Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DRD in Northern Ireland Headed By Sinn Fein Discriminate Against a Protestant

• 20-06-2012 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

For all the years Sinn Fein argued for no discrimination in the work place in Northern Ireland, here we have evidence of one of their top men possibly selecting a lesser qualified candidate for a top position because of his religion.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-18526303

With Northern Ireland driving towards a society where there is a shared future...if Conor Murphy and the DRD do not win their appeal (if they submit one)...what then for Mr Murphy.

If someone is found guilty of religious discrimination they should be sacked...especially if that someone is a politician who should be setting an example...in particular in Northen Ireland. No ifs or buts.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 141 ✭✭Patrick Cleburne

An ex PIRA terrorist who hates Protestants, who would have thought eh? Should get sacked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Jaap wrote: »

If someone is found guilty of religious discrimination they should be sacked...especially if that someone is a politician who should be setting an example...in particular in Northen Ireland. No ifs or buts.

He should be sacked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

What so out of 5 protestants and a catholic going for a job. It just couldn't be possible that the catholic was the most suitable.

If Mr Murphy genuinely believed Mr Hogan was the right person for the job what is the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

woodoo wrote: »
    What so out of 5 protestants and a catholic going for a job. It just couldn't be possible that the catholic was the most suitable.

If Mr Murphy genuinely believed Mr Hogan was the right person for the job what is the problem.

It seems the catholic gentlemen was the least qualified person but happened to be a mate of conners

Department of Regional Development discriminated against candidate

The Department of Regional Development has lost a religious discrimination case at an industrial tribunal.

It found evidence by Sinn Fein's Conor Murphy "implausible and lacking credibility".

The case was brought by Alan Lennon, a Protestant overlooked for the post of chairman of NI Water.

Deciding Mr Lennon was discriminated against, the tribunal believe Mr Murphy - minister at the time - also broke the code of practice for appointments.

In March 2011, Mr Murphy appointed a Catholic as chairman, Sean Hogan, ahead of four others shortlisted after interview, all of them Protestants.

According to the tribunal, Mr Hogan was selected because "he was not from a Protestant background and because he was known to the minister and his (then Sinn Fein) ministerial colleagues", Michelle Gildernew and Caitriona Ruane, who were consulted about the appointment.

The BBC has seen the 26-page decision issued to those involved.

It concluded: "The tribunal is in considerable doubt as to whether the merit principle was adhered to by the minister and whether Mr Hogan was the best candidate."

It also said Mr Murphy had added new criteria to the selection process "in order to secure Mr Hogan's appointment", something it viewed as a breach of the code and procedures for appointments.

The tribunal disputed Mr Murphy's claim he was unaware of the religion of the candidates.

'Material bias'
    "In the reality of the political and religious environment in Northern Ireland, the tribunal finds the minister's evidence is implausible and lacks credibility."

The tribunal also said that during Mr Murphy's time as DRD minister - between 2007-2011, there was "a material bias against the appointment of candidates from a Protestant background".

The findings added: "The tribunal is concerned that Dr (Malcolm) McKibbin as permanent secretary with DRD and currently head of the NI Civil Service was not more aware of the situation."

The tribunal rejected Mr Lennon's claim there was also political discrimination, saying there was "a paucity of evidence".

Mr Lennon's case was assisted by the Equality Commission.

Its chief executive Evelyn Collins said: "We supported this case because it is our view that the standards of fairness and non-discrimination that we expect in employment situations should apply equally to all public appointments.

"A key part of this is the requirement for a sufficient degree of transparency and accountability in the process to assure people that selection is based on merit and that, if unlawful discrimination occurs, it can be challenged."

The DRD said in a short statement it would take time to consider the ruling.

In a statement Mr Murphy said: "I absolutely refute any allegation of discrimination against Alan Lennon on religious grounds.

"I stand over all of the appointments I made as the regional development minister and adhered to all the set criteria for such appointments.

"The department have six weeks to decide whether to appeal this ruling. Having read the ruling myself I would be urging the department to utilise the appeals process."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-18526303

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Sounds more like nepotism than religious discrimination.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Either way, the fact is that its sufficiently dubious to warrant a sacking. Theres no point in replacing one sectarian dodgy regime with another.

Still discrimination whatever you call it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Can we not go with the standard of northern politicians that is generally quite poor even in comparison to the rest of Irelands politicians. We have nepotism, gombeenism and idiocy but quite simply we don't have it as bad as our northern friends politicians who have earned many of these tags and more to their name.

I think their politicians are generally more crap than our crap politicians just to say.

I feel it's like comparing the world corruption index here to China or Iraq, we need to have our own standards, feck everything else, learn what we can but aim for better, I dunno, maybe just wishful thinking on my behalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Going on the facts given this is an absolute disgrace

It seems sinn fein believes rules don't apply to them in other ways as well, recent newspaper report says they are fiddling the books in Westminster by claiming expenses and not attending. Some of you might say FairPlay for screwing the British exchequer but if you read the full articule it seems they are screwing the Irish exchequer to

Sinn Fein under fire over Westminster expense claims

Sinn Fein is milking Westminster to claim £460,000 a year for its constituency offices in Northern Ireland — despite none of its MPs taking their seats.

And its TDs are breaking parliamentary rules in the Republic by paying activists out of cash claimed for travel expenses.

Sinn Fein said people voted for its abstentionist MPs and that it used the money to provide “first-class constituency services”.

Recently, the party announced four MPs who are also MLAs would stand down from the Assembly to concentrate on Westminster.

The move could prove lucrative. Sinn Fein would have lost more than £700,000 in future expenses had they not ordered its five MPs to quit Stormont.

A redrafting of expenses by the Report of the Independent Financial Review Panel will progressively reduce the £73,583 in office expenses MLAs now receive.

If an Assembly member was also an MP they were entitled to just half the office expenses a non double-jobbing MLA received.

But the amount of Office Cost Expenditure (OCE) payable to MLAs who are also MPs is limited to £27,594 per annum this financial year, £17,844 for 2013/14 and £8,655 for 2014/15, an Assembly spokesperson said.

When the four Sinn Fein MPs quitting the Assembly are replaced and Deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness steps down as an MP, the party will benefit from full OCE allowances.

Meanwhile, prominent front benchers in the Irish government have revealed that part of their expenses claims were diverted to pay additional staff.

Unspent travel expenses are supposed to be returned under rules introduced in 2010.

Yet in one case, Sinn Fein finance spokesman Pearse Doherty put €8,000 (£6,500) worth of unspent travel and accommodation expenses towards hiring part-time party workers.

Another frontbencher, foreign affairs spokesman Padraig MacLochlainn, also confirmed that he used unspent expenses in the same way. The revelation is likely to fuel calls for an inquiry into how the party uses taxpayer funds. Despite the admissions, Sinn Fein headquarters last night denied that its TDs were using unspent expenses in this way.

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/ne...#ixzz1yQDhdQDf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

Why would religion ever come up on a job application of interview? What was the first question - do you believe in transubstantiation?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Why would religion ever come up on a job application of interview?

It wouldn't. All local applicants in NI are required to identify which community they come from.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Nepotisim or discrimination he should be sacked. Its simply not good enough to discriminate against people because of their beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

ardmacha wrote: »
    It wouldn't. All local applicants in NI are required to identify which community they come from.

Really? Seems an odd way to move past the divisions of old, no? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

That is crazy. Why is it necessary to divulge your 'community'? How does an applicant identify this? Is it 'options with tick boxes' or are they required to state 'I'm from The Falls Road'

Sack Conor Murphy and get that practice changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Jaap

Just heard on UTV Live this evening that in recent years if you applied for a job with the DRD if you were a catholic you were twice as likely to get a job than if you were a protestant.

In most other Northern Ireland government bodies their intake of new employees was evenly spread between the two religions.

I think we will all be interested in the result of the appeal of the DRD.

If I was Conor Murphy I would be fighting to clear my own name. Let's see how hard he tries. Or will he just hope that the story goes off the radar.

I'm surprised that unionist politicians haven't been on getting their digs in to Sinn Fein and Conor Murphy. All the Northern Ireland parties are probabably at the same thing. It would be sad if that was the case.

That is crazy. Why is it necessary to divulge your 'community'? How does an applicant identify this? Is it 'options with tick boxes' or are they required to state 'I'm from The Falls Road'

Sack Conor Murphy and get that practice changed.

It's options with tick boxes and it was brought in to insure there was no religious discrimination

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Just heard on UTV Live this evening that in recent years if you applied for a job with the DRD if you were a catholic you were twice as likely to get a job than if you were a protestant.

This is not in itself evidence of discrimination. There is a developing trend in NI where Catholics are somewhat better educated than Protestants, especially as the latter go to third level education in Britain and don't come back. This will attract comment in future years.
    I'm surprised that unionist politicians haven't been on getting their digs in to Sinn Fein and Conor Murphy. All the Northern Ireland parties are probabably at the same thing. It would be sad if that was the case.

Politicians never throw stones in this type of thing as they would hope to do the same themsevles. Judge not lest ye be judged.

Advertisement