Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭sparklespark

Hello, can anyone tell me if the Ryanair flight is one hour delayed can you claim compensation? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Hello, can anyone tell me if the Ryanair flight is one hour delayed can you claim compensation? Thanks

No, has to be three hours or more

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

athtrasna wrote: »
    No, has to be three hours or more

It's 2 hours or more for flights < 1500km which would cover a large number of Ryanair's flights.

http://www.aviationreg.ie/Delay/Default.210.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Lots of get out of jail cards in Ryanair's (and every carrier's) playing cards.

If an airline can prove that the delay was caused by an extraordinary circumstance which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures were taken, no compensation will be payable.
    Examples of events which may constitute extraordinary circumstances can be found here.

We were delayed by over 3 hours in June (EJ). and got an email to this effect 'EJ hope that the delay will not stop you booking with us again in the future' Not even a sarnie, as in the case of RY, EasyJet are light on the ground when there is a delay. Airport announcer is where we got our information.

Think Aer Lingus are bit more pro-active, certainly were a few years ago when we were delayed in Barcelona (due to a technical fault) Aer Lingus gave every passenger €20 in vouchers for airport food and drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Dub_Jim_Royle

For once I have to praise Ryanair.
    Recently head to cancel flights due to medical reasons. Was prepared for a long battle with Drs letters to back up Drs letters to back up Drs letters.
    The online chat were a little bit frustrating but submitted everything, got a call within 2 days and had a full refund back on my card within 3 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,797 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Recently head to cancel flights due to medical reasons. Was prepared for a long battle with Drs letters to back up Drs letters to back up Drs letters.
    The online chat were a little bit frustrating but submitted everything, got a call within 2 days and had a full refund back on my card within 3 days.
    had you the insurance, or just asking for a bit of good will on their behalf?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Dub_Jim_Royle

had you the insurance, or just asking for a bit of good will on their behalf?

No. Didn't have insurance. Fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Same here, had to cancel flights due to medical reasons. Letter from hospital consultant as backup proof. Contacted by Ryanair and flights refunded in full within a couple of days.

Very relieved as the flights were to the UK for the upcoming October bank holiday, so were quite pricey given the long weekend.

For future reference, on their website go to Useful Info-Contact Us-FAQ-Contact Form. Choose "Complaint" and this will allow you to attach a scan of the doctor/hospital letter etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭kingofburt

Got to give big praise to Ryanair for their actions this morning. My sister was due to fly Derry London this morning and get a connecting flight to Barcelona this afternoon. Due to heavy fog in Derry all flights have been diverted to Belfast and passengers are being brought up by bus. This would have left my sister missing her connecting flight.

I booked a new flight from Dublin for her for this evening and when I collected her from the Derry airport Ryanair had said she has lost compensation for the Derry to London flight but they have changed the London to Barcelona flight to Dublin so she isn't out of pocket at all.

Amazing service as they offered an alternative route on the affected flight and had no obligation on the second flight to do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭Kat1170

And people complain about Ryanair ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

joeysoap wrote: »

Think Aer Lingus are bit more pro-active, certainly were a few years ago when we were delayed in Barcelona (due to a technical fault) Aer Lingus gave every passenger €20 in vouchers for airport food and drink.

I'd prefer to be delayed 3 hours and pay 100e for flights than be delayed 3 hours, pay 200e for flights and get a 20e voucher for food

So would I. But I wouln't pay Aer Lingus €200 for a flight I could get with Ryanair for €100, and neither would most people. I would pay up to €25 per flight given equal times and same airports. Personal choice. At random just now Dublin to Barcelona for a weekend next April

Aer Lingus

DUB BCN
    Thu, Apr 30, 2015
    BCN DUB
    Tue, May 05, 2015
    Fare Summary
    Departing EUR 46.99
    1 Adult 1 x 46.99
    Fare p.p. 12.99
    Taxes & Charges 34.00
    Returning EUR 58.99
    1 Adult 1 x 58.99
    Fare p.p. 22.99
    Taxes & Charges 36.00
    Admin fee EUR 14.00
    Fare Total EUR 119.98
    Checked Bag Fees
    Trip Total
    EUR 119.98
    Pay by Credit Card EUR 119.98
    Pay by Debit Card EUR 119.98

Ryanair

Booking summary
    Passenger(s)

Passenger 1 (ADT)

Dublin T1 → Barcelona El Prat T2
    Thu, 30 Apr 2015
    06:15 - 09:50
    1 Adult, 57.99 EUR
    1 x Adult Fare 57.99 EUR

Barcelona El Prat T2 → Dublin T1
    Tue, 05 May 2015
    10:25 - 12:10
    1 Adult, 48.99 EUR
    1 x Adult Fare 48.99 EUR

Discount Pay by debit card: 106.98 EUR
    Pay by credit card / PayPal: 109.12 EUR

Total
    106.98 EUR

I kept the flight times as close as possible which meant a saving of €22 in favour of Ryanair, who have a €31 more expensive return leg later in the day and a cheaper departure €9 outward leg departure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭Kat1170

As always, buyer beware. Nowhere is going to be cheaper than everywhere else ALL time. Not Aldi, not Lidl, not Tesco, not Aer Lingus not even Ryanair.
    Always check around for the best price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Kat1170 wrote: »
    As always, buyer beware. Nowhere is going to be cheaper than everywhere else ALL time. Not Aldi, not Lidl, not Tesco, not Aer Lingus not even Ryanair.
    Always check around for the best price.

This is it in a nutshell!

Went to Germany last weekend and the cheapest airline by far was Lufthansa. I always check all options and usually laugh at the ridiculously high prices at Lufthansa. But this time they won hands down and got is the closest to our destination.

Checked same trip for February 2015 and Lufthansa are €500 dearer than RyanAir :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Indeed. I had to book a flight to London for next saturday a few days ago. I was only giving it eight days ahead of the flight so was expecting to need to pay a fair bit. To my surprise BA were by far the cheapest option. I wouldn't usually even consider them and usually I'd have gone straight to Ryanair and Aer Lingus' websites instead of checking a third party search engine as I did this time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Hi all (again),

I was booking flights for work and booked for 3 people, now I find out that I only need 2 places, I rang Ryanair and they said I can't cancel a flight. Can anyone advise if I can get anything back? Even booking fees/taxes/baggage costs. I only booked ~11am today and amn't travelling until March.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I was thinking that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,201 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Clareman wrote: »
    Hi all (again),

I was booking flights for work and booked for 3 people, now I find out that I only need 2 places, I rang Ryanair and they said I can't cancel a flight. Can anyone advise if I can get anything back? Even booking fees/taxes/baggage costs. I only booked ~11am today and amn't travelling until March.

You are the dream customer for them. Paid for travel that you won't use and paid them taxes that they won't have to pass on.
    They will give you nothing back.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You can reclaim the unused taxes but the 'admin fee' for doing so is often more than the charges.

• Advertisement

Probably not worth the hassle of applying for tax back. For starters I don't think you can apply until after the flight and you haven't flown. If there were UK taxes involved might be more worthwhile as they can be quite high. On the other hand if you don't apply for them back Ryanair afaik can't hold onto them as they are not theirs - hence they are able to offer lots of tax free flights. Random (ok, not that hard to find) Dublin - London 13th January - Flight FR114 Depart 11:20 Arrive 12:50 Fare 17.99.

Clearly there are no Irish taxes involved as the taxes at Dublin airport exceed the total cost of this flight. I may be totally wrong but I always assumed they allocated unused and unrefunded taxes to offer tax free flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭mattser

I know it's a FR thread, but is EI policy different ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

joeysoap wrote: »
    I may be totally wrong but I always assumed they allocated unused and unrefunded taxes to offer tax free flights.

You are. They keep the cash as part of their profits, the flights sold below the taxes/charges level would exist regardless.

The taxes ex-Ireland are €0 anyway and have been for a while; and the airport fees are never refunded.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,853 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

You all seem to know a lot about RYR.

So, I have a question for you, and hope someone might know the answer to it.

I am booking in a bag for the return journey only from Europe. I may not need to use it though, so is there any problem say, security wise or anything in not checking in a bag I have paid for and is on the ticket?

I'm not bothered about getting money back or anything if I don't use it, just wondered if there will be an international incident if I don't need to use it!

Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,935 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

No issues

They'll be delighted if you don't, basically. Bag paid for and no payload to go with it.

Its common enough that people on Business-equivalent tickets on lowcost airlines don't use their bags, probably more common than using them actually. Never causes a problem. You've bought an allowance, that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,853 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Thanks for the quick replies folks.

Much appreciated.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    You are. They keep the cash as part of their profits, the flights sold below the taxes/charges level would exist regardless.

The taxes ex-Ireland are €0 anyway and have been for a while; and the airport fees are never refunded.

Nice one: so they charge €20 to refund nil. :).
    Aer Lingus policy :
    Airport & Government Taxes and charges are fully refundable subject to a Refund Administration Fee (listed in the table below).

you only get back around €7 after their charges.

Advertisement