Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

News and views on Greystones harbour and marina [SEE MODERATOR WARNING POST 1187]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Langerland

Derek Mitchell - March 10th, 2011
    "Currently not enough boat owners have expressed interest in paying for berths in the marina which could delay its completion beyond 2011. I believe that more are interested but they need to be contacted again."

Derek Mitchell - 2010
    "best Community Harbour in Ireland"

Surely they checked in advance to see if boat owners would be interested in berths in the best harbour in the country???

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

Langerland wrote: »
    Derek Mitchell - March 10th, 2011
    "Currently not enough boat owners have expressed interest in paying for berths in the marina which could delay its completion beyond 2011. I believe that more are interested but they need to be contacted again."

I will probably get blamed for that too in due course.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Blanchflower

Derek Mitchell has still to communicate with the people of Greystones as to when we will be getting our harbour back. His wishy washy update still leaves us none the wiser. If SISK and Park Developments are not going to honour their commitments its about time for the Council to call on the €10 million bond. With this money the could take the harbour into charge and carry out the necessary remideal works to landscape the area and make it fit and safe for the people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭GingerDave

Is the €10milion bond actually there in cash or a legal commitment to a cupboard (press) thats bare?

How does it work?

Also, €10m to get it open and safe, you must be having a laugh, wouldn't cost that much now would it?

A big packet of grass seed doesn't cost that much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

micandre wrote: »
    I see there's an update on Derek Mitchell's webpage.

http://www.derekmitchell.ie/?p=569

"Cllr Derek Mitchell welcomed the opening of the access from the harbour path to the new North Beach swimming area."
    And what a dismal, stony place it is.
    A far cry from the "new sandy beach" and "Landcaped public park" that were part of the deal. Nobody will want to swim there; they will go to the South Beach instead. The old harbour had a sheltered, safe, and sandy beach around the silted up inner harbour which was perfect for the tiny tots. Boats launched from the slip at the other side of the harbour, so there was never any conflict.

Derek Mitchell seems to be the only one in the picture there at the opening of his "new beach". Before congratulating himself too much on this "success", he should remind himself just how much he has lowered the bar in order to achieve it;

I'm sure many cannot now remember what was promised originally, so here's photos of the 2001 news update for the action plan (originally started 1999) which I still have. I will pass on the brochure to the next generation, so they know what they missed out on, while they also struggle with paying their share of the nation's IMF debts. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Alan_P

recedite wrote: »
    "Cllr Derek Mitchell welcomed the opening of the access from the harbour path to the new North Beach swimming area."
    And what a dismal, stony place it is.
    A far cry from the "new sandy beach" and "Landcaped public park" that were part of the deal. Nobody will want to swim there; they will go to the South Beach instead. The old harbour had a sheltered, safe, and sandy beach around the silted up inner harbour which was perfect for the tiny tots. Boats launched from the slip at the other side of the harbour, so there was never any conflict.

Derek Mitchell seems to be the only one in the picture there at the opening of his "new beach". Before congratulating himself too much on this "success", he should remind himself just how much he has lowered the bar in order to achieve it;

I'm sure many cannot now remember what was promised originally, so here's photos of the 2001 news update for the action plan (originally started 1999) which I still have. I will pass on the brochure to the next generation, so they know what they missed out on, while they also struggle with paying their share of the nation's IMF debts. :mad:

Believe it or not, the original web site is still up :-

http://www.greystonesharbour.ie/

Someone should save a copy of it for prosperity :- I'm guessing it will disappear fairly soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭sagat2

Alan_P wrote: »
    Believe it or not, the original web site is still up :-

http://www.greystonesharbour.ie/

Someone should save a copy of it for prosperity :- I'm guessing it will disappear fairly soon.

Looking at the picture reminds me of how hideous and out of place those George Jetson esq apartments would look. Some architects need a good kneecapping.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Alan_P wrote: »

Here you are for posterity

5517611547_3a3161bb43_z.jpg
    Harbour

The 4 storey medical centre is let to the HSE so this phase should cover its costs and I think it will get funding, however NAMA could take time to make this decision.

How could this claim by Derek Mitchell be true? So now he claims that the proposed rental income is more than the costs of building the health centre, clubhouses and public square. Do me a favour. Is it any wonder the counrty is bankrupt when our public representatives have no concept of money and all things financial. NAMA will in reality take no time in making this decision. Its just that their decision to refuse funding is being supressed as that would reveal to the people of Greystones that the project is at an end.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

A few months ago a friend of mine contacted a number of marinas and ports down the east coast looking for a mooring for a boat he might buy. He was given waiting lists of between 5 years at some and some said the waiting list was that long they were not adding any more names. Where has this demand gone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,724 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Folks can we please keep this on the topic of the marina rather than moaning about councillors? I may have to lock the thread if it is continuously used for the purpose of giving out about councillors

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Jimjay wrote: »
    A few months ago a friend of mine contacted a number of marinas and ports down the east coast looking for a mooring for a boat he might buy. He was given waiting lists of between 5 years at some and some said the waiting list was that long they were not adding any more names. Where has this demand gone?

Taking to the people in Dun Laoghaire where I keep my boat they laughed when I asked about a waiting list. They said they haven't had one for a few years and no marina in Ireland has one any more. Swinging moorings have a list in some places because they are a tiny fraction of marina costs (for obvious reasons), but Greystones is looking to tap into an ever diminishing market by the sounds of it.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Taking to the people in Dun Laoghaire where I keep my boat they laughed when I asked about a waiting list. They said they haven't had one for a few years and no marina in Ireland has one any more. Swinging moorings have a list in some places because they are a tiny fraction of marina costs (for obvious reasons), but Greystones is looking to tap into an ever diminishing market by the sounds of it.

The marina aspect of the development is a sideshow as it was never intended to be self funding due to the small size of the marina. The real profits were intended to be made on the sales of apartments and houses at the height of the property bubble. At the bubble has evaporated, never to be repeated in our lifetime the whole financial rationale for the development is null and void. The €80 million in borrowed money used by the Sisk/Park Development consortium now has no real commercial value. The councillors responsible for pushing through this development during the period of the property bubble must now be held accountable for their actions and take responsibility to ensure the mess at the harbour is rectified. So George Jones and Derek Mitchell what are you going to do to solve this fiasco.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭tennisplayer

The marina aspect of the development is a sideshow as it was never intended to be self funding due to the small size of the marina. The real profits were intended to be made on the sales of apartments and houses at the height of the property bubble. At the bubble has evaporated, never to be repeated in our lifetime the whole financial rationale for the development is null and void. The €80 million in borrowed money used by the Sisk/Park Development consortium now has no real commercial value. The councillors responsible for pushing through this development during the period of the property bubble must now be held accountable for their actions and take responsibility to ensure the mess at the harbour is rectified. So George Jones and Derek Mitchell what are you going to do to solve this fiasco.
    So you keep saying time and time again ON HERE, but say it to them seeing as you feel so strong about it. You are beginning to repeat yourself A LOT and diminishing the impact of your statements here. Put up or....

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

So you keep saying time and time again ON HERE, but say it to them seeing as you feel so strong about it. You are beginning to repeat yourself A LOT and diminishing the impact of your statements here. Put up or....

So don't read it if it upsets you:confused:

I've already issued a moderators warning to keep the thread on topic. I will lock the thread if it just descends into talking about councillors

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭darter

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    I've already issued a moderators warning to keep the thread on topic. I will lock the thread if it just descends into talking about councillors

As the OP who started this thread I ask everyone please to remember what I said in that very first post:

I'd like to start a thread that collects news and views on Greystones harbour and marina. Given the demonstrated eager propensity of the large-handed moderators to close anything down quickly if it strays from the topic of the OP, I ask that all of you who want to discuss anything other than "News and views on Greystones harbour and marina" do it in a separate thread. That way perhaps we can avoid the thread being closed whilst there are still very active participants providing useful information to the community...

What I said then 18 months ago way back on 23 Sept 2009 possibly helped to keep this very useful and informative thread open to now 36 pages and 527 posts. Would be a shame to see it closed as the issue of the harbour and marina is just as relevant today as it was back in Sept 2009.

Those who wish to talk about the councillors, please start a thread on that topic.

darter wrote: »
    As the OP who started this thread I ask everyone please to remember what I said in that very first post:

I'd like to start a thread that collects news and views on Greystones harbour and marina. Given the demonstrated eager propensity of the large-handed moderators to close anything down quickly if it strays from the topic of the OP, I ask that all of you who want to discuss anything other than "News and views on Greystones harbour and marina" do it in a separate thread. That way perhaps we can avoid the thread being closed whilst there are still very active participants providing useful information to the community...

What I said then 18 months ago way back on 23 Sept 2009 possibly helped to keep this very useful and informative thread open to now 36 pages and 527 posts. Would be a shame to see it closed as the issue of the harbour and marina is just as relevant today as it was back in Sept 2009.

Those who wish to talk about the councillors, please start a thread on that topic.

No need to repeat a moderators request or do back seat modding by telling people what to do

Terry Pratchet

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    No need to repeat a moderators request or do back seat modding by telling people what to do

I merely repeated my first post, and as the OP of this thread I have that right. No need for the mods to repeat their admonitions and threats.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

darter wrote: »
    as the OP of this thread I have that right.

You have no rights as an OP.

darter warned for back seat modding and off topic posting.

• Advertisement

Damo9090 wrote: »
    You have no rights as an OP.

darter warned for back seat modding and off topic posting.

This is all very polite lads and lassies but when will those blasted hoardings around our harbour come down? As yet another summer season approaches these infernal things must be taken down as a matter of extreme urgency.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Sticky Fingers

As €60,000 has just been spent on new hoardings, I doubt very much that they will be coming down this year, Or next mind you. It all looks very permanent to me. :mad:

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

As €60,000 has just been spent on new hoardings,

That is shocking. The landscaping could have been covered with that to make it look somewhat better than it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

I don't get it. Are the hoardings there because it's ugly, or because it's not safe for public access?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭F3

I don't get it. Are the hoardings there because it's ugly, or because it's not safe for public access?

The hoardings are there for two reasons. 1) WCC cannot legally do anything to force a change in programme or a partial takeover until 2014 when SISPAR are contractually bound to have the works completed. Only when that date expires will SISPAR be in a defacto breach of contract for failing to complete.So until then it will remain a building site, that needs to be protected and secured.

2). In the meantime, WCC are awaiting a decision from NAMA regarding the funding of the medical centre (with 11 apartments over), a carpark, the public hard landscaped area and the 5 community structures. Herein lies the rub!

NAMA cannot fund the 5 community buildings or public areas as there is no asset value in doing so.The 11 apartments are most likely a part of the SISPAR business plan to NAMA to Market test an interest generally which might spark sales in the remaining 350 units to be completed and thus within NAMA's power to fund same as it will get them closer to recovering the 80million or so spent on the marine works.

Now, if hell freezes over, and NAMA does in fact fund 5 community buildings, then the hoardings need to stay to secure the building site. WCC need to realistic and push NAMA to hurry up and make a decision now. If the medical centre et al gets the green light and not the 5 buildings, then the hoarding could come down, or at least get replaced with railings, but access will only be to the east pier and possibly the west, but not the north pier. There will be some works required to make the public harbour and piers safe for the public, but this will involve a change in the contract that WCC has with Sispar for an early handover. Such a change however, may be traded with an extension to the 2014 date I mentioned earlier, it's a bit of a mess I know but with the right leadership it could happen.......NAMA needs a kick in the ass to begin with to just give it's decision. Although it's PPP, it's quite different, if it were a road like the M1 and the contractor decided half way through to stop work as the traffic flows (to be tolled) are not what they thought at tender, do you think for a minute the NRA would tell the public they were waiting on a decision from AIB to see when the road would be finished? Neither do I.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Also, we wouldn't want the ladies of Greystones being offended by the sight of all those Polish men working without their shirts on.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Son of Jack

Message from Gráinne McLoughlin, following her co-option to Wicklow County Council & Greystones Town Council in place of Simon Harris.

“It is indeed an honour to be elected by my fellow members in the Greystones Branch of Fine Gael and I look forward to the challenges ahead; and to follow on in the superb work that Simon Harris did and continues to do for all the electorate.

It has always been my privilege to work for the community and over the years I have enjoyed the challenge of directing the Greystones Arts Festival, representing Greystones and recently County Wicklow at the world LivCom Awards, whereupon we won gold on both occasions .......

Going forward, I will be fighting to get the hoardings removed so that the harbour can be returned to the people – for the use of the people. I will be fighting for the development of the community facilities with the primary care unit so that at least, in the short term, the south end of the development is completed and its space utilized to the full.

Nothing will be achieved by hoardings been up, and everything will be achieved by developing a vibrant tourism amenity not only for the people of Greystones, but the East Coast of Ireland.

As a result, I have plans in my head to develop another festival in the town coupled with a marine tourism conference. I still work with the Association of Irish Festival Events and have close ties with the organizers of Ireland’s major marine festivals. As the most livable community in the world, everything is possible in Greystones and I will do my upmost to realise those possibilities.

...........To conclude, I cannot promise anything in these times except to work really hard, to be honest and to be the best representation of the electorates views, as best as I can”.

(my block font and underlining). Councillor McLoughlin has been successful in the past. Good to hear she would work towards the removal of the hoardings.

Going forward, I will be fighting to get the hoardings removed so that the harbour can be returned to the people – for the use of the people.

Them is fighting words indeed from Grainne McLoughlin. These undemocratic hoardings must be entirely removed before the end of April 2011 so that the people have their harbour back for the summer. The battle of Greystones Harbour is about to begin with Councillor McLoughlin our Joan of Arc figure head.

396px-Joan_of_arc_miniature_graded.jpg

Go get them Grainne and demolish those hoardings and take back the harbour. (I think I can get my hand on a couple of bull dozers which might come in handy!!!!)

...with Councillor McLoughlin our Joan of Arc figure head.)

... we all know what happened to Joan of Arc :eek:

Joking aside, this is the best bit of good news in a long while. Someone fighting at WCC to get them damn hoardings removed - despite their €60K cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,412 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It's a pity she didn't get her text proofread before she issued it.

Advertisement