Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting a Turf plot, how much can i make?

• 03-02-2012 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hello all,

I want to rent a plot of turf for the summer to make a bit of extra cash.

What i want to know is:

A)How much it is to rent a plot and how many bags can you get from it?

B)If a plot is cheap enough would ye recommend renting more than 1?

C)How much should i charge per bag?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

D) what bank will you be investing your profits?

The turf bank?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭mantua

Unless ya have no job then maybe go ahead but if ya have a job then you mightned have the time and to be honest if you've never cut turf before you don't know what your getting yourself in for.
    Don't know how much it is to rent a bank and then ya have to add on how much it will be to cut it and don't bother renting a bank that is a swamp because your turf will take an awful long time to season.
    Your price depends on the quality of the turf. If its brown then not many will want it, if its black you should make €3 a bag without delivery but you have to get bags first and you might get someone who will give you a few bags for free but more than likely you will pay 10c - 20c a bag.
    Will you have anywhere to store the turf to let it season because you won't sell turf thats just been cut a few weeks.
    Raring turf can be a hard job if ya cut alot of it so weigh up your options first before you go rushing into something

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Arrow in the Knee

€18 a hopper I paid on me own bank.

Forget about it
    1- Needs to be good turf.
    2- then you have to foot it/turn it
    3- Ya need good weather for it to dry
    4- Then ground has to be good to drive in by tractor n trailor or van to collect it.
    5- Then ya have to sell it

Isn't it illegal to sell turf?

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Arrow in the Knee

18 a hopper I paid on me own bank.

Forget about it
    1- Needs to be good turf.
    2- then you have to foot it/turn it
    3- Ya need good weather for it to dry
    4- Then ground has to be good to drive in by tractor n trailor or van to collect it.
    5- Then ya have to sell it

Isn't it illegal to sell turf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

you could make a nice earner for yourself but its hard work.
    You shouldnt need to rent a bank of turf, try and find someone who sells turf by the hopper. We bought it last year for €22 a hopper cash ( I know lads with there own banks of turf been charged €25 for there own turf :D )
    If you not working then around mid May you could buy 20 hoppers and save them first. In good weather you this could be mid june. then go again and buy some more.....
    And sell for a nice profit (just dont tell welfare) :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

Grecco wrote: »
    you could make a nice earner for yourself but its hard work.
    You shouldnt need to rent a bank of turf, try and find someone who sells turf by the hopper. We bought it last year for €22 a hopper cash ( I know lads with there own banks of turf been charged €25 for there own turf :D )
    If you not working then around mid May you could buy 20 hoppers and save them first. In good weather you this could be mid june. then go again and buy some more.....
    And sell for a nice profit (just dont tell welfare) :D

Grecco, how many hoppers in a 10 x 6 turf trailer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Grecco, how many hoppers in a 10 x 6 turf trailer?

That would depend on the size of the hopper. Some are bigger than others!!! The lad I cut turf with 6 sods and 40 yards hopper reckons there's 8 hoppers in a plot/trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Askim

That would depend on the size of the hopper. Some are bigger than others!!! The lad I cut turf with 6 sods and 40 yards hopper reckons there's 8 hoppers in a plot/trailer.

with us it's 10 sods wide & 110M long

A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Askim wrote: »
    with us it's 10 sods wide & 110M long

A
    Jaysus thats a big hopper

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭alderdeer

bogman007 wrote: »
    Hello all,

What i want to know is:

Thanks

I had to laugh earlier whrn i read this it brought me back to years ago when my neighbour used to sell turf each year.
    And each year i use to hear the exact same thing from him when hed call to take our empty fert bags. he was a very quite sorta man but hed get mighty vexed when hed see me coming with the bags if they wernt the one he was expecting especially if he saw any urea bags in it he be like sayin " for fcuks sake will ya leave those big enormous feckin hoores a bags back in da shed, dont ya know its by the bag im sellin it and those dirty bstards only eat turf. just give me those nice small nitrogen bags there lovely for da job. ya can put 5 big long sods in it an its full an tis th one price ill be gettin for them".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

We used to get turf back in the late 70's early 80's as much as you could cut in a deserted bog for £5 :) Lots of work cutting it with a hay knife and spreading it with a hay pike (fork) and footing it but we used to keep the fire going all winter with it for 2 houses :)

If you are buying saved turf in a bog take it away the day you buy it as I heard of someone that paid €1000 (100bags) for turf to sell on and when it went back next day to collect it it was gone :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Swinefluproof

He was robbed twice if he paid €1000 for 100 bags. Tenner a bag! Send him on to me I'll get him as much as he wants at that price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭O.A.P

bogman007 wrote: »
    Hello all,

What i want to know is:

Thanks
    Thats the worst user name on boards. ( Townie would work better)
    Get a fiver a bag and we will all have a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

He was robbed twice if he paid €1000 for 100 bags. Tenner a bag! Send him on to me I'll get him as much as he wants at that price
    :D That's what happens when you have whiskey on board I meant 1000 bags :o

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Boneitus

DONT DO IT

Did this with a mate of mine the summer after school, ended up making about 100e profit each(+ we used our neighbours bank so didnt have to pay for that), but it was not worth it. All the hours put in on the bog, we would have made more if we were footing turf for someone else and getting paid per hopper.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 bogman007

Thanks lads for all the info.

Im in college at the moment until mid May so id have the whole summer to go and do it. I live 1/2mile down the road from the bog so thats fine. I did it for a few summers years ago so id have no problem with the work. I know a couple of landowners down there so il head down this week sometime.

One of ye said that its not worth it cause i wouldn't make much out of it but jobs are very limited where i am even in the summer so as long as im doing something until September id be happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭aidanki

often thought about doing this, the thing that came to mind was how difficult would it be to sell it?

sounds like you live near a bog quite sure there is someone cutting 100s of bins near to you and selling it so that you can save it yourself. I remember back around the year 2000, he was cutting for 20 a bin selling it for 40 a bin, and 2.5bins went into a 10X6 trailer, (10 row bins 80yds long good turf). The 10X6 load was selling for 150-160 at the time.

you would want to have your numbers totted up before you go buying multiple bins of turf and somewhere to sell it

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭msbrobe

Sorry to hijack but does anyone have an idea of the price to buy a bog plot outright? Its roughly 1 acre and not in an area where turf cutting is restricted......yet!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 clonshanny

Anybody got an idea how many hoppers of turf would be in a 10x6 trailer with 3' high sides, if the hoppers were 12 sods by 100 yards long? This is my first year to rear our own turf so trying to get an idea on how many hoppers we'll need. We normally have enough in 2 traier loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭conseng

msbrobe wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack but does anyone have an idea of the price to buy a bog plot outright? Its roughly 1 acre and not in an area where turf cutting is restricted......yet!!

Know of one bought last year in Mayo, €3k. Very near full plot, slightly over an acre i'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭tommyc123

Hi

Just wonder if any of ye know how many bags (small fertilizer bags) of turf wud be in a metre of what comes out of a 4 sod hopper(ie- the 4 rows of turf )

• Registered Users Posts: 24,343 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

tommyc123 wrote: »
    Hi

Just wonder if any of ye know how many bags (small fertilizer bags) of turf wud be in a metre of what comes out of a 4 sod hopper(ie- the 4 rows of turf )

1 bag I'd say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Zombie thread :pac:

tommyc123 as you have started a new thread with the same question, I'm going to close this one. Please don't cross post the same query.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement