Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A380 Damaged

• 20-06-2011 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭

a380.jpg

This was ment to perform at Paris but was damaged while under tow

Wing tip hit a building

And the A400 has engine trouble so it wont be flying either

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

Blue Punto wrote: »
    a380.jpg

This was ment to perform at Paris but was damaged while under tow

Wing tip hit a building

And the A400 has engine trouble so it wont be flying either

Jesus H, airbus are gonna be pissed about that, someones gonna get fired for that.I wonder did they paint the A380 for that event?

Isn't the paris airshow very important in terms of new business for airbus, can they fly a replacement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

It will still look impressive as a static display if they hide the bad bit. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭.danindudlin

This seems to be happening alot with the A380 lately! (well the JFK incident)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭alan85

Korean Air gona fly their 380 in display...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭A320

Jesus H, airbus are gonna be pissed about that, someones gonna get fired for that.I wonder did they paint the A380 for that event?

Isn't the paris airshow very important in terms of new business for airbus, can they fly a replacement?

Nobody will be fired,**** happens

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭David086

I'd say they're well pissed, that livery was made for the Airshow :eek: .

David086 wrote: »
    I'd say they're well pissed, that livery was made for the Airshow :eek: .

Not really, it will now sit on the runway through the whole show and people can still walk around and admire it.

The wing damage has been covered up out of view. Airbus have already commandeered another A380 from Korean Airways to carry out fly pasts.

They now have two of these aircraft's hanging about at the show. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Gracelessly Tom

Repaired and back in the air. Will be doing displays from today all the way through to Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

• Advertisement

*Kol* wrote: »
    Ouch ! :eek:

I wonder how much that would have cost to fix?

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭IrishB.ie

Ouch ! :eek:

I wonder how much that would have cost to fix?

The aircraft or the building? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭David086

Holy sh!t :eek::eek::eek::eek:

IrishB.ie wrote: »
    The aircraft or the building? :D
    The building, steel cladding is expensive. The aircraft wing is only made of fibreglass and could be patched up easily enough. :p

What will happen to this plane?

Will it be retained by airbus as their permanent demo model or would it be sold off at a discount having its repairs mentioned on the log.?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

Will it be retained by airbus as their permanent demo model or would it be sold off at a discount having its repairs mentioned on the log.?

I's been fixed as far as i know.

I's been fixed as far as i know.
    I'm aware of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

It's not a Ford Focus, repairs will have been done perfectly and checked repeatedly. There won't be a discount off for frankly minor damage.

Confab wrote: »
    It's not a Ford Focus, repairs will have been done perfectly and checked repeatedly. There won't be a discount off for frankly minor damage.

If I was buying a brand new ford focus I would expect it to be unblemished. If I was told that it was crashed I would expect something off it. Unlike the motor trade where new cars often get damaged in transit and patched up, every minute incident, modification and repair on an aircraft must be logged.

If Airbus tried to hide this incident or give this plane an new identity to sell it as a brand new plane it would be criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Blue Punto

If I was buying a brand new ford focus I would expect it to be unblemished. If I was told that it was crashed I would expect something off it. Unlike the motor trade where new cars often get damaged in transit and patched up, every minute incident, modification and repair on an aircraft must be logged.

If Airbus tried to hide this incident or give this plane an new identity to sell it as a brand new plane it would be criminal.

I understand what you are saying but the damage to the aircraft was minimal.
    The aircraft was being towed at the time of the incident and while it prob did look like alot of damage if you look at it closely you will see it was mainly the wingtip that sheared off.

The amount of work to repair this would be no more than retro fitting an aircraft with winglets for fuelburn efficency if it had none as can be seen in the amount of time it took Airbus to repair the said aircraft(And save face alittle no doubt)
    So it would not reflect on the airframes worth TBH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Of course it will be noted but it will/has been repaired to perfection. It's not like a car where you can just fix it so it's visually okay. Everything about it has to be perfect. Also unlike a car, a company buying an A380 will know everything about the plane they are buying. This plane will go to an airline without a discount because there is nothing wrong with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

sorry i taught you said retired

Advertisement