Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stupid question probably - HTML software?

Options
  • 22-07-2014 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭

Like how Java there's software such as Eclipse and Netbeans for it... likewise is there anything for HTML ?

I currently use Notepad++

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭justjustin

Netbeans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

Notepad! :pac:

But seriously, html doesn't need to be compiled (um, not to my knowledge. Could be completely wrong). You can use any text editor to create .htm / .html files and then open them up in a browser.

What you will require is something that will highlight syntax and basically allow you to code correctly. That is, so you don't end up with a wall of text wondering what tag ends where.

Notepad++ is grand for html, xml and css editing.

Codecademy do great CSS and HTML coding courses (for free).

http://www.codecademy.com/courses/html-one-o-one/0/1

Also netbeans and elipse are just IDE's. (Integrated Development Environments). So they let you write and compile the code in one program instead of dealing with command prompt. It's actually the Java Development Kit that does all the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Notepad++ is fine but if you're looking for something with syntax highlighting for HTML, CSS and JS along with an internal web browser, Eclipse is free and fits the bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

Notepad++ is fine but if you're looking for something with syntax highlighting for HTML, CSS and JS along with an internal web browser, Eclipse is free and fits the bill.

+1

Also, just to let you know that there's a html plugin for Notepad++

http://sourceforge.net/projects/npp-plugins/files/HTMLTag/

From this list of plugins:

http://www.backslash.gr/content/blog/misc/11-notepad-plusplus-plugins

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Cheers all :)

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

Sublime Text also works for highlighting quite well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Ballyv24

I use notepad++ and then firebug to identify where my formatting is not displaying as planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Sublime is my go to editor for pretty much everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

?? I got an infraction for saying webstorm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Other than Notepad++ you could try Brackets. It lets you open a browser window from within the application and view HTML and CSS changes immediately as you save, doing away with the need to refresh the page every time. It's more heavyweight than Notepad++ but still nowhere near as heavyweight as an IDE.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Chance The Rapper

I use brackets on Mac OS , it's nice. Would also highly recommend codecademy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

RealistSpy wrote: »
    ?? I got an infraction for saying webstorm?

Banned for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Meritor

I think HTML has more to do with designing rather than programming.
    So, if you want to design and code you may try software like Dreamweaver (Not free, you need licence to use it) or Microsoft Frontpage (Very old, Microsoft has stopped development since 2003).
    The new could connected application proposed by Microsoft is WebMatrix (microsoft . com / web / ). This is free to use. Unfortunately, webmatix does not provide WYSIWYG editor.
    You may also want to have a look at BlueGriffon a free WYSIWYG editor and it also has plugins. bluegriffon . org

I personally use simple text editors like edit plus, notepad++ for simple website.
    For webapplication that needs additional programming languages I use Eclipse / netbeans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

WYSIWYG doesn't really exist for web design. It's more like What You See Is What You Might Get If You're Very Lucky due to differences in browser renderings, the need for Responsive Design, scalability.... I'd only advise using something like Dreamweaver and the like for mockups or production only. As for Frontpage, no, never, ever, it's the spawn of the devil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tenifan

tricky D wrote: »
    I'd only advise using something like Dreamweaver and the like for mockups or production only. As for Frontpage, no, never, ever, it's the spawn of the devil.

Dreamweaver.. it depends on what the website's meant to do. If you do a lot of editing text and there's little programming, I think you could do worse than dreamweaver.

Frontpage is also great for fancy navigation bars and such ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Frontpage is really REALLY out of date. It was replaced years ago by SharePoint Designer, which itself is now out of date (in terms of web design at least). This was replaced for web design by Expression Web, which as you might have guessed is now out of date. Expression Web 4 is still available, and free, but AFAIK it won't be developed any further.

On the Microsoft front, web design is all now focused around Visual Studio. If you're looking for free tools then "Visual Studio 2013 Express for Web" is what you are looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

Other than Notepad++ you could try Brackets. It lets you open a browser window from within the application and view HTML and CSS changes immediately as you save, doing away with the need to refresh the page every time. It's more heavyweight than Notepad++ but still nowhere near as heavyweight as an IDE.

Another +1 for brackets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

vim, Firefox w. Firebug

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

tenifan wrote: »
    Dreamweaver.. it depends on what the website's meant to do. If you do a lot of editing text and there's little programming, I think you could do worse than dreamweaver.

That's what I mean by production, as opposed to design.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

From the open source world there is Kompozer http://kompozer.net

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Like how Java there's software such as Eclipse and Netbeans for it... likewise is there anything for HTML ?
    There's not in the sense that there's so many of them, with no clear leader in the area, that there's no industry 'standard'.

I'm currently using PSPad (although I don't know why, as I don't actually like it much), but have used EditPlus 2, Notepad and a range of others in the past.

Depends on what your requirements are (e.g. support for other languages) and what you're comfortable with.

Actually, given my ambivalence twoards PSPad, I'm more than happy to hear what others are using.
    But seriously, html doesn't need to be compiled (um, not to my knowledge.
    Oddly enough most people don't use editors or IDE's just for the compilers.

Advertisement