Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Formula 1 2012: General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

OSI wrote: »
    No, but he made the right friends at a very early age.

I don't really have a problem with that. He grafted his way up to that point, and from then on.

I was referring more to the people coming in now, family connections seem to be increasing in importance. Hamilton has been in F1 over 5 years at this stage, he's not a rookie. I'm not saying family is the only thing but it seems bigger than it used to be. Marketability will always be a big one, being a good-looking woman will help, being the only black driver will help etc. etc. There's drivers in America and elsewhere who are definitely good enough to be among the F1 contenders but never will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I don't think F1 (or motorsport) has really changed that much over the decades. Theres always been other factors at play.

BostonB wrote: »
    I don't think F1 (or motorsport) has really changed that much over the decades. Theres always been other factors at play.

The factors ebb and flow over time in all the facets involving money. Manufacturers sometimes make up most of the entries then fall away. 9 years ago there were 9 different engines (in name anyway) on the grid with 10 teams, now there's just 4 with 12 teams. In the same way the money links alter themselves all the time. Out of 10 kids right now they'll all hitch their wagons to different companies and interests. Some of them will already be involved in higher levels of motorsport, some won't. By the time the current kids reach their 20s the people one would want to be involved in will be completely different to now. Marketability will always be a factor but it's just one of many.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Daniel S wrote: »
    She's fair good looking:

216938_211321078895551_176325105728482_772943_388044_n.jpg

Btw, she's only 18 days older than me. :cool:;)

Unreal! There's another decent looking bird driving in the GP3 Series for Ocean Racing. Carmen Jordá her name is.

IMG_8761.jpg

Obviously not as good a photo as the above one :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Unreal! There's another decent looking bird driving in the GP3 Series for Ocean Racing. Carmen Jordá her name is.

IMG_8761.jpg

Obviously not as good a photo as the above one :D
    I think we may need a whole new thread to discuss this! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,621 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Alonso has a special one for this weekends Monaco GP

https://twitter.com/alo_oficial/status/205037870841462785/photo/1

• Registered Users Posts: 9,573 ✭✭✭lord lucan

This is my favourite helmet this season.:)

heikki-kovalainen-angry-birds-helmet-f1-2012-0.jpg?20120315-184548

Alonso has a special one for this weekends Monaco GP

I quite like the design on the top of it. I'd say there will be more drivers who will have a one off design for the race this weekend too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Fernando Alonso is a JRPG geek :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Sorry about the radio silence from Monaco over the weekend but I had little to no access to the internet where I was staying but on Wednesday I had the chance to interview Heikki Kovalainen and get some of his thoughts....
    Stephen English: What are the big differences between racing for Caterham compared to your time with McLaren and Renault?
    Heikki Kovalainen: For me the main difference is when I cross the start finish straight straight and I see the lap time on the dash and it is not fast enough. This is really the main difference for me. As a team I think that we have grown and as we are now we work really well. I am really happy with the way we go racing; how we prepare the cars, how we prepare for sessions, how we run the cars and how we do the debriefs and how we handle the problems.
    I think, for me, it is as good as any other team but the main difference with the race team come from the factory. Obviously the factory is not as big and as efficient as someone like McLaren so we can't react to a problem as quickly as McLaren can. And then really as a driver the grip is the main difference. I don't have the same grip and the performance in the car as I had in those cars.

There have been some technical changes lately at the team with John Iley hired from McLaren as performance director what benefit will this be to the team?
    I think it is a reasonable change and will have a reasonable impact on the team. He is an aerodynamist and aerodynamics are the weak area for us. We don't have grip and enough performance in the car. So he will be directly involved with that and when you see his track record it is very good. He has had stints at Ferrari and McLaren so he is very good at what he does. Everyone is expecting a lot from him and maybe other people will join the team and strengthen that area.

It looks like the top level of the team is filled with very good people. It must be a case of not having the sheer volume of numbers that most of the grid has back at base?
    Yeah, we can never have as many people as someone like Red Bull or McLaren or Ferrari because it is not realistic. We are a small team and we need to somehow be more efficient and hiring someone like John is the right kind of step for us.

Thinking in terms of people like Mike Gascoyne or Mark Smith. Both made their names with small teams on small budgets such as Tyrell and Jordan when they were working on a shoestring and getting the most that they could from the budget. Presumably that has to be the main strength of Caterham going forward?
    Yeah I would say so. Like I said we can never be as big and powerful as McLaren, or at least not in the near future, so we have to find more efficient ways of working. It is not necessarily big money hirings it is bringing in the right talent and bringing motivation into the team.

It's about spending the right money on the right people.
    Yeah exactly.

Presumably making it into Q2 in Bahrain would have been the highpoint of the season for you?
    I would say Barcelona race was for me the best race of the season for me. I think qualifying I've had a few good laps in qualifying the last year and a half but Bahrain we got into Q2 because of Michael's misfortune and really relatively speaking that qualifying session wasn't any better than say in Shanghai or Melbourne where I had a good qualifying session. It was really that people saw us in Q2 and while it might have looked better my own performance was similar to what I have done before.
    In Barcelona I made a mistake in qualifying but in the race I think it was an excellent race. I had four very good stints and didn't have any issues with the tyres. So I would say that is the best moment so far in the season. It's always fun to be in Q2 but realistically we are not there yet our pace is not good enough to go there regularly so if it is because of some misfortune I don't think that we can take too much grade from it. Really we have to be working on our performance and make sure that we can close the gap.

Looking back at Barcelona when Pastor [Maldonado] and Williams got the win would that give you a lot of heart to see the progress that they have made in a relatively short period of time?
    I think that it shows how big of a jump they have done since last year when we basically fighting with them at the end of last year in quite a few races. They have obviously made a huge step forward. I've always thought of Williams as a good team, they still are a relatively big team, and they have actually had moments and races where they looked very quick but for one reason or another something has happened and they have not been able to stay there and finish the business. In a way it didn't really surprise me that much that Williams won a race maybe that it was so soon. I was expecting them to be at the top end.

One of the main strengths, from the outside looking in, at your performances this year would be the consistency that you have during a race. Do you look at this as one of your strengths?
    I think over the last year or so I have carried on the same performance. Both qualifying and races have been good and I feel that I have been able to get a level in the races that is required and I think that I am understanding the tyres and when I can push them or back.
    I learned a lot about qualifying from Jarno who was a great qualifier. In our first year I think he beat me 11-7 or something in qualifying and I was spending a lot of time looking at what he did in qualifying. How he always saved a good lap and I think that I understand what he was doing, I don't know if he understood what he was doing but I did look very deeply at it!
    Last year I was able to out-qualify him I think all but twice and the race performances were also consistent. I feel quite confident in my own performances but it is better not to talk about it too much because the guys who are winning races are the ones who deserve the glory. At the moment what I am doing is making sure that I keep my own performance level at the maximum and then think about the future.

How frustrating is it to drive at the maximum throughout qualifying and the race and still finish in, lets say, 18th position?
    It's not frustrating for me. It is what it is. The last thing to do is to get frustrated and let it get into your head and lose focus. The main thing is to keep the focus at 100% and keep pushing at whatever the car performance is and keep working with the team as well as you can. Then hopefully one day when the car is good you can carry on doing the same job and hopefully the results will be better.

You're here three years. Is this the last year of your contract?
    Yes

Are you looking to stay on?
    I haven't thought about it yet; it's early in the year. I think that at the moment I will wait and see what direction we are heading in and then make my mind up later on.

Are you happy with the progress that has been made?
    So far yes. I guess this year we haven't hit our target and no-one is happy about this but in the problematic areas, which is aerodynamics, I think that what we have done lately is positive. We have the right people coming to the team and raising our capacity. It will help that area to improve so I think with a bit more time I will talk racing with them.

In relation to the tyres, they are one of the main talking points at the moment. What is your opinion on the Pirelli's?
    I don't have a problem with the tyres. I think that they are challenging and you don't always get a great balance but it's the same for everybody. I'm not going to complain; I drive what I've been given and I've been given these and I now have to make the most of it.

Would the biggest problem with these tyres be that you are carrying 160kg of fuel at the start of the race and there is obviously a lot of strain on them for the stint? At the end of the race everyone's pace is pretty consistent but it is at the start of the race that we see a large drop off in performance.
    I think the main thing at the start of the race is that the track is still quite dirty and green and at the end of the race when everyone has used three or four sets of tyres and a lot of rubber has gone down the grip level has improved and we find more and more grip and can go quicker. At the beginning of the race carry 160kg of fuel it is something that it is something that means that first stints can last only a few laps. Even in qualifying though the car is low fuel and we are going for it and sometimes the balance is quite difficult to get.

How do the tyres compare to the Bridgestone's of two year's ago?
    They have less grip and less stability, I think the compounds are not as aggressive. It is the tyre we have going forward. It doesn't feel mega different to the Bridgestone. We are going slower but it is still quick it's just a different philosophy. It's still a Formula 1 car so it is still quick!

The weather for this weekend is forecasting showers surely that would give you a better chance to shine, do you have a preference for conditions?
    I think obviously if it rains it would be better for us. If it rains it would be a better opportunity for us as it would be a bigger variation to everyone. It's very easy to fall off obviously it would be a better opportunity for us but it can also backfire on us and cause some problems. Honestly though I don't mind, any conditions are fine with me and we just have to make sure that we finish the race and whatever opportunities there are we have to make sure that we take them.

Are there any upgrades coming down the line?
    Yeah we will. We had an upgrade at Mugello that we were testing for Barcelona but it wasn't working. We are modifying that upgrade and we will put it on the car next race and then we will put it on the car after that.

OK, that's great. Thanks for taking the time to talk to me Heikki.
    No problem.

I have to say Lewis Hamilton is driving exceptionally well this year. Picked up points in every race so far. 4th in the championship, 13 points off the lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Daniel S wrote: »
    She's fair good looking:

216938_211321078895551_176325105728482_772943_388044_n.jpg

Take away the makeup and photoshopping and she looks more like Alonso after a fancy haircut.

AU861622.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    I have to say Lewis Hamilton is driving exceptionally well this year. Picked up points in every race so far. 4th in the championship, 13 points off the lead.

Imo, he'd be leading the championship if Ron Dennis was boss. I couldn't see McLaren making any mistakes with him around, let alone the amount they have done under Whitmarsh. It's actually shocking that they've ruined so many races for their drivers.

aaronh007 wrote: »
    Imo, he'd be leading the championship if Ron Dennis was boss. I couldn't see McLaren making any mistakes with him around, let alone the amount they have done under Whitmarsh. It's actually shocking that they've ruined so many races for their drivers.

I agree. Ron Dennis would have had these mistakes eliminated very quickly. They screwed up every pitstop for Lewis so far this year, and tbh I can see these problems continuing, which is sickening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

I agree. Ron Dennis would have had these mistakes eliminated very quickly. They screwed up every pitstop for Lewis so far this year, and tbh I can see these problems continuing, which is sickening.

When you compare it to Ferrari and how bloody good they are at pitstops, they have it perfected for Alonso and Massa, that Lewis looks at his team and must think ffs how hard can it be to change my tyres within a decent time? It's definitely cost him the championship lead for sure over the last six races.

Take away the makeup and photoshopping and she looks more like Alonso after a fancy haircut.

AU861622.jpg

I did notice (almost immediately) that she does look like Alonso! :D

Tried not to think about that though.

HazDanz wrote: »
    When you compare it to Ferrari and how bloody good they are at pitstops, they have it perfected for Alonso and Massa, that Lewis looks at his team and must think ffs how hard can it be to change my tyres within a decent time? It's definitely cost him the championship lead for sure over the last six races.

Indeed. I have to say Lewis was very restrained after what happened in Barcelona. McLaren didn't put enough fuel into the tank during qualifying, resulting in him not being able to drive the car back to the pits. He did an excellent job in the race to finish 8th. All those mistakes cost points. He has matured alot this season.

Here are the tyre strategies and pit-stop times for Monaco.

Indeed. I have to say Lewis was very restrained after what happened in Barcelona. McLaren didn't put enough fuel into the tank during qualifying, resulting in him not being able to drive the car back to the pits. He did an excellent job in the race to finish 8th. All those mistakes cost points. He has matured alot this season.

Here are the tyre strategies and pit-stop times for Monaco.

It's almost like he's taking an Alain Prost approach to this season. Constant points finishes are obviously better than say trying to move up another position but crashing out while doing so.

Still, after 6 races and having as much crap he's had to take, but still be within 13 points of the lead is extraordinary.

• Advertisement

aaronh007 wrote: »
    It's almost like he's taking an Alain Prost approach to this season. Constant points finishes are obviously better than say trying to move up another position but crashing out while doing so.

Good point there Aaron. It's like he's analysing what's going on ahead of him and not going to take risks which won't pay off.
    Still, after 6 races and having as much crap he's had to take, but still be within 13 points of the lead is extraordinary.
    Indeed. He's a remarkable driver, naturally gifted.

The spanish newspaper Marca has reported that Valencia wont be holding a F1 race after 2012 because Mexico has gained the rights to hold the GP instead. A few other English speaking websites are saying that the decision hasnt been made yet but looks likely.

While Valencia is a terrible track and the old Mexican one was a great test it sounds like the rejigged Mexican track isnt much better than Valencias.

Another case of Europe losing a GP?

Things should become clearer soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Valencia wasnt due to host a race next year anyway. With the financial crisis getting worse and worse they had agreed to alternate years with Barcelona. They are also cutting down their MotoGP races to alternate.

The plan is that next year Barcelona hosts F1 and Valencia hosts MotoGP and then the following year its the other way around

Delighted. You'd swear the guys behind Valencia, Bahrain and Abu Dhabi had a bet to see who could make the ****tiest race going.

Who do you think won?:pac:

Who do you think won?:pac:

They're all winners as far as I'm concerned. Wooden spoon for everyone! :/

This is what the track in Mexico City looked like when it last held a race in 1992:

Mexico%20City.gif

This is it now:

Mexico%20City%202002.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

This is it now:

Mexico%20City%202002.gif

That was only for Champ Car, and only from 2002 until I think 2005. A1GP used the full Peraltada, and I assume that F1 would use it as well.

TheChrisD wrote: »
    That was only for Champ Car, and only from 2002 until I think 2005. A1GP used the full Peraltada, and I assume that F1 would use it as well.

Looks like they will be using the same layout as they did in 1992 so :) Peraltada is a great corner. Here's Mansell overtaking Berger at Peraltada in 1990:

Could make for a good race with that long straight. Even without DRS I imagine the drafting would be awesome along that with a long final gear.

• Advertisement

I think that popped up on everyone's Facebook today! :D

Advertisement