Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yamakasi Catleap monitor club.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭EoinHef

A few images of blb:

273983.jpg

273984.jpg

273986.jpg

The first two are directly at the monitor from about 1.5 meters away,the third is from an angle to the right. I just wasnted to show with the third shot that from different angles the blb becomes more or less noticable. I didnt change anything but the angle of the shot on the second pic from the first,as you can see though the blb on the left of the screen is gone in shot 2 but visible on shot 1 so sooo much seems to depend on the angle your viewing from. Just something interesting i noticed,for all the people with monitor arms that could be important,if you were willing to adjust the angle you viewed the monitor you could end up seeing very little BLB. Makes me think how much a decent monitor arm and stand are.....*Wallet Crys*:pac:
    I cant see it at all in normal use? Which is weird because i thought you would be able to. So i think people can either make it look worse or better depending on how they take pictures of it. I dont see it being anything of a problem at all,when you see some of the images online it looks really bad and in some cases im sure its not great but after testing mine i realise that it would have to be totally ridiculous to really have an effect.
    Which im delighted about because blb was my main worry buying the monitor:D
    Cant see any dead or stuck pixels either,im glad i didnt go for pixel perfect now,was an extra €40-50. And like a few people have said i doubt they get checked that rigourously anyway

First thing that struck me about the monitor is its size,its huge,i think that makes the stand issue worse,the weight and size of the monitor.
    BE PREPARED for the stand to be bad!!:(
    Picture quality is good but i have to say i was expecting a little more,still loads of settings and profiles to go through though so have to see what affect they have. Also i need to spend more time with it:P(GF wont be happy:rolleyes:)
    It looks as good as 1080p on my previous 23" monitor,but obviously you have a much bigger screen and get to keep the pixel density.

Im running a 7950 and i played Battlefied 3 and Skyrim for about 40 mins each with settings at ultra for both but i did half the AA for Battlefield 3 and both managed to get a fairly solid 60fps which i was surprised and happy about:)
    Overclock on the card was at 1050/1400 for those results,card can go higher but i plan too add a second and those clocks are to see temps,as in what thermal headroom i have to add a second card,definitely a few more case fans in order if i do go crossfire.
    Core temp max was 61C and the max VRM temp was 62C on the gpu(which i was surprised at,thought higher resolution would push the memory more?)
    I will try overclocking at some point,probaly wont have enough time for it though till next saturday,probably not much point with 1 7950 anyway

All in all im a happy camper,monitor arrived quickly,no major issues(so far!) and it all seems to work correctly,so hopefully a bargain:)

One thing i would say is if you are setting up this monitor for the first time id disconnect any second screens,my pc kept defaulting to the second screen(HDTV) which i didnt realise and all i was getting was a desktop image so thought something was wrong! Powered down,disconnected the second monitor,powered back up and it auto detected the Qnix and resolution:)

EDIT: Take it back about it not looking amazing,just played battlefield for 2 hours and F&*K ME,it is quality! The clarity is amazing,should improve my K/D no end,if i was worried about that sort of thing:pac:
    7950 holding up very well at the moment so happy chappy:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

EoinHef wrote: »
    Qnix arrived from korea today,shipping took a little longer than usual but i did order during korean new year(which the seller said would cause delays so fair enough). A week to get from korea to me is impressive in my book though.

My god the stand really is terrible,i underestimated how bad it is,have a kitten in the house which i hope doesnt end in disater:o

Ill check for dead pixels and back light bleed tonight and throw up a few pics if there is any

Edit: Box contained the dvi adapter and an adapter for the power brick plug,i did request the adapter which i think you have to ask for it,from accessorieswhole anyway

Dude overclock the qnix to 100 hz and play bf3 on med settings with vsync on...Its awesome.. My second 7970 arrives today so that should jump me up to ultra settings @100hz
    The extra refresh rate makes a huge difference... Its silky smooth
    Im sitting here waiting for 9am for the bf4 beta to kick off..4 coffees in me already...going to be late for work

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Looks like you got a good one. That's very minimal BLB.

Keep in mind you will need to change the color profile if overclocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

Mine looks quite severe in pictures, but it's actually hardly noticeable..

BZzDZEhl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭dark_jedi_ire

Hi again Folks.

Wanted to Let you know what happened with My monitor in the end,

Well after lots of contact with there Support team, Who are pretty good to be honest, I got Sent lots of How to fix my back light bleed, and Asked to try them which involved basically dismantling the Monitor and taping and trying to fix the issue,

In the end, it was the Metal strip around the outside of the actual IPS Screen itself, it was to close to the screen and warping the Screen and causing the BLB,.SO opened and taped it, Hmm interesting Results, it seemed to make a difference, But what is Actually the issue is the Metal Shell around the Screen, So I altered and adjusted it, just at the told me ,, Closed it ,, its seemed about 60% better, Left it on for about 30 Minutes, Came back to it and this is what is looked like. ( Im IT engineer and was being Helped by and Electronics Engineer)
    57i8.jpg

So I contacted them, And told them I wanted a full Refund, Sent them all the pictures.. I informed them that I didnt want to have to Do this in the first place the tha Monitor Was bascially faulty due to manufacturing process(which I had) and after Some more emails from me they told me To pack it up and they would get fedex to pick it up and its got send back, kept at them, for the refund. and just a few minutes ago, I got a Full refund from them. Pretty pleased I have to admit,

Folks if you getting these monitors its a lucky dip.. Be fully aware about fixing them yourselfs, even with there support...

I have decided however I still want a 27" monitor for gaming, and since I have my refund to add to the Amount and spend about 400 on and ASUS or Dell or Something, still Looking for 2650x1440 have been Looking online

Any of you good folks have any recommendations?

Here`s what I have been looking at
    Asus PB278Q 27 inch Widescreen LED Multimedia Monitor (2560x1440, 5ms, VGA, DVI-D, DisplayPort, HDMI)
    Dell Ultrasharp U2713HM AH IPS 27 inch Widescreen Monitor with LED
    and
    IIYAMA XB2776QS-B1 ProLite XB2776QS
    and the best Im looking at so far ASUS VG278HE but its only 1920x1080 :(

Any others?

Or go for a 24Inch, High end one

thanks

• Advertisement

Danger781 wrote: »
    Mine looks quite severe in pictures, but it's actually hardly noticeable..

BZzDZEhl.jpg

Yeah it doesnt reallt show at all when in ordinary use or games. I also had brightneas all the way up when taking the pictures and normal setting im using is about half that so its even less. It does seem to be lucky dip though.

Hows the stand on yours?
    Im thinking of trying to modify mine to make it a bit more sturdy, mime is shockin bad!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Hows the stand on yours?
    Im thinking of trying to modify mine to make it a bit more sturdy, mime is shockin bad!!

the stand is universally terrible on them when i can be arsed ill be changing it to a desk mounted system as the one i have for my secondary monitors is rock solid

@dark_jedi_irl Fair play man, shows you can get what you want with a bit perseverence!

I was looking everywhere,before I decided to go with the qnix,for a reasonably priced 2560 x 1440 monitor but I just couldnt see them anywhere for less than €500. The Asus one was the one I was looking at, id imagine the color profiles and settings on a it would be more geared towards gaming than say the dell. From what I read the dells would be more useful for photography.

I did come very close to ordering the asus, last minute decided to take a punt on the qnix.

The best prices I saw were on komplett.ie. I know its not a site used often on here but they had the best prices I could find for a 2560 x 1440. The Dell is on there now for €499 and they had the Asus for €509 but the asus is not there anymore, may be out of stock though so could always fire them an email if you were thinking about it

NTMK wrote: »
    the stand is universally terrible on them when i can be arsed ill be changing it to a desk mounted system as the one i have for my secondary monitors is rock solid

Those mounting arms arent cheap though, but do look fantastic in action.
    I doubt the desk im currently using would be able to stand the weight of the arm and monitor clamped to it. Its a fairly cheap ikea desk. I reckon ill just see if I can modify the current stand somehow for the moment

I thought the stand would be bad alright but I didnt realise how

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Qnix arrived from korea today,shipping took a little longer than usual but i did order during korean new year(which the seller said would cause delays so fair enough). A week to get from korea to me is impressive in my book though.

My god the stand really is terrible,i underestimated how bad it is,have a kitten in the house which i hope doesnt end in disater:o

Ill check for dead pixels and back light bleed tonight and throw up a few pics if there is any

Edit: Box contained the dvi adapter and an adapter for the power brick plug,i did request the adapter which i think you have to ask for it,from accessorieswhole anyway

Can you tell me how long it was in "customs clearance delay" in Fedex? My second one (have a Shimian for about a year now, LOVE IT!) arrived into Ireland this morning, its like waiting for Santa :) Went for a Crossover 2720mdp this time cos i needed the DP connection. Went with accessorieswhole as well instead of greensum cos they had the best DP one. Fingers crossed it doesn't get stuck too long in customs. Did they ask you to email them an invoice or anything?

• Advertisement

Those mounting arms arent cheap though, but do look fantastic in action.
    I doubt the desk im currently using would be able to stand the weight of the arm and monitor clamped to it. Its a fairly cheap ikea desk. I reckon ill just see if I can modify the current stand somehow for the moment

I thought the stand would be bad alright but I didnt realise how

my one cost £22 and is attached to an £18 argos desk :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Any chance of a link to the arm and a pic? :D

Phibsboro wrote: »
    Any chance of a link to the arm and a pic? :D

2013+-+1

I can put up better pics of the arm later and the monitor arm i use is the one armed version of http://www.amazon.co.uk/Duronic-Double-Monitor-Bracket-Swivel/dp/B00AV70AEI (Duronic 351) the double arm one isnt big enough for a 27" and a 24" in landscape

Phibsboro wrote: »
    Can you tell me how long it was in "customs clearance delay" in Fedex? My second one (have a Shimian for about a year now, LOVE IT!) arrived into Ireland this morning, its like waiting for Santa :) Went for a Crossover 2720mdp this time cos i needed their DP connection. Went with accessorieswhole as well instead of greensum cos they had the best DP one. Fingers crossed it doesn't get stuck too long in customs. Did they ask you to email them an invoice or anything?

Mine was only held for 24hrs in the import clearance centre. Then 24hrs in a local fedex facility then deliverd the next day. So the delay was about 2 days once it got to ireland, and delivered the 3rd day, was 6 working days from when I ordered. Was fairly impressed with that!

I couldn wait either, was better than santa, he never gave me anything like the monitor:)

Maybe I shouldnt worry so much then and just grab one!
    Theres no way im gonna just leave stand as is, too dodgy!

Anyone know anything about these?
    DGM IPS-2701WPH 27" LED Widescreen Professional Monitor

Any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I was under the impression that they were much the same as the others, apart from some of the bigger European sellers taking them on - you still have much the same screen and stand but you don't have to fork out import duties and of course if you're buying through a local seller, you'll have a better returns policy.

TFT central, one of the best monitor reviewers on the net actually did an article on it.
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dgm_ips-2701wph.htm

Edit: A three year warranty with overclockers isn't bad, assuming that's still the case. I suppose it takes some of the risk out of it. As you bump up the budget though, the U2713HM and the likes get very close.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I'm seeing 4 seperate sales of the seemingly same 27" monitor, 270 and 271s, from the same seller at various costs:

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

Link 4

Which one do you go for?

If it was me link 4

Speaking of Yamakasi Catleap,,

Are they Back Light? Do they get back light Bleed? anyone got one and got BLB?
    What Hz do they run at? Default 60hz? are they overcloakable?
    Compared to the Qnix(spit haha)? worth it? or running the same issues?

Jezz any none korean Monitors are over 500 euro and all seem to be stuck at 60hz

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

If it was me link 4

Speaking of Yamakasi Catleap,,

Are they Back Light? Do they get back light Bleed? anyone got one and got BLB?
    What Hz do they run at? Default 60hz? are they overcloakable?
    Compared to the Qnix(spit haha)? worth it? or running the same issues?

Jezz any none korean Monitors are over 500 euro and all seem to be stuck at 60hz

They all seem to have 60hz - 'but', if you got the know how, you can do this:

"A PCB swap is possible to make newer Catleaps OC up to 97h 120hz with the proper GPU (READ: nVidia 680.) We have not sourced these PCBs at this time (3/20/02), but have several leads. See post 1002 for pics of a successful swap."

Link

Which I don't... pft

• Advertisement

BeerWolf wrote: »
    I'm seeing 4 seperate sales of the seemingly same 27" monitor, 270 and 271s, from the same seller at various costs:

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

Link 4

Which one do you go for?

It would be a personal choice really.
    From what I can see the first link is a perfect pixel model, the second is the same monitor but the screen is tempered glass finish. You can get tempered glass, glossy and matte finishs. The 3rd one is the q271 model and the 4th is the q270.

The 271 is probably a new revision of the 270 model, dont know whats changed between. Could be anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 andyoc

HI

I want to get 4 27" monitors, 2560x1440.

I will also get graphics cards to run them, if necessary

Computer is i72600k, Asus P8Z68-V PRO and I am currently running 4 monitors, 2x 27" and 2x23" @ 1980, with 2 8600 GTS cards [256MB]

Any suggestions??

andyoc wrote: »
    HI

I want to get 4 27" monitors, 2560x1440.

I will also get graphics cards to run them, if necessary

Computer is i72600k, Asus P8Z68-V PRO and I am currently running 4 monitors, 2x 27" and 2x23" @ 1980, with 2 8600 GTS cards [256MB]

Any suggestions??

are you gaming with all 4?
    you'll need at least 2 Gpus just to output to that if im not mistaken.
    The graphical power needed for one is very high if you're gaming

• Registered Users Posts: 39 andyoc

Not gaming....just need lots of screen real estate....

Also possible interested in a stand for them - two up, two down.

1 2

3 4

Anybody know if there is such a beast?

Thnx

You will need 2 graphics cards to run that. Both will need to have 2 x dual link dvi-d connections which looks like this.

DVI-D_Dual_Link_Connector.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭loseyourself

Anyone have any problems running games in SLI? Considering getting a second one and a QNIX catleap but play games fairly competively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Anyone have any problems running games in SLI? Considering getting a second one and a QNIX catleap but play games fairly competively.

Beyond the cooling, microstutter, incompatibilities and, once, a capacitor popping it's been plain sailing for me :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭loseyourself

Bepolite wrote: »
    Beyond the cooling, microstutter, incompatibilities and, once, a capacitor popping it's been plain sailing for me :pac:

Ha, it it running okay now for you. How bad is the microstutter? What cooling would you need? I probably won't bother overclocking them until I need to further down the line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Ha, it it running okay now for you. How bad is the microstutter? What cooling would you need? I probably won't bother overclocking them until I need to further down the line

I just run a single GPU these days. I have a 7950 running at 1100Mhz, I've toyed with various setups over the years when it comes down to it my personal sweet spot is an upper end card with the balls clocked off it, on air cooling. I find it to be the most cost effective. I don't really need anything above 50FPS anyways, and the 7950 is running most stuff at 2560x1440p around what I consider acceptable. YMMV of course.

My SLI setup was 2 x 6600 (IIRC) that blew a capacitor, then I had two 4870s in Xfire, the top card used to get insanely hot. Aside from the odd incompatibility issue I didn't have many issues of the software side, only on the HW side.

• Advertisement

Microstutter has been largely fixed with the newer cards/drivers. It still exists in some games though but they are constantly improving it. Amd have been banging out driver updates over the last few months.

Advertisement