Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tesco in Bantry

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

black47 wrote: »
    It's hard to believe that the process of trying to rezone the land for Tesco started back in circa. 2007. All those years of effort with rezoning, planning, An bord pleanala appeals and when the developers finally get their planning, nothing happens. Bantry always seems to be 1 step behind every other town in west cork when it should be the premier town.
    I was just thinking how long the bypass has been talked about.If I hear anything of interest during the week end I will post it.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭black47

mp22 wrote: »
    I was just thinking how long the bypass has been talked about.If I hear anything of interest during the week end I will post it.

I rem something about a few years ago. They were going to start phase 1. It was going to start at the Westlodge and pass by the new Gaelscoil and Community Schools. providing bus access to the schools and direct access to the hospital from that side of town. Even that would have reduced some of the traffic coming into town and up the mill hill.

I thought that it was through statutary approvals and was ready to proceed. Probably cancelled due to financial crisis. Phase 2 was going to continue over towards slip park and come out beyond Quick pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 celticbouy

has the tesco dream died:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

This is bantry we are talking about nothing gets done here

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

celticbouy wrote: »
    has the tesco dream died:(
    It looks like it is gone.

shamrock55 wrote: »
    This is bantry we are talking about nothing gets done here
    Tut tut we go the new school last year,I cant remember when they started talking about it.The new square that leaves no parking for anyone on Fridays.Oh and the nice new half round building at the end of the square.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭sonnyblack

mp22 wrote: »
    It looks like it is gone.

I heard that it's gone alright. All all accounts the principal developer has not got the money to finance it because of being caught out on another project. It's such a shame. Maybe the fact that the land has now been zoned might encourage another big name such as dunnes to take up the running with the site. At least it has forced Biggs into going for planning to build down by the slob. The town will get a new store and proper parking out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭tech

No more news of Tesco in Bantry so ?

tech wrote: »
    No more news of Tesco in Bantry so ?
    Not a word I`m afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Edgey75

to be honest i dont know what half of the fuss is about, something like 80% of bantry people dont shop in bantry, supervalue is dire compaired to the one over in skib, bantry really needs some competition.
    that said i will still go to my butchers as their meat is 100% better than supermarket meat

I see that Biggs/O'Keefee have resubmitted their planning for the ESB site down near the strand. They had to re-advertise and resubmit a new application due to all the additional information being requested. They are taking a bit of land off the council car park as well for the scheme. They should have plannned and built this scheme years ago rather than holding the town to ransom with their monopoly. Their hand is being forced now. People are voting with their feet now and shopping in Kenmare, Skibb Dunmanway Clon and even Cronins Ballylickey. Expecting elderly people to push their trolleys down the square on a winters day is ridiculous. I'd say that they must have an understanding that the planning will be granted.

I've also heard that the Tesco deal is not dead and talks with the landowner are still going on. Could be a bit of movement in the next few months. These 2 schemes could put the town back on track. A number of pubs and shops have/will be closing in the next few months by all accounts due to lack of business. These schemes together with the inner harbour plans (planning granted) could put the town back on the map as the place in West Cork to shop and do business and visit. Big shout out to Cllr Mary Hegarty. She invited reps of 6/7 cruise liners to see the sights around the town before Christmas. This will encourage passengers to disembark onto the newly constructed pontoons and spend their money during the summer season. Clever woman

• Advertisement

I see that Biggs have a decision to grant permission for their proposed development down near the strand. The Tesco Developer has put in an observation on the planning so will most likely appeal the deciision to An Bord Pleanala. This will delay any development for up to a year. I can't understand why both parties couldn't have met years ago and come to some sort of agreement in relation to not objecting to each others plans. Clonakilty have Supervalu, Dunnes and either a Lidl or Aldi on it's way. The town is flying even though it's not a patch on Bantry for scenic setting. Bantry can't seem to see that the more choices you have for retail, the more people will come to town and make a day out of it spending their money in pubs and restaurants and indeed smaller retailers around town. The town is the most scenically impressive in the county particularily with the Inner harbour plans and yet there is practically no reason for shoppers to visit. 2 steps forward 1 step back with the locals being the big losers

sonnyblack wrote: »
    I see that Biggs/O'Keefee have resubmitted their planning for the ESB site down near the strand. They had to re-advertise and resubmit a new application due to all the additional information being requested. They are taking a bit of land off the council car park as well for the scheme. They should have plannned and built this scheme years ago rather than holding the town to ransom with their monopoly. Their hand is being forced now. People are voting with their feet now and shopping in Kenmare, Skibb Dunmanway Clon and even Cronins Ballylickey. Expecting elderly people to push their trolleys down the square on a winters day is ridiculous. I'd say that they must have an understanding that the planning will be granted.

I've also heard that the Tesco deal is not dead and talks with the landowner are still going on. Could be a bit of movement in the next few months. These 2 schemes could put the town back on track. A number of pubs and shops have/will be closing in the next few months by all accounts due to lack of business. These schemes together with the inner harbour plans (planning granted) could put the town back on the map as the place in West Cork to shop and do business and visit. Big shout out to Cllr Mary Hegarty. She invited reps of 6/7 cruise liners to see the sights around the town before Christmas. This will encourage passengers to disembark onto the newly constructed pontoons and spend their money during the summer season. Clever woman

Ha ha i have to laugh at this, disembark on the newly constructed pontoons is right, another pie in the sky dream for bantry, ill believe it when i see it.

another thing whatever happened to the sports complex in bantry that they were fundraising for and local councillors were collecting for, i gave one of those muppets 50 euro, where is that gone to i wonder, no mention of it for years now. This is one corrupt little town, oh and cllr mary hagerty shops in skibb in lidl, i know cos ive seen her there many times trying to hide when spotted, with the likes of these people running our town what fcuking hope have we!!

I see that Biggs have a decision to grant permission for their proposed development down near the strand. The Tesco Developer has put in an observation on the planning so will most likely appeal the deciision to An Bord Pleanala. This will delay any development for up to a year. I can't understand why both parties couldn't have met years ago and come to some sort of agreement in relation to not objecting to each others plans. Clonakilty have Supervalu, Dunnes and either a Lidl or Aldi on it's way. The town is flying even though it's not a patch on Bantry for scenic setting. Bantry can't seem to see that the more choices you have for retail, the more people will come to town and make a day out of it spending their money in pubs and restaurants and indeed smaller retailers around town. The town is the most scenically impressive in the county particularily with the Inner harbour plans and yet there is practically no reason for shoppers to visit. 2 steps forward 1 step back with the locals being the big losers

Its called greed because a certain crowd want a manopoly on everthing and only want to fill their own pockets and feck the rest, thats why we dont have any lidl, or aldi or dunnes, or much of anything in fact, and wont either for the foreseable:mad:

Biggs planning appealed to An Bord Pleanala. Surprise Surprise. 1 third party appeal. It'll be up online in a few days. Has to be the Tesco Developer I'll wager.

2 steps forward. 1 step back.

Aldi got it's decision to move ahead in Skibb from An Bord Pleanala.

Someone will be running buses over there from Bantry on a Friday before long

Whats new, welcome to bantry the appeals capital of ireland where nothing gets done and nobody wants it done either

Whats new, welcome to bantry the appeals capital of ireland where nothing gets done and nobody wants it done either

Shamrock55 Have you heard any rumours recently about the Newtown site. I'm hearing recent murmurs that someone will be going in there. Logic would say it is tesco rather than somebody else coming in and changing the planning again.

Shamrock55 Have you heard any rumours recently about the Newtown site. I'm hearing recent murmurs that someone will be going in there. Logic would say it is tesco rather than somebody else coming in and changing the planning again.

No sonny, i havent heard anything regarding tesco in a while now, i imagine if someone is going to newtown it will be tesco, i'll keep an ear out and report back if i hear anything;)

Biggs planning application to relocate supervalu down near the strand has been refused at An Bord pleanala. See link below

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/243290.htm

Complete crash and burn. Wrong zoning, not in the spirit of the area development plan, unsatisfactory materials for an area of scenic importance. Makes the cork county council grant decision look fairly sad. The tesco developer was the main 3rd party apellant. The tit for tat objections between Biggs & Tesco Developer continue to the detriment of the town and it's people who are now left with a outdated Supervalu and nothing else. Elderly people still have to push a triolley down the square on a wet winters day. The only thing to hope for now is that the Tesco developer who has planning will come up with the money to proceed with the shell and core of the unit to allow Tesco to fit out and open. That said tesco's proficts of late haven't been great and will they still have an interest to open in Bantry? Doom and Gloom all around I'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Biggs planning application to relocate supervalu down near the strand has been refused at An Bord pleanala. See link below

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/243290.htm

Complete crash and burn. Wrong zoning, not in the spirit of the area development plan, unsatisfactory materials for an area of scenic importance. Makes the cork county council grant decision look fairly sad. The tesco developer was the main 3rd party apellant. The tit for tat objections between Biggs & Tesco Developer continue to the detriment of the town and it's people who are now left with a outdated Supervalu and nothing else. Elderly people still have to push a triolley down the square on a wet winters day. The only thing to hope for now is that the Tesco developer who has planning will come up with the money to proceed with the shell and core of the unit to allow Tesco to fit out and open. That said tesco's proficts of late haven't been great and will they still have an interest to open in Bantry? Doom and Gloom all around I'm afraid
    No more than Bantry deserved I am afraid.
    The decision to quash permission was the right one, what other town with a Maritime heritage and view like Bantry would allow a supermarket to be built on the waterfront?
    For too long the principal objectors to all kinds of development have been the party denied planning. They have only themselves to blame, and their idea to use the council carpark as a defacto carpark for their supermarket has backfired spectacularly.
    I would love to see another supermarket open in Bantry but as long as the cosy cartel holds sway I can't see it happening, all over the rest of West Cork other towns have embraced competition and encouraged other companies to locate in their area. Dunmanway, Kenmare and Skibbereen are prime examples of the positive energy that can come from competition.
    Bantry is the example of what happens when vested interests have too much power and stop development.
    I for one am glad that this plan has been scuppered.

I was delighted biggs got turned down, no way they should be allowed to build a bloody supermarket down there, i see clon has a new lidl now, and macroom is getting an aldi i think, every town in west cork has a dunnes or a lidl or aldi now at this stage , some have 2 and some even have 3.
    bantry is a fcuking disgrace and should be embarrassed because i know i am:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I was delighted biggs got turned down, no way they should be allowed to build a bloody supermarket down there, i see clon has a new lidl now, and macroom is getting an aldi i think, every town in west cork has a dunnes or a lidl or aldi now at this stage , some have 2 and some even have 3.
    bantry is a fcuking disgrace and should be embarrassed because i know i am:mad:
    No Point being embarassed, just make it known, I buy as little as possible from their businesses.
    Murphy & O'Connor etc etc.

Indeed the chickens have come home to roost for Biggs O'Keefee. They were the driving force behind the objections to Tesco under the Bantry Businesses banner even if they didn't sign the appeal. I hear they also bought a house in glengarriff road to stop a possible entrance to a low budget store being previously considered by the now Tesco Developer behind O'Learys garage. Of course he was going to get his own back. What did they expect? The only hope now is that the tesco developer will get the money together to strike a deal with the difficult Rowa owner to buy the land and build the unit. Though, he's been burnt financially himself by another deal involving buying Vickerys Hotel on New Street.
    Same old storey for Bantry I'm afraid. Skibb, Dunmanway & Macroom will be reaping the benifits of bantry people travelling out of town to shop

I can see biggs building a sv on the boys club site, wait and see!!

Would there be enough parking around there shamrock?

There was a rumour a few years back of them building a super value there with a car park on top, similar to the one in clon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

I can see biggs building a sv on the boys club site, wait and see!!

What happened to the Boys Club ?

What happened to the Boys Club ?

Nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 westcorklad

some people here are just hilarious they way they be talkin bout biggs. just cause a family worked hard to build up a business over generations does not make them greedy..there is a hell of a lot of people in bantry who are too lazy to go out and do a days work and it is they who are contributing to bantrys decline. a new shop deffo needed....either supervalu/aldi /lidl but would be worried bout tesco. bantry has a great mix of small shops and a lot of these would not survive with even a small drop in sales. supervalu is old and outdated but people need to remember these people provided jobs and security to generations of people in bantry(own family included) and i just find it disusting how easily this is forgoton!!

some people here are just hilarious they way they be talkin bout biggs. just cause a family worked hard to build up a business over generations does not make them greedy..there is a hell of a lot of people in bantry who are too lazy to go out and do a days work and it is they who are contributing to bantrys decline. a new shop deffo needed....either supervalu/aldi /lidl but would be worried bout tesco. bantry has a great mix of small shops and a lot of these would not survive with even a small drop in sales. supervalu is old and outdated but people need to remember these people provided jobs and security to generations of people in bantry(own family included) and i just find it disusting how easily this is forgoton!!

Your arguement is well made but I would disagree with some of the points. Biggs have had a stranglehold over retail in bantry since God knows when. Any other retail unit that trys to set up are ojected to, appealled to and houses bought on roads to stop entrances being built. This results is tit for tat objections with rival developers and schemes like the railway pier scheme being objected to and canned. They may say what they like in public but privately what do they care? They still have the monopoly. There is a figure of something like 40/50% of bantry people do their shopping out of town in Skibb, Dunmanway & Macroom. How is that small businesses in these towns can survive and thrive. Very simple, people do their big shop and then walk around town afterwards, have a cup of coffee and lunch, browse the shops and buy. That ensures that small shops do survive. It's all about footfall. Tractors restaurant closed last week. A nice restaurant serving good food. No footfall. No business. No future. A town that has the finest natural setting in the country will always be in the doldrums because there are no modern brand name shops to bring people to town.

• Advertisement

Stupid comment tbh, every town has unemployed people, while your at it can you point out any industry in bantry for these so called lazy people to get a job, because not only is there no decent supermarket here but there is fcuk all industry or job opportunities either

Advertisement