Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hamster Clinic (or the Repair Advice Thread)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

MrTime wrote: »
    Hi Guys

Nikon . Lens , Nkkor AF 80 - 200

plastic mounting flange damaged

camera bag fell, minimal imppact !

lesson not to leave lens mounted

would repair be cost effective
    is there any drop in option in dublin area

Bill
    Hi,

Replacing the lens mount should be cost effective. I take it one of the 3 lugs broke off the mount?
    If you would like to PM me I can give you details if you are interested in a repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭MrTime

Thank you
    will make contact soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Mr Hamster.

It looking like I might need to send you my camera for repair. Its a d3100 with just over 6000 on the shutter count.

Im not sure what the problems are, but here are the symptoms .

When I turn the camera on or when its already on the flash pops up and the screen says flash mode. And shutter button will not work.

If I tap the camera on the side the flash mode screen disappears.

When on any mode the mirror and shutter sound is slow, even when set to its fastest level.

It was never dropped and I have updated the software to try and fix it, but to no avail .

What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Snapshot3

Make: Sigma

Model: 150m 1:2.8 APO Macro DG HMS

Fault: when Image Stabilization is engaged or lens is switched to Manual mode, the view through the eyepiece moves (much more than is usual with IS) when I take a shot (Nikon D7000 or D750) as if the glass inside the lens is moving and a noise can be heard (click) from the lens.Fault is intermittent but getting worse. Lens is just outside the warranty period (1 year)

Hope you can give me some feedback on this fault,
    Thanks for your time.

Mr Hamster.

It looking like I might need to send you my camera for repair. Its a d3100 with just over 6000 on the shutter count.

Im not sure what the problems are, but here are the symptoms .

When I turn the camera on or when its already on the flash pops up and the screen says flash mode. And shutter button will not work.

If I tap the camera on the side the flash mode screen disappears.

When on any mode the mirror and shutter sound is slow, even when set to its fastest level.

It was never dropped and I have updated the software to try and fix it, but to no avail .

What do you think?

Did the camera get wet or drop at all. The symptoms sound erratic which can point to that as a cause.

Will the camera record images or does it just cycle without recording a shot?

If you would like to PM me I can pass on my details to you?

• Advertisement

Snapshot3 wrote: »
    Make: Sigma

Model: 150m 1:2.8 APO Macro DG HMS

Fault: when Image Stabilization is engaged or lens is switched to Manual mode, the view through the eyepiece moves (much more than is usual with IS) when I take a shot (Nikon D7000 or D750) as if the glass inside the lens is moving and a noise can be heard (click) from the lens.Fault is intermittent but getting worse. Lens is just outside the warranty period (1 year)

Hope you can give me some feedback on this fault,
    Thanks for your time.

It sounds like the OS (IS) is possibly faulty. Can you see if the IS stabilises and image as you are composing?
    Sometimes IS units jerk as they activate and deactivate and can make strange noises but it should not jerk whilst in use.

Did the lens take a fall at all?
    I would definitely recommend contacting Sigma about the issue and pleading that it shouldn't be failing that close to the warranty ending etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Thanks Zerohamster. Your inbox is full. cant send you a PM

Thanks Zerohamster. Your inbox is full. cant send you a PM

Cleared a few there, send away.

It sounds like the OS (IS) is possibly faulty. Can you see if the IS stabilises and image as you are composing?
    Sometimes IS units jerk as they activate and deactivate and can make strange noises but it should not jerk whilst in use.

Did the lens take a fall at all?
    I would definitely recommend contacting Sigma about the issue and pleading that it shouldn't be failing that close to the warranty ending etc...

Thanks for getting back to me on this issue.
    The lens has not taken a fall or not been damaged in any way.
    I contacted Hahnel in Cork today (they are the Sigma repair people for Ireland) but they won't deal with the public (they say trade only).
    I got the Lens last year for a Christmas present (2013) from Amazon UK, I think I should contact Sigma UK and see what their reaction is.
    I have done a bit more research on the net, it seems that this is not a common fault but the same thing has happened a number of times (even to some of Amazon customers going by their review feedback) so it is a known issue with this lens but Sigma are not admitting it exists.

Thanks again for your reply and advice on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭cortinaG

I had the pleasure of contacting zerohamster over the weekend re an earlier post and found him to be extremly helpful and courtious.
    I will be sending him my 350d for a clean in the next few days.
    Highly reccomended.

• Advertisement

Snapshot3 wrote: »
    Thanks for getting back to me on this issue.
    The lens has not taken a fall or not been damaged in any way.
    I contacted Hahnel in Cork today (they are the Sigma repair people for Ireland) but they won't deal with the public (they say trade only).
    I got the Lens last year for a Christmas present (2013) from Amazon UK, I think I should contact Sigma UK and see what their reaction is.
    I have done a bit more research on the net, it seems that this is not a common fault but the same thing has happened a number of times (even to some of Amazon customers going by their review feedback) so it is a known issue with this lens but Sigma are not admitting it exists.

Thanks again for your reply and advice on this one.

No problem, I hope you get sorted!

cortinaG wrote: »
    I had the pleasure of contacting zerohamster over the weekend re an earlier post and found him to be extremly helpful and courtious.
    I will be sending him my 350d for a clean in the next few days.
    Highly reccomended.
    Thanks CortinaG!

Just a follow up on the Sigma 150mm Macro
    Got in contact with Hahnel Industries Ltd in Cork again and very helpful this time.
    Talked to a guy called Liam Ryan (he seems to be the Sigma guy there, very helpful, sent him the lens
    it needs a PCB and OS service, no charge for any parts and only a small charge for postage and work carried out.

So very happy with the result, must say Liam is a very good man to deal with and great service from Hahnel.
    Thanks for the advice here Zerohamster

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭rurz23

hi,
    i have a nikon d40x with an 18-55mm lens. I went to use it the other day only to find that the lens will not move from 55mm setting and when i took it out of camera there is a small bit of the plastic on the inside broken. If i place the lens back on v.carefully it will still take photos but not zoom etc. and other times the circular piece of plastic moves and makes the screen/shot black. i am v.basic with cameras and would appreciate any help. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭wex96

Hi, i have a canon efs18-135 is. something loose inside and rattlin', catches the zoom and focus.
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭mary90

Make: Canon

Model: 550D

Fault: Shutter button has stopped working. Happened on holiday, first day working fine, second day took 2-3 photos (needed extra force on the shutter) and now it wont work at all. It wasn't dropped or damaged by water or anything like that. It was my first time taking it abroad on a holiday so I minded it like a baby! It's about 3 years old but has only been used occasionally so it can't be worn already.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Hi zerohamster,

I was directed here after enquiring about camera cleaning in Dublin. So I've no specific problem as such, just looking for an expert to give it the once over. :)

My OP is here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Hi hamster

Camera: Toshiba Camelio S20

Problem: LCD viewscreen no longer level when extended and off 10 degrees.

Can I repair it myself?

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    Hi hamster

Camera: Toshiba Camelio S20

Problem: LCD viewscreen no longer level when extended and off 10 degrees.

Can I repair it myself?

Hi,

Sounds like it's a little wobbly?
    If so and you can access the screws then it should be doable yourself but if not then I am not familiar enough with this model to give better advice unfortunately.

mary90 wrote: »
    Make: Canon

Model: 550D

Fault: Shutter button has stopped working. Happened on holiday, first day working fine, second day took 2-3 photos (needed extra force on the shutter) and now it wont work at all. It wasn't dropped or damaged by water or anything like that. It was my first time taking it abroad on a holiday so I minded it like a baby! It's about 3 years old but has only been used occasionally so it can't be worn already.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Mary,

Thanks for the post.
    I would have to have a look at the camera to figure out what is wrong with it as from your description I can't tell.
    PM me for details if you would like.

• Advertisement

wex96 wrote: »
    Hi, i have a canon efs18-135 is. something loose inside and rattlin', catches the zoom and focus.
    thanks

Sounds like a loose screw on the cam barrel inside.
    Send me a PM and I can give you more details etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Harvey Wallbanger

Lens: Mir 24M 35m f/2.0

type: Russian manual lens

Fault: The main problem is that the aperture wheel is stuck and wont stop up/down. Also, it originally came with the option of either a Nikon or M42 mount, and as a result the small screws which hold the mount have gotten weak and lose, so would also need replacing.

I saw you're based in Greystones, funny coincidence as I grew up there - living in town now but am regularly out so would happily drop it over to you if you are familiar with fixing old manual lenses?

In either case any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cfrona

Hi, I have a navitar tv lens with aperture blades loose, can you help in any way?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Zebrano

Hi.
    Camera 500d
    Lens 18-200 sigma

I have 2 problems the first being when i line up a pic through the view finder and take it then on the screen the pic is crooked. Also when looking through the view finder the info at the bottom is blurry and wont come clear when i i move the little dial thing

Zebrano wrote: »
    Hi.
    Camera 500d
    Lens 18-200 sigma

I have 2 problems the first being when i line up a pic through the view finder and take it then on the screen the pic is crooked. Also when looking through the view finder the info at the bottom is blurry and wont come clear when i i move the little dial thing

I believe some part of the dioptre is broken or misaligned which is why you are seeing both crooked images and the dioptre is fully extended without the ability to adjust.
    The main cause for that fault is either impact or forcing the dioptre dial too far (impact most likely though).
    PM me if you are interested in repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Zebrano

I believe some part of the dioptre is broken or misaligned which is why you are seeing both crooked images and the dioptre is fully extended without the ability to adjust.
    The main cause for that fault is either impact or forcing the dioptre dial too far (impact most likely though).
    PM me if you are interested in repair.
    Pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cfrona

Lens:Navitar 75mm manual focus lens
    The focusing is not accurate, it is focusing past infinity.
    I was wondering if it can be adjusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭jbv

Have 2 Canon genuine batteries.
    Last night worked fine.
    This morning changed battery and the above message comes on when both batteries are on.
    Both are charging fine.
    Camera works fine, however battery level is blank.
    Is the batteries or the camera?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭blockman

Hi Zerohamster,

I have that dreaded error 99 on a Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM. Tried all the usual fixs, clean contacts, re-insert CF card etc but no good.

Camera works fine with other lens. Could do with your advice on what action to take next.

Regards

• Advertisement

blockman wrote: »
    Hi Zerohamster,

I have that dreaded error 99 on a Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM. Tried all the usual fixs, clean contacts, re-insert CF card etc but no good.

Camera works fine with other lens. Could do with your advice on what action to take next.

Regards

Sounds like the diaphragm has failed.
    PM me if you are interested in repair and I can give you details.

Advertisement