Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

For people that leave their dogs home alone during the day

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭sn00ps

I think the kennel idea is a good one. Off to a wedding on Weds and he's going on hols overnight .. at least it means we can relax. I know it's not always easy to plan these things, just a habit I need to get into and to be fair, 1 night of kenneling is less than a round of drinks!

Thanks for your help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭elainepie

We wrap little bits of chicken or Crackerjacks up in twists of newspaper and hide them about the house, so our dog has to go hunt for them. We leave them in shoes, behind the couch etc. and try to change where we leave them each day. It's part of the routine when we are leaving the dog in to house that she has to go out into the hallway while we hide some treat and we then give her one directly and tell her to "mind the house". By that stage, she's dying for us to leave so she can start her hunt! We frequently come back to find she hasn't eaten all the treats, but she knows where they are, as she goes and gets them as soon as we come in the door, as if to show off!

thanks for these great ideas! I have to go back to work in september and have agonised about the problems this will cause with the dog. But having got this advice and asked my trainer it seems that it is ok once as you have all said i run the dog in the morn b4 i go and when i get back. Hopefully this will be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭LauraLoo

My dog is 10 and she has been left alone while at work since i got her at 10 months.

Once she has her walks to give her a change of scene she's happy

she has two cats to live with and loves them- i have noticed her happier since she has company.

I do leave either the tv or radio on and my mother-in-law comes over at lunch hour to let her out to the field for a sniff.

She used to be left outdoors all day in my old house but since ive moved into my own place she stays indoors- she seems much happier indoors. i often find her sleeping in the washing basket so it might be good to leave something that smells of yourself to lie on if she/he is missing you.

Also, the bach flower remedies works absolute wonders for my pets- depending on the personality issue, there is a remedy for nearly every issue. If you do find your dog stressed out you could try one or two combinations http://www.bachflower.com/Pets.htm

Advertisement