Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Amiko Alien 2 Triple Tuner Combobox

• 21-07-2012 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭championc

Hi All,

Looks like these are just out. I'm very tempted since I have a Panny G20B TV and so can only really record what I'm watching but with a Olympics and the 24 HD channels, The tripple tuner version is fitted with 2 x DVB-S2's and 1 x DVB-T. I know I'll have plenty recording and mo re importantly, overlapping, so I reckon I could be recording more than one channel simultaneously.
    body.jpg
    Has anyone got one of these ? Would be interested in any opinions. BTW, I assume I would simply run two cables from a Quad LNB to each of the two Tuner connections or do I need to get a Quattro LNB & Multiswitch ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

2 cables from a quad would be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Also known as the Fulan 7162 that I was talking about earlier in the year. The Spark software allows for dual boot sequences.

€250, not bad thought they would be a lot more. Disappointing that there is no CI Slot on these.

Tele satellites Review: PDF

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Looks like an interesting box. I have the 8820 combo from the same company and I am very happy with it, disappointed this wasn't out earlier or I would have went for it. Seems to have some nice features.. not sure what the enigma would be like on it? (Wonder if you can use images from the likes of vu+?)

You may also wish to know that SAB have a triple tuner based on the same Chipset (ST 7162) which also has the Spark firmware.

Its called the Sab Unix Triple HD

Its approx €199 with the third tuner.

214134.jpg

214133.png

Spec: http://www.sabsatellite.nl/new-products/558/sab-unix-triple-hd

Also consider the Golden Media Spark TRIPLEX

Same Chipset and Spark based Software. Like the Amiko & Sab (all Fulan 7162 boxes) No CI Slot, 2 Conax CA only.

€169.

214135.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ King Greasy Beekeeper

Who supplies these boxes?

Am I right in thinking they are Combo's?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Does 'Nig' come with Freesat 'Extensions' to automate picking the Freesat channels up.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Does anyone know if these boxes have Mheg5? ...Or what chipset they use?

It would be very good if it had an internal HDD.

It uses Linux, so does that mean it can be used to read the Freesat EPG?

Looks interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

i would also like to know who supplies these boxes

more importantly is there good images/support for them like the VU+, dream boxes etc?

Does anyone know if these boxes have Mheg5? ...Or what chipset they use?

It would be very good if it had an internal HDD.

It uses Linux, so does that mean it can be used to read the Freesat EPG?

Looks interesting.

They are based on the ST 7162 chip. CPU runs at 540mhz. The Spark software is written by Fulan which is all Picons and apps.

Yes you can run other Linux images, but you cant just stick a VU+Duo image on it. Theere will be similar linux E2 images compiled for the box. Thats the whole idea with the dual boot options of Spark software/Chip match.

Wall GUI
    552740_393783574003425_2089052733_n.jpg

Freesat mimicing like Crossepg etc. It wont autotune, there is still manual interaction. MHEG5. I dunno yet but given it has HBBTV, I would say it is a possibility.

All the boxes are clones from OEM, Fulan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭championc

Can someone just confirm that on these, they can stream channels out over the Ethernet interface ? And assuming you can, can any channels be viewed irrespective of what channel the device currently has on it front panel display ?

If I want to record two satellite channels simultaneously, can I still go with a quad LNB setup or should I consider the Quattro and Multiswitch route ?

BTW, can these record two Saorview programmes simultaneously ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 19hunters

The SAB looks a better looking box but bit dearer than others. They also do a nice qwerty keyboard

http://www.sabsatellite.nl/sab-unix-f-solo/532/sab-mini-wireless-keyboard-a802

Been looking for a box like this before I change over to combi stuff.

Next where to buy??

I bought a keyboard like this off eBay a year ago. Just search for Wireless Mini Keyboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

19hunters wrote: »
    The SAB looks a better looking box but bit dearer than others. They also do a nice qwerty keyboard

http://www.sabsatellite.nl/sab-unix-f-solo/532/sab-mini-wireless-keyboard-a802

Been looking for a box like this before I change over to combi stuff.

Next where to buy??

Amiko do the same mini keyboard. These are all clones of the Rii, the original Rii (if you can find one these days that's not a clone) is of much higher quality

• Registered Users Posts: 5,536 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Good to see some twin tuner satellite receivers reaching the market at a reasonable price.
    If they can get some decent Enigma 2 support then they would be a real contender.

Its ridiculous that there isnt a decent twin tuner enigma 2 box for under 200 euro ,the Vu+Duo has been the only real option for the last few years but it cost 400 euro.
    Its down to 300 euro now but its still too expensive .
    Hopefully this will shake the market up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

championc wrote: »
    Can someone just confirm that on these, they can stream channels out over the Ethernet interface ?

It's got a linux OS so I imagine it's more than possible

• Registered Users Posts: 1 matthewseaton

You can buy the sab one at zintek in tallaght. I know they got a few in I got one and paid 199. Still playing around with it so will keep everyone posted or if you need to try anything let me know. But bare in mind I'm a little new to all this

I've been trying to find some European Fourms for these (well the Amiko Alien 2) because Google searches lead you to ones where they are generally talking about the NA version (North America).

I've found two issues so far:-
    1. If you put into Standby, Timer Events will NOT take it out of Standby so your programmes will not be recorded
    2. If you Fast Forward while watching some previously recorded programme, it will not go back to normal playing again.

EDIT: I found http://www.sparkfans.net

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭b318isp

Can I confirm the DVB-T tuner picks up the Saorview channels?

b318isp wrote: »
    Can I confirm the DVB-T tuner picks up the Saorview channels?

Yes since box being sold by Irish sellers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

You can buy the sab one at zintek in tallaght. I know they got a few in I got one and paid 199. Still playing around with it so will keep everyone posted or if you need to try anything let me know. But bare in mind I'm a little new to all this

Is there rytec or any other xml epg support on these boxes?
    No full EPG would be a deal breaker for me.

EDIT: Finally got a few websites that confirm crossepg works on an enigma2 image on tehse boxes.

Might head up to Tallaght tomorrow to buy one, any feedback by anyone on the SAB Triple tuner (or SAB boxes in general?)

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭dubber

Anyone get this up an running with crossepg yet?

Picked up one of these for myself the other day and only got to install it today as it needed another feed from the dish. After getting through sorting a basic channel list I'm gutted to realise that the optical audio out isn't working, which I badly need as I don't use the crappy TV speakers at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Bozacke

Can anyone confirm that this or any of the combo boxes are FreeSat as opposed to FTA. I'm assuming this is FTA, which means it doesn't have a 7 day EPG and you can't do serial record. If this isn't, are there any Fresat\Saorview combo boxes?

Bozacke wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm that this or any of the combo boxes are FreeSat as opposed to FTA. I'm assuming this is FTA, which means it doesn't have a 7 day EPG and you can't do serial record. If this isn't, are there any Fresat\Saorview combo boxes?

Freesat is a branded Uk service. They dont make a combo box.

These Linux combo boxes do 7 day epg taking the data down from a transponder or via crossepg plugin.

]Hi STB,

Thanks for the reply, but can you translate?
    STB wrote: »
    These Linux combo boxes do 7 day epg taking the data down from a transponder or via crossepg plugin.[/QUOTE

Do I need to install a patch or something? Could anyone point me to more info on this and recommend a Linux box or equivalent that I can get a combo box with a 7 day epg? Does it combine the Saorview and FTA 7 day epg all in one? Also can these do do serial record?

Serial Link is a Sky Box feature only as far as I know

On the latest firmware 1.2.54, the 7 day EPG is working for Saorview but it's not right for FTA Satelite from Astra 2A/2B/2D (i.e. it may be working OK from other satellites). Now and Next "sort of" works. I have advised Fulan (via www.sparkfans.net) of the EPG freq details (11778 V FEC:2/3, Symbol Rate 27500) so hopefully the issue will be resolved asap.

I have been unable so far to install Enigma2 on this receiver so I have no idea as to whether the EPG will run properly or not. Does anyone know if the Satellite EPG works on Enigma2 based ST7111 based receivers ?

On the latest firmware 1.2.54, the 7 day EPG is working for Saorview but it's not right for FTA Satelite from Astra 2A/2B/2D (i.e. it may be working OK from other satellites). Now and Next "sort of" works. I have advised Fulan (via www.sparkfans.net) of the EPG freq details (11778 V FEC:2/3, Symbol Rate 27500) so hopefully the issue will be resolved asap.

I have been unable so far to install Enigma2 on this receiver so I have no idea as to whether the EPG will run properly or not. Does anyone know if the Satellite EPG works on Enigma2 based ST7111 based receivers ?

These boxes are not using ST7111 chip. They are using the The ST7162 chip.

If you are looking for an image to run alongside the Fulan software (remember it allows you keep both and choose which you want to boot with) you should look for ProTriplex_Alpha_v1 from NF-EOS-Dev Team.

Whilst Fulan are the behind the board design and Spark software, the boxes in the main (SAB/Golden Media/Amiko) all come out of the one manufacturing plant in Tangiers.

Well maybe it has a different name, but the Humax Foxsat has Serial link.

• Advertisement

Bozacke wrote: »

Well maybe it has a different name, but the Humax Foxsat has Serial link.

Yes, it's a Freesat box. Like Sky, Freesat has its own series link. Freesat is a joint venture between the BBC and ITV, they make their money on branded boxes like this.

The Amiko isn't a Freesat box, it does free to air.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement