Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

double tracking in Ireland

Options
  • 08-11-2013 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭

Is there anywhere I can check the parts of our rail network that are double tracked

I think portarlington to heuston plus all of dart network is but not sure of the rest.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

cork suburban is double track

The entire route from Larne-Belfast-Dublin Connolly-Dublin Heuston-Cork-Cobh is double track with the exception of the Boyne viaduct in Drogheda. Other double track includes Connolly-Bray, Connolly-Maynooth and Docklands-Glasnevin Junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Add to that Killonan Junction-Limerick and Waterford-Waterford West.

Go to the Irish Rail Network Statement for more info.
    http://www.irishrail.ie/media/IE2014NetworkStatement_PublishedVersion21.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭CaptainFreedom

Belfast-Bangor is double track too

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Add to that Killonan Junction-Limerick and Waterford-Waterford West.

You can say Waterford-Newrath, Waterford West just covers the station yard.

M3 Parkway line is also double tracked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭bikeman1

The double track on the Larne line only goes as far as Kilroot, which is after Downshire station near Carrickfergus. Single track after that.

The Waterford to Newrath one is double track, but it is two separate routes (Waterford - Limerick Junction / Waterford - Dublin) that run alongside each other before diverging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

cork suburban is double track

except the Midleton line I imagine?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Midleton is single track from Glountaune.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    You can say Waterford-Newrath, Waterford West just covers the station yard.

M3 Parkway line is also double tracked.

Waterford-Waterford West is double track, after that they are two separate single lines running alongside one another, diverging at Newrath with no crossover west of Waterford West.

To summarise - the following are all double track:

Bangor-Belfast Central-Great Victoria Street-Boyne Viaduct (north end)
    Boyne Viaduct (south end)-Connolly-Bray

Heuston-Cork-Cobh

Connolly-Drumcondra-Islandbridge Junction
    Docklands-Maynooth (including crossover at Glasnevin Junction)
    Clonsilla-M3 Parkway

Limerick-Killonan Junction

Waterford-Waterford West

Yorkgate - Kilroot (Larne Line)
    Bleach Green - Monkstown Junction (Coleraine line)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

It was singled in the 1990s.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭CaptainFreedom

lxflyer wrote: »
    It was singled in the 1990s.

Correct, walked on it several years ago and there are points at each end. Installed during the major repair work undertaken on the bridge in 1993

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Waterford-Waterford West is double track, after that they are two separate single lines running alongside one another, diverging at Newrath with no crossover west of Waterford West.

If it hasn't happened by now, Absolute Block and associated double track working was to have been dispensed with in Waterford. Certainly, the 2014 Network Statement shows that it has gone.

If it hasn't happened by now, Absolute Block and associated double track working was to have been dispensed with in Waterford. Certainly, the 2014 Network Statement shows that it has gone.

Think its sort of work in progress, they did some works over the last while but nothing else has happened. Can't see the double tracking being stopped, as 4 tracks coming out of the platforms (all used by services currently) and new signalling installed on the line the freight traffic to Belview uses.

They did disconnect one or possibly two sidings in the freight yard which has very limited room now at times until the Mark'3 go.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

To summarise - the following are all double track:

If you want to be pedantic, there is also double-track on the Larne line from Lagan Junction to Queen's Quay. The single-tracking only begins where the cross-harbour bridge starts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Can someone add the existing lines that used to be double track?

I'd suggest that you go through the website below that lists each route:
    http://www.industrialheritageireland.info/TikiWiki/tiki-index.php?page=Open+Lines

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭eejoynt

corktina wrote: »

Cherryville junction to Carlow
    , lifted 1917 to provide rails for the wolf hill and castle comer branches

Maynooth to ballinasloe via moate, I think the double tracking extended out the Sligo line a short distance but I am not sure
    Galway to athenry

Colloney to Sligo had two tracks up to the closure of the Sligo Leitrim, they may have been two parallel single lines however

Limerick junction to killonan

I think on the NCC double tracking went from bleach green to ballymena

On the GNR, there was some double track on the Derry road I think, and from portadown to rich hill. There was also a third road from great Victoria street to finaghy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

corktina wrote: »

Northern Ireland:
    Larne Line: Kilroot - Whitehead
    NCC Derry: Monkstown Junction - Ballymena

Republic of Ireland:
    Westport line: Athlone - Roscommon
    Rosslare line: Newcastle - Wicklow Junction
    Sligo line: Maynooth - Longford; Collooney - Collooney Junction; Ballysodare -Sligo
    Waterford line: Cherryville Junction - Carlow
    Limerick to Waterford: Limerick - Limerick Junction; Waterford - Fiddown
    Galway line: Mullingar - Ballinasloe; Attymon - Athenry; Galway - Oranmore
    GNR Navan line: Navan Junction - Tara Junction

Just for fun, can anybody identity the section of railway which is now double track but which was single track for all of it's existence until about maybe 40 years ago.

Slightly off topic but since when has Athlone to Portarlington being Track Circuit Block with CAWS. Was certain that it was only Cork, Limerick and Belfast and the rest of the newtwork just Circuit Blocks.

Edit - the 2011 statement has it as Track Circuit Blocks and I'm sure it was the same in the 2014 statement but it has being updated to reflect CAWS. Has it changed recently or going to change in 2014 to try and improve the timetabling of Galway/Westport routes mainly from Dublin in the evenings as delays of up to 30 minutes are still happening even after the new timetable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭GTE

I am guessing the singling of tracks was to cut costs?

Would anyone in the know feel that having more substantial double tracking would have lead to rail being more popular?

On the face of it, more trains each way is what I am thinking. 141s and 071s zipping mark 3s all over the place. . . he daydreams.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Temp101

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but since when has Athlone to Portarlington being Track Circuit Block with CAWS. Was certain that it was only Cork, Limerick and Belfast and the rest of the newtwork just Circuit Blocks.

As far as I am aware, CAWS has been in place on the Athlone branch since resignalling Geashill to Athlone in 1985.

There is also CAWS in the DART area. I also think it is in place as far as Maynooth (possibly also the M3 branch)?

Just for fun, can anybody identity the section of railway which is now double track but which was single track for all of it's existence until about maybe 40 years ago.

If you mean Dun Laoghaire, I think that's closer to 60 years! Reconstructed 1956/7?

Hungerford wrote: »
    Northern Ireland:
    Larne Line: Kilroot - Whitehead
    NCC Derry: Monkstown Junction - Ballymena

Republic of Ireland:
    Westport line: Athlone - Roscommon
    Rosslare line: Newcastle - Wicklow Junction
    Sligo line: Maynooth - Longford; Collooney - Collooney Junction; Ballysodare -Sligo
    Waterford line: Cherryville Junction - Carlow
    Limerick to Waterford: Limerick - Limerick Junction; Waterford - Fiddown
    Galway line: Mullingar - Ballinasloe; Attymon - Athenry; Galway - Oranmore
    GNR Navan line: Navan Junction - Tara Junction

Probably also add
    East Wall Junction - Church Road Junction - Warehouse Siding - Sherriff Street (now classed as sidings),
    Newcomen Junction - Amien's St. DSER,
    Newcomen Junction - West Road Junction - Church Road Junction (partly overlaps with current Newcomen Junction - Docklands, other parts also now sidings).
    Waterford Central - Waterford East - Abbey Junction.

Sligo had double line to Carrignagat Junction originally, when the cabin was closed there, the two single lines were extended (using the two tracks) to Ballysodare.

bbk wrote: »
    I am guessing the singling of tracks was to cut costs?

Would anyone in the know feel that having more substantial double tracking would have lead to rail being more popular?

Apart from the singlings during the WW I period - which seem to have been to release materials for colliery branches or maintenance, most singling was done in the late 1920's and early 1930's to save money on track maintenance, although the newly installed additional signalling equipment can't have been too cheap.

There is an interesting debate to be had on double versus single track. People more knowledgeable than myself have suggested to me that you can can get a fair bit of plain track when one considers the cost of modern turnouts and crossovers and associated signalling.

• Advertisement

Temp101 wrote: »
    If you mean Dun Laoghaire, I think that's closer to 60 years! Reconstructed 1956/7?

Good man :) Single track working as far as Shanganagh junction, which was considered to be the mainline.

Advertisement