Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Glengarriff by the water

Options
  • 12-08-2014 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Does anyone know of a bar or restaurant near Glengarriff with a view of the water? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭murray.eoghan

hey mate, i live in glengarriff and the eccles hotel has a nice water view

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Does anyone know of a bar or restaurant near Glengarriff with a view of the water? Thanks!

When choosing a restaurant in Glengarriff you just have to remember one thing,stay to feck away from this place.Avoid yer man outside trying to pressgang passers by to come in.

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restaurant_Review-g212093-d1870118-Reviews-Rainbow_Restaurant-Glengarriff_County_Cork.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7 boogie G child

hey mate, i live in glengarriff and the eccles hotel has a nice water view

Thanks for the suggestion, looks lovely on the website. Hoping to sit outside if it's dry!

Appreciate the heads up about the other place as well, I usually take tripadvisor with a pinch of salt but when that many people have that bad an experience... wow....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I was in Glengarriff last week and we had lunch at Jim's something (place? cafe? can't remember the full name) It was just before the Bamboo Park.

Looks like a fairly unremarkable B&B but if you go around the back there's a cafe with the most GORGEOUS food (homemade quiches, sandwiches, etc, and delicious-looking desserts) and seating outside. Really good coffee too. If you crane your neck - or possibly pick the right table - you have a view of the bay over the hedges.

I was looking for somewhere to eat/have coffee outside as well, and the Eccles Hotel doesn't seem to have any outside seating (or if it does, I couldn't see it from the road).

Couldn't recommend Jim's cafe or whatever it's called highly enough.

ETA - found it! http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restaurant_Review-g212093-d3399711-Reviews-Jim_s_Coffee_House-Glengarriff_County_Cork.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7 boogie G child

Thanks for the tip Heidi Heidi, the food looks fab.

So if the bay view options are limited, any recommendations on the best beer garden in Glengarriff? :D

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

darkdubh wrote: »
    When choosing a restaurant in Glengarriff you just have to remember one thing,stay to feck away from this place.Avoid yer man outside trying to pressgang passers by to come in.

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restaurant_Review-g212093-d1870118-Reviews-Rainbow_Restaurant-Glengarriff_County_Cork.html

When mention of dead flies turn up more than once in the reviews then you start getting very worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭.red.

The more i read the reviews, the more i wanna pop in there just for the craic. Order the cheapest thing on the menu, maybe frozen homemade garlic bread, a glass of tap water and just watch people kick off about their food. Could be good entertainment for a couple of €€

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Frog Song

Oh my God how is that place still in business?! I've never seen such bad reviews!! Shame, Glengarrif is such a nice place. I kind of want to visit it now to see how bad it is! :D God love the poor tourists that happen upon it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Frog Song wrote: »
    Oh my God how is that place still in business?! I've never seen such bad reviews!! Shame, Glengarrif is such a nice place. I kind of want to visit it now to see how bad it is! :D God love the poor tourists that happen upon it.

Nice place but keep your wallet/purse closed

Jasaus,check out the latest reviews.How this place is allowed operate is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

Every 5-6 months, this place comes into my head and I wander onto tripadvisor for a laugh. It's incredible what they are getting away with. I live in west Cork so often around Glengarriff; I feel so sorry for the unsuspecting tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭fergie24

If im passing, i will always stop and go in, sit at the bar if i can order one drink and watch the poor sods that walk in without knowing what there in for. Its good entertainment. Fawlty towers come to mind.

Theres a very fishy pattern of recent reviews for that place.Maybe theres been a genuine dramatic turnaround in the food and quality all of a sudden but it all smells funny to me.

Part of me will be very disappointed if they clean if their act;) as the reviews in general are priceless. Does seem a bit unusual with the sudden upturn of 5 star reviews, although some of the reviewers have fairly new accounts.....

In fairness to them - and anyone paying over hard-earned money - I hope they have made an effort and things have improved. It's a great little location down there; maybe they got a new chef?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Theres a very fishy pattern of recent reviews for that place.Maybe theres been a genuine dramatic turnaround in the food and quality all of a sudden but it all smells funny to me.

The two from the same person deffo come across as fake.They havent posted anything else other than those two reviews.The other two recent positive ones look legit but theres something not quite right about them.They read like reviews from a magazine and they seem a bit over the top in their praise TBH.

Does The Rainbow Restaurant even do a holiday cottage?Possible that the latest review a mix up with another place which would explain a lot.

Edit:The Rainbow Restaurant accomadation page which makes no mention of a cottage.They deffo reviewd the wrong place.

http://www.glengarriff-rainbow.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭NOS3

When Garinish island is open the cafe on the island is beside the pier :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

That Rainbow restaurant place is very weird I must say. we paid a visit to Glengarrif and while I did think one of the pubs was odd too, we called into Raibows the next day and I swear I got a feeling they were hiding dead bodies under the stairs or something. Very weird bunch running it. We ordered a drink and food and that was it they all dissapperared.. A biker couple came in just to enquire about rooms and the owner lady was all right yeah ill show you to the room, the biker lady was saying oh we just want to know how much etc and she completely ignored them and scurried them up to the room..

When we eventually asked about our food after two pints the young one behind the bar looked scared, needless to say we left..

It would appear from the latest comments that the trend of terrible reviews is back on track......

The Peanut wrote: »
    It would appear from the latest comments that the trend of terrible reviews is back on track......

Back with a bang.And one of those fishy positive reviews has been removed.And they've changed the name according to the most recent review.

• Advertisement

Going to have to call back there to see if it is the same

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭NOS3

They did paint it, but I don't think that's the issue ;)

The latest review is the best one yet,from someone who applied for a job there apparently.

Poor man how do they get away with it. We are due to go down there in a couple of months and ill come back with a report

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I never trust one review posters on tripadvisor, good or bad. I take reviews more seriously from someone who has reviewed a few places.

Advertisement