!

Advertisement