Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

lough ree

• 21-09-2011 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭

Hi, looking for a bit of advice on fishing Lough Ree. Myself and a friend are going up there on Saturday and neither of us have ever fished it. Ideally we’re after trout. He can fly fish well enough. I’m only learning as I mostly do sea fishing but I’ve done a couple of casting lessons and fished a couple of stocked lakes and a mountain lake in the west before and I can do a basic cast (most of the time!). Any advice on whether fly fishing or trolling would be more productive at this time of year? Also any advice on locations and boat rental would be much appreciated. Like I said it’d be nice to catch trout but if that’s not on the cards I’d be happy to fish for pike or perch so any advice much appreciated…Just want to get out and have a go on a lake before the season is out..thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

fly fishing or trolling will catch you trout on ree this time of year, i mostly troll and am catching quite a few trout (4 last sunday one at 3lb 4oz the others all over a lb),but it can be hit and miss! some guys are getting great success dapping crickets:), if into dapping? daddy's work on the fly too, check the forecast before you go, depending on what part of the lake you are going out from it will help!!! it can get very rough so be careful and the water is rising so the shallows are arent as visible as a few weeks ago,

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭mattcullen

Thanks Bayliner, that's got me motivated! think I have a daddy long legs fly. Any advice on lures or locations? Maybe as we don't know the lake we should just stay close to the shore when trolling? also is there anywhere you'd recomend for boat rental? Sorry for all the questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭mattcullen

Change of plan, we're going to Ennell now! thanks for the advice bayliner may put it to use again

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

mattcullen wrote: »
    Change of plan, we're going to Ennell now! thanks for the advice bayliner may put it to use again
    no worries:D,

Advertisement