Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Enterprise Customers

• 01-07-2014 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi guys,

Apologies for the silly question but can someone tell me what does the term 'enterprise customers or software customers' mean in the context below as seen on a job spec?

"experience in providing technical support to enterprise customers or software customers"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

When I did my internship with intel as a junior sys admin, my role was to support the developers and engineers locally on site and across EMEA, they would be referred to as my customer, basically it could be anyone that is dependant on you. The term was a bit alien to me at first, as yes, if you weren't in the know, you most likely assume a customer is someone that buys something from a shop. :-p

Im sure there is a better explanation :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 youjammydodger

Thanks for the reply, I understand now!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

Just to add on this, both of them are fairly non-specific terms, IME. For example, Tier 1 banks would certainly class as enterprise customers to a software vendor (and as a result many financial vendors would be exclusively enterprise), but I've seen a company use enterprise to refer to any multi-site install, ranging from the small (sometimes just 2 sites, head office and remote) to the fairly large (200+ sites in multiple countries) setup.

For others enterprise may refer to a standard of availability/uptime/redundancy/etc., or alternatively volumes of data processed by a system. It might also be that they use JEE for software development, and automatically think enterprise because it's in the name. Software customers is a bit more self-explanatory, but still could refer to internal or external dependents.

So, clear as mud!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 youjammydodger

Haha, bit of head-melter alright! cheers for the reply guys

Advertisement