Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Greek Exit Poll expected at 5pm (official) RESULT...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

The reaction from Syriza seems to have a good measure of relief. I'm not surprised given their promises - although they had been pulling back on the rhetoric over the past few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Manco

Now for the Greek center to collapse as it takes the hit for the continuing economic failure of austerity and the inevitable Greek exit from the Eurozone.

Also, here's a good site. The working class/rural divide seems to echo our recent referendum, which I guess makes Crete the Greece of Donegal! http://www.igraphics.gr/en/multimedia/2012/06/elections2012b

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Manco wrote: »
    Now for the Greek center to collapse as it takes the hit for the continuing economic failure of austerity and the inevitable Greek exit from the Eurozone.

Also, here's a good site. The working class/rural divide seems to echo our recent referendum, which I guess makes Crete the Greece of Donegal! http://www.igraphics.gr/en/multimedia/2012/06/elections2012b

Unless I'm mistaken there were only three constituencies in Ireland that recorded a no majority. And Donegal can be guaranteed to vote no to anything the government wants at this point. So not really seeing the correlation.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭LostinKildare

ND and Pasok would have a solid 22 seat majority on those numbers.

I think it's 151 that's required to form a govt -- if those projected numbers hold, then ND and Pasok together squeak in at 161.

Too weak to implement more austerity, especially with a now very strong Syriza leading the opposition. If they do form a ND/Pasok govt, how long do you think it'll last?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

...If they do form a ND/Pasok govt, how long do you think it'll last?

the German foreign minister is apparrently making noises about fiddling with the terms of the bailout to make life a bit easier for whatever Greek government emerges from this election - though i also understood that he'd suggested putting back the next tranche of money to ensure that the money was only paid once a government was in place, rather than paying now, only to find that no government came to power - or that despite ND coming first, they weren't able to form a viable coalition and SYRIZA helpfully stepping into the breech...

its not over - and SYRIZA doing so well shows the non-SYRIZA politicians that theres votes to be won by being delusional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

This is depressing, but not entirely unexpected. Fear is an incredibly powerful emotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

Personally I see it as no bad thing a fascist party getting seats. No worse than a communist party anyway. It opens the area up to potentially greater free speech and self-examination through the combating of extant ideas. Not that a communist or fascist government would be a good thing - no.. anything but.

Not to mention it gives the politicians one hell of a wake up call!

Advertisement