Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kelly kettle worth buying?

• 24-02-2012 12:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭

I have this small kettle thrown around that will run off my inverter but it's a stupid yoke and want something better, to have thrown in the back of the car or for camping. Kelly kettle looks expensive but do they last and are they worth it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Get the stainless steel model, aluminium gives the water a funny taste. At the risk of sounding curmudgeonly, my father and his father before him used the Kelly Kettle, and it never let them down. Its an extremely efficient fuel user, burns almost anything, and you can store equipment inside the chimney once its wrapped in plastic or a cloth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I have had my eye on a kelly kettle for years but the cost has put me off as I do not think I would not get the value. They look perfect for day hike type scenario where you can stop for a quick brew and to have in case of emergency but I mostly spend a night out so for me the bulk is better suited elsewhere. With the cooking attachment the centre of gravity is quite high and you need a good level base to use.

krissovo wrote: »
    With the cooking attachment the centre of gravity is quite high and you need a good level base to use.
    The accessories aren't much good alright, I just rigged up a circle of chicken wire and laid it right on top of the base for cooking myself, removing the upper part, works great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

yes, the kelly kettle is great..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

Out of interest I just checked up the price of these on Amazon.co.uk if delivered by Amazon.co.uk the postage should be under a fiver so the One Pint Stainless Steel Kelly Kettle would be about £56 inc P&P and the biggest 2.6 Pint "Base Camp" in Aluminium would be £46 inc P&P. Shop prices I've seen here have always been over €80 for the Alu one so I'd be using Amazon.co.uk yet again if I get one.

Starting point > http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?url=search&field-keywords=kelly+kettle

• Advertisement

Out of interest I just checked up the price of these on Amazon.co.uk if delivered by Amazon.co.uk the postage should be under a fiver so the One Pint Stainless Steel Kelly Kettle would be about £56 inc P&P and the biggest 2.6 Pint "Base Camp" in Aluminium would be £46 inc P&P. Shop prices I've seen here have always been over €80 for the Alu one so I'd be using Amazon.co.uk yet again if I get one.

Starting point > http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?url=search&field-keywords=kelly+kettle

have you tried Kelly Kettle direct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

CamperMan wrote: »
    have you tried Kelly Kettle direct?

Didn't look because I thought they were more expensive on postage, but have just checked this site http://www.kellykettle.com/ (if thats the one you mean) and P&P is about the same (£5) and the Kelly Kettles are all 5-6 pounds cheaper than on Amazon.co.uk.

Because we often have delivery problems with couriers I might use Amazon.co.uk even though they are more expensive as they are very reliable on delivery and recent orders have taken no more than 3 working days and come via An Post. If the price difference was more I'd definitely go with the Kelly Kettle site.

that's the website.. I bought direct from Kelly Kettle, great customer service, fast delivery, if I were to buy another one, I would buy direct instead of from Amazon or any other source..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

I must get one so, was tempted to buy a mini trangia but not anymore since i found out how much methylated spirit costs

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Dawn Rider

As much as I like the idea of them for boiling water, I don't think I'd ever get my money's worth out of a Kelly Kettle. Especially as they're a bit tricky to cook on.

They would be ideal if you're driving on safari and there was plenty of dry material around, but they just appeal to a solo hiker like me.

At least with Trangia's you can get meths in any hardwear store for about a fiver.

Also, instead of buying a mini Trangia, why not make one out of a small beans can? It will be a lot lighter and cheaper :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Dawn Rider wrote: »
    As much as I like the idea of them for boiling water, I don't think I'd ever get my money's worth out of a Kelly Kettle. Especially as they're a bit tricky to cook on.

They would be ideal if you're driving on safari and there was plenty of dry material around, but they just appeal to a solo hiker like me.

At least with Trangia's you can get meths in any hardwear store for about a fiver.

Also, instead of buying a mini Trangia, why not make one out of a small beans can? It will be a lot lighter and cheaper :)

I might try that with the cans. If theres no fuel i could bring a small bag of sawdust+diesel or possibly used oil the odd time i used that to light the fire it burns for ages

cooking on a Kelly Kettle isn't a big problem if you have the proper attachment and a small lightweight pan..

OK, what happens if you run out of metholated spirits?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Dawn Rider

CamperMan wrote: »
    cooking on a Kelly Kettle isn't a big problem if you have the proper attachment and a small lightweight pan..

OK, what happens if you run out of metholated spirits?

If I wanted to eat food that would fit into a small lightweight pan, I'd carry on using my Hexi stove & mess tin. Or, my preferred gas stove which I used twice a day every day for two months camping last summer on one bottle.

Now if I ran out of meths and was using my full sized (Lidl) Trangia, I'd light a small fire in the wind shield and carry on as normal.

In an peat area where you can't light fires directly on the earth, you can build them on those aluminum turkey trays you get in supermarkets. But then again, if you thought of bringing one of those, you probably would have brought enough fuel...;)

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not entirely against them. Under the right circumstances I'm sure they're fine. But, in almost every case I've found a preferable alternative.

During WW2 in North Africa the Allies used something very similar to the Kelly Kettle and some of the troops got nasty burns when the boiling water shot out of the pouring spout. This was sometimes referred to as 'over spill'. Does anybody here know if this happens with the modern Kelly Kettle?

During WW2 in North Africa the Allies used something very similar to the Kelly Kettle and some of the troops got nasty burns when the boiling water shot out of the pouring spout. This was sometimes referred to as 'over spill'. Does anybody here know if this happens with the modern Kelly Kettle?
    Sounds like they tried to boil the water with the cork stuck in it, which is always a bad idea.

The yoke that sits on top isn't the best notion, the kettle was designed to boil water, and like a good knife it does the thing it does very well indeed.

However I have used it regularly to cook food with the larger and much more stable base like so:

kelly%20kettle%20accessoriescook%20set.jpg

no turkey tray needed ;). It makes a nice charcoal burner too for the winter nights. Water can be stored in it on the move just like a flask with the cork in, and of course the chimney or even the base is all empty space for any gear you like.

What we used to do is bring along a feed of stew in a jar and pour the boiling water over the top, instant dinner. :D

Good review here. I'm curious as to whether the hugely hot exhaust out the top might find any use in amateur smithing as one poster there seems to suggest.

Scratch the smithing idea, I read it again and he's talking about not using it in a confined space. :rolleyes: There has to be some good use a jet of scalding air can be put to though! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

There has to be some good use a jet of scalding air can be put to though! biggrin.gif

Taking the bends out of walking sticks/arrows/Atlatl?

Wear welders gloves though, they get fair hot!

I've a kelly kettle, and I'd recommend it to anyone!

It's a great little companion for when you're off for a days fishing, etc and in need of a brew.

- Druss.

http://paddy-halligan.blogspot.com
    http://twitter.com/#!/druss_rua

Advertisement