Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do you get annoyed with people constantly texting on nights out?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

rox5 wrote: »
    I know that friends say I am good company

That's not what they tell me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

It's hard to get the shift too when they're glued to the phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

Oh...and people who take photos of their meal in the restaurant.
    And insist of taking more photos every 5-7 minutes when you're just trying to get clandestinely drunk.
    WTF.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Seachmall wrote: »
    That's not what they tell me.

Have you ever considered that they may be having you on? One of you guys is clearly getting the run around here and the sooner you guys can get it sorted out, the less texting that will have to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,699 ✭✭✭Nuts102

Or when your out and tell the other half your having a quiet night in. Then she see's you tagged by a friend out in the pub. I mean who cares where you are why tag people without asking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

It does my head in. When I get a text while I'm out, I'll have a quick discreet look to see if it's important (it almost never is), then reply when I'm up at the bar/in the toilet/having a smoke.

Sitting there glued to your phone all night is ridiculously rude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭rox5

brummytom wrote: »
    It does my head in. When I get a text while I'm out, I'll have a quick discreet look to see if it's important (it almost never is), then reply when I'm up at the bar/in the toilet/having a smoke.

Sitting their glued to your phone all night is ridiculously rude.

Same here, coz I want to check just in case it was an emergency. I've found myself even yawning in nights out coz I would be so tired and bored!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭Mazeire

I never did care about the little things....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I find that the people that most complain about it are the sort that want everybody to give their own interminable job and relationship tales sole and undivided attention all night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lkionm

Recently saw a young girl texting during the funeral Mass.
    I don't own a mobile phone, and yes it is infuriating.
    Would seriously put me off someone if dating and getting to know someone.

WOAH, you don't own a phone?

How does that happen?

• Advertisement

anncoates wrote: »
    I find that the people that most complain about it are the sort that want everybody to give their own interminable job and relationship tales sole and undivided attention all night.

That is not the case. I agree, I don't mean that I expect the person to give me attention only ALL night (I would not want that at all, it would be too annoying) but at least have the decency to listen when I am trying to talk about something instead of whipping out the phone when the get a text while I am trying to talk. Then it is impossible because they completely zone out and it's like they genuinely can't hear you.

That is not the case. I agree, I don't mean that I expect the person to give me attention only ALL night (I would not want that at all, it would be too annoying) but at least have the decency to listen when I am trying to talk about something instead of whipping out the phone when the get a text while I am trying to talk. Then it is impossible because they completely zone out and it's like they genuinely can't hear you.

So basically what you are telling us is that you will never be happy and will have something to complain about.

Welcome home, son.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

None of my friends do this thankfully. Have had people do it to me before , so so rude, next time somebody does it to mean I'm gonna take out a book and start reading it :pac:

lkionm wrote: »
    So basically what you are telling us is that you will never be happy and will have something to complain about.

Welcome home, son.

Emm...no I didnt! Jesus!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,163 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mazeire wrote: »
    I never did care about the little things....

I wonderif anyone else will cop this reference!

Emm...no I didnt! Jesus!

See, never happy.

See, never happy.

It's not that i am not happy, I'm just annoyed over how you are trying to stir things up by making out that I can't be happy about anything, which by the way I am, it just a little decency and manners wouldn't go astray with some people.

It's not that i am not happy, I'm just annoyed over how you are trying to stir things up by making out that I can't be happy about anything, which by the way I am, it just a little decency and manners wouldn't go astray with some people.

I'm only yurting with you. You said you werent happy when they are on their phone and then would be annoyed if they werent on their just looking at you expecting you to do something. I was being sarcastic.

Would you be annoyed if they were on their phone to bring some ho's over and you ended up getting the ride?

In my opinion that is the only valid excuse to text on a night out or organise a houseparty after.

Emergency? sure you would be locked leaving the house so you cant do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Karona

I had a going away party a few years ago and I went out with a few friends to a nice cocktail bar. One of the girls sat there all night on her mobile phone texting and then she would go off and ring the person, I asked her what was the point in going out and she shrugged her shoulders and said sure its your going away party. She was only back from that girls house that day so how could they have anything else to talk about!

This is after Hours my dear. You are more likely to find a leprechaun hunting dodo's through the lost city of Atlantis on the back of a Unicorn than you are to find manners here.

• Advertisement

Mazeire wrote: »
    This is after Hours my dear. You are more likely to find a leprechaun hunting dodo's through the lost city of Atlantis on the back of a Unicorn than you are to find manners here.

Way to tar us all with the same brush there. So rude :p

Karona wrote: »
    I had a going away party a few years ago and I went out with a few friends to a nice cocktail bar. One of the girls sat there all night on her mobile phone texting and then she would go off and ring the person, I asked her what was the point in going out and she shrugged her shoulders and said sure its your going away party. She was only back from that girls house that day so how could they have anything else to talk about!

She didn't want to be there. As you say that this happened a few years ago I'd assume that by now the reasons behind this have become clear to you since.

Way to tar us all with the same brush there. So rude :p

I loves me a sweeping generalisation :D

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭VanishingActs

Thankfully I'm friends with people who also find this annoying so we have relatively phone-free nights out. It's nice. We don't even take that many pictures when we're out because why would we want 50 pictures of us... standing posing for pictures? That's not a memory!

People checking in annoys me. I mean, if you're at like the Taj Mahal or something, by all means, check in. But why on earth would anyone care that you're in the Supermacs 2 minutes from your house? Really, WHO WOULD CARE ABOUT THIS.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I txt when im out but I'll never do it mid conversation. That's rude imo.

If you are texting someone odds are it ain't too important

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

WOAH, you don't own a phone?

How does that happen?
    Long story short...I threw it against a wall about 5 years ago, after a blazing row with my partner, due to receiving unsolicited text messages and incessant calls from my ex partner.
    I feel totally free without it, and nobody bothers me asking where I am or what time will I be home etc.

I use payphones and keep meetings punctual.
    I don't think I'll ever use another.....unless I go self employed or something.
    Hate the things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭btard

I generally don't hang around with ignorant or bad mannerd people, so it doesn't affect me that much.

Long story short...I threw it against a wall about 5 years ago, after a blazing row with my partner, due to receiving unsolicited text messages and incessant calls from my ex partner.
    I feel totally free without it, and nobody bothers me asking where I am or what time will I be home etc.

I use payphones and keep meetings punctual.
    I don't think I'll ever use another.....unless I go self employed or something.
    Hate the things.

I suppose your right if you have the internet and emails and facebook sure. Imagine not having a phone or internet.

You are one step ahead of society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I mean, god give me the strength not to take my friend's phones and dunk them into a pint of beer! I half give up making conversation half the night because they are constantly glued to the phone, texting or calling someone. One would even check her phone while we dance. I just think it is really rude and unless it was a serious emergancy all these texts and calls can wait!
    :mad:

Ever heard of a 3G jammer, OP?

• Advertisement

Ever heard of a 3G jammer, OP?

No, what's that? :):)

Advertisement