Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Get out of contract (Meteor)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭JohnDee

Just called that CC number, couldn't be less hassle free. :D
    Was on 12 month Smart e35 contract,switched to bill pay lite.

I love Boards.ie :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

JohnDee wrote: »
    Just called that CC number, couldn't be less hassle free. :D
    Was on 12 month Smart e35 contract,switched to bill pay lite.

I love Boards.ie :D:D
    Just a heads up that you won't get the free Meteor to Meteor texts or calls offer switching this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

when I signed up for a contract a month ago I was going from Meteor PAYG => Meotery Bill pay

The guy instore told me that the free meteor call/text thing only applied to people switching from another network to meteor, so I went and switched to O2 PAYG and then to Meteor bill pay

Does this mean that when I cancel my contract and go to PAYG< when I go in store to sign up for Bill pay Lite I'll face the same problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

valor wrote: »
    when I signed up for a contract a month ago I was going from Meteor PAYG => Meotery Bill pay

The guy instore told me that the free meteor call/text thing only applied to people switching from another network to meteor, so I went and switched to O2 PAYG and then to Meteor bill pay

Does this mean that when I cancel my contract and go to PAYG< when I go in store to sign up for Bill pay Lite I'll face the same problem?

No, and if you read back over the last few pages you'll see this explained a few times....

I just did it over the phone switching to bill pay lite, she said the free meteor to meteor texts are included but that free calls are not included in that plan, regarldess of whehter I sign up in a store or not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Ok.. I've been following this for the last week or two and wanted to see how it'd pan out before I call..

- I currently have 2 phones on my account, both on the top €85 Free Calls/Texts to everyone plan.
    One is about 4 months into the contract (and I got a Desire out of it with 5GB data bundle), the other has about 3 months to go before it expires.

- I want free any network texts and ideally a decent amount of minutes on both accounts (free meteor calls preferred)

... is there therefore any point in my getting out of the contracts, or is there a plan that will do this (I've had a look on the Meteor site, but it's hard to know what is a "current" plan - from previous experience I've been able to sign up to older plans from new in the past), or would I be better staying with what I have?

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭BArra

valor wrote: »
    I just did it over the phone switching to bill pay lite, she said the free meteor to meteor texts are included but that free calls are not included in that plan, regarldess of whehter I sign up in a store or not?

which bill pay lite did u switch to though?

they have bill pay lite at 10e and 30e

also bill pay lite smart at 30e and 50e

10e..I imagine she's right and I didnt get screwed, just wanted to check

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Was on to them last week on 1800 222085 and was told pretty much the same thing as everybody else in this thread.
    Agent on the phone was polite and courteous and understood exactly what the request was.

I was advised that over the phone, I can be moved to any of the lite plans without penalty, but will not get the free meteor to meteor calls and texts.

If I wish to get a lite plan with the calls and texts included, I must first change to PAYG which must be instructed to them in writing, and an email will be sufficient.
    After being changed to PAYG, I must then go into one of the Meteor Stores to sign up to the plan to get the free meteor to meteor calls and texts.

I've just fired off the email, so here is hoping nothing untoward goes wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 harry92

Sorry I'm a bit unclear on this.

If I buy a new bill pay phone, does this mean i can then ring up, cancel my contract and then return to PAYG, therefore getting a big discount on the phone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Having looked a bit further into this (and checking O2's site as well), I don't think there's much point in my calling them - unless I want to be out of contract which is a bit pointless unless you want to change plans/move networks, no?

As above, I want free any network texts and a decent amount of minutes but it doesn't look like I can get that together in a package without paying over €80 for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

harry92 wrote: »

If I buy a new bill pay phone, does this mean i can then ring up, cancel my contract and then return to PAYG, therefore getting a big discount on the phone?

No. They have already announced the new terms so if you sign up you will be accepting them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

:D;):p:rolleyes::P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

No they've changed the conditions already on new contracts. You need to have a contract signed prior to 22 July.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 harry92

Ah I see. Ha I was wondering. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭thayes

Hi,
    I have read almost all of this thread, so apologies if I have missed this.

Can I cancel my contract but stay on the existing plan that I am on? I am on the surf plan (500 min+texts and 1GB data) which suits me fine.

I just want to keep my options open. T.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Sweet, that was easier than I thought. I didn't have to switch to PAYG or anything. Told them I want to cancel contract and switch to Bill Pay Lite. So from August 25th I'm back on €10 a month Bill Pay Lite & €5 250MB add-on and out of my contract after only 3 months.

just emailed the particulars yesterday and called. the1800 number sorted.
    bill pay lite from start of Sept.
    thanks to all here.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭beefjerky

I had read through this a few days ago and thought about it as I was on the Bill Pay connect 18month (500 mins/texts + 250 data, about 9 months in at this stage) and like a lot of people really want to save money where I can.

So I had the email written out with my name address and number and that i wanted to cancel due to changes in the contract by meteor and switch to PAYG.

I called first, said what I wanted, the guy asked my details, and said that will be done in 30 mins, I said do I need to send an email, he said no it's ok. end of call

Immediatley after the call i logged on to meteor.ie to have a look and it had already switched! and been given €1 credit, how nice...

Thanks boardsies, awesometown!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Eyeballs

just rang them a few minutes ago and got sorted straight away.
    my phone was damaged so my insurance gave me a nokia 5230.
    I rang customer care to switch plans so I'd have the internet on the phone but they told me I was tied to a contract till october and basically tough!
    I rang the 1800 number on the first or second page and got straight thru, I told the operator that I had a contract till october and wanted to cancel it, he said no problem but he'd have to ask some questions.
    I told him I was talking to a customer care rep and told him what he said, he asked if they gave me that phone number so I said they did and then told them what I was looking for and that my bill would be dearer but meteor wouldn't accept it cos of my contract.
    So now I have a dearer price plan but have free metoer talk and texts from the middle of august and also an upgrade on my phone from today.
    I'm not ringing customer care any more, the operator I was talking to couldn't have been more helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 droidman

So if you get out of the contract and swap to Pay As you Go, can you then jump ship to any other network later on down the line like say Three on pay as you go without having to hand back the handset? Or will Meteor find out when you try to port the number elsewhere and then ask for it back?

cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

thayes wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have read almost all of this thread, so apologies if I have missed this.

Can I cancel my contract but stay on the existing plan that I am on? I am on the surf plan (500 min+texts and 1GB data) which suits me fine.

I just want to keep my options open. T.

You can't stay on that plan without being in a contract, but what they will offer you if you're happy with the plan you're on is an upgrade phone if you'll sign a fresh contract for the same plan....thats what they're doing to keep people dropping to monthly plans or payg.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

How about switching back to Vodafone reception network but still be on Meteor, what's the number to ring for that? :p
    Meteor reception in my are blows so hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

Successfully switched over to the 10 euro lite plan today, it shows up on my account on mymeteor straight away but no data add-on as of yet... and I haven't txtd someone on meteor yet to see if I got the free txts

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

By the way, I was told that I was going to get free calls and texts when I canceled over the phone, but when it kicked over I didn't... Had to give them another ring to get it sorted... All fixed now though...

• Registered Users Posts: 3 paulsars

Hi guys

Just got my contract cancelled. I went with a Bill pay smart lite option instead, its advertised on the meteor web site as having free meteor to meteor calls and text but this is only for new customers and exsisting customers changing plans will not be entitled to this. So if your changing over be sure to say at the time that it doesn't state on the website that its for new customers only and they should relent and give you the same package.

Hope this made sense and helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭robo

Just did the same moved to the 1 month contract for Smart Lite (€30) and I now have a 1 month contract as oppose to a 18 month contract!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

I signed up with meteor bill a few weeks ago and was wondering if I could get out of it if I want too. Thing is I dont have my contract to see if its the old one or the new one.

How can I check my contract. Do I need to get Meteor to send it out to me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

I signed up with meteor bill a few weeks ago and was wondering if I could get out of it if I want too. Thing is I dont have my contract to see if its the old one or the new one.

How can I check my contract. Do I need to get Meteor to send it out to me?
    They would have given it to you while purchasing the handset. If you don't have it though your probably best off just to ring up and chance your arm. Worst case senario they will just tell you you agreed to it in your contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭jonas7

I'm happy enough with my plan but I would like to get an upgrade, are they likely to offer one if I ring up cancellations and try cancel my contract?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭tm2204

jonas7 wrote: »
    I'm happy enough with my plan but I would like to get an upgrade, are they likely to offer one if I ring up cancellations and try cancel my contract?

Yes, I just cancelled mine and switchedd to Bill Pay Smart Lite 30 (month by month plan) with free Meteor to Meteor calls & texts.

They offered me an upgrade immediately if I signed up to a new contract but I want to go on a monthly contract until a newer phone comes out as I already have the HTC Desire.

Might wait until the HTC Desire HD is released then sign up for that :D

Advertisement