Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overflow tank In attic constantly running.

• 03-01-2010 9:53pm

Hey, hope someone can help me, here's a picture of the situation.

IMG_4262copy.jpg

The overflow tank ballcock even when pushed up still does not stop the overflow tank from filling up constantly. One day ago the water in the house stopped working and I suspected it to be frozen pipes in the attic. The water works everywhere in the house now. So anyone know what's going on? I suspect the ballcock mechanism to be broken on the overflow tank, but I'm no expert.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

Ball cock might have given up, if you pull up on float arm, water still comes out, ball cock needs replacing or you've got some dirt trapped in ballcock orifice. If you have to call in plumber, have ball valve fitted before both ballcocks, also cold water storage tank could do with correct lid (if no lid). All ballcock, float type valves have to be fitted with separate isolation valve, part of building regs now. Saves a lot of hassle while maintaining ballcock type valves.

The small tank is for heating cold feed and heat expansion. F&E Tank for short.

Thanks for your reply, so you reckon getting the ballcock valve fixed on the small tank is the best way to go? Also, you think a cover should be on the big tank to the right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

sacramento wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply, so you reckon getting the ballcock valve fixed on the small tank is the best way to go? Also, you think a cover should be on the big tank to the right?

When plumber calls out, you'll see why its now part of regs to have isolation points fitted before both ballcock. It can be tricky to turn off main water supply. Ball valves fitted just before ballcock are a god send, if you had trouble with overflow, overflowing all over attic, you probably wouldn't be able to turn off mains supply. If valves were fitted @ ballcock, you'd have no problem turning off water to ballcock.

Tanks must be fitted with correct lid, the tank you have would of been sold with a matching lid, no idea why plumbers don't put them on. Its part of building regs, all tanks must have lids. Water in storage tank is for washing, showering brushing teeth, very easy for bugs, rats, mice etc to make way into storage tank. Not nice when you find dead body's of mice, bugs, rats, birds etc floating around in water, then have to tell homeowner all about it.

Plastic lid must be fitted, wood lids, insulation lids etc all fall apart over time due to condensation.

Advertisement