Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yamakasi Catleap monitor club.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

You guys need to learn to love DirectX 9 and fps configs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭peneau

glynf wrote: »
    There's a thread here on same, looks like you'll need 2 GB max or else no AA though.

Thanks for the link glynf off to read up now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Does anyone know if it's possible to power one of these monitors via a displayport? Looking to get a desktop for office work but want a 27" monitor with 2560 x 1440 resolution.... Most likely gonna be onboard gfx...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Brian wrote: »
    You guys need to learn to love DirectX 9 and fps configs :)

tell me about it, I'd say my 560ti would do fine on it with a config.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

if anyone is interested, my total came to €277 after conversion.

I also spent the last 3 hours playing BF on my 'old' 1080p monitor trying to trouble shoot some issues a friend was having, and I was actually shocked. its like Minecraft, and I was playing on ultra settings. I don't think I could ever go back. if my new one broke, I'd definitely buy another.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

That's the thing about buying better monitors, you spoil yourself and can't go back. My 1080p 120hz is the best I've ever seen, i dont wanna see more expensive ones :(

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

i am really so temptedto get one too, but feck, i need GPU upgrade for it. no point getting such monitor, just to end up lowering all settings to tetris level :(

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Osmosae

I dont have the catleap, but i have another 27" IPS, and gotta agree with tea, i just couldnt go back to a lower monitor, IPS is the biz. Really wanna get 1 or two of these catleaps to replace my side monitor

well I can't speak for much, but I can say that dropping the AA at this res really helps with the fps massively, and you honestly can only see the difference between 0 and x4AA in rocks and stuff on BF3. I'm able to play on x2, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if I turned it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Bacon and Cabbage

Received my catleap today and just finished setting it up, no dead pixels as far as i can see, image quality is phenomenal.
    Unfortunately customs got me for €30 but still a great deal in my opinion!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Osmosae

i might have to install a copy of BF3 to see what i can push out ... cant imagine it being anything fantastic though thanks to my quadro :(

€30 is fair enough man, you could have been hit for a lot more. Irish customs is only valuing the monitor at €145!!

who did you buy from, what postal service, and what did they value it at on the invoice?

Yeah certainly could have been a lot worse! Ordered from dream seller, EMS so came via an post and was marked as 100 USD on invoice

Yeah certainly could have been a lot worse! Ordered from dream seller, EMS so came via an post and was marked as 100 USD on invoice

did you asked for it?

Nope didn't ask the seller for anything specific if that's what you mean

Just ordered the Crossover 27Q LED-P monitor off ebay, same panel etc. as the catleap but comes with a much better stand. Came to €311, worth the extra me thinks.. Stand is height adjustable, tilts, swivels and pivots.. Just need to get a gfx card for it now, although I wont be gaming on it.. just for office work, so something cheap n cheerful will do... Now, hope I don't get stung for customs....

btw guys, do you get any sort of warranty?

btw guys, do you get any sort of warranty?

They all come with a 1yr warranty but u gotta ship it back to Korea.. N that cost around $120...

unklerosco wrote: »
    Just ordered the Crossover 27Q LED-P monitor off ebay, same panel etc. as the catleap but comes with a much better stand. Came to €311, worth the extra me thinks.. Stand is height adjustable, tilts, swivels and pivots.. Just need to get a gfx card for it now, although I wont be gaming on it.. just for office work, so something cheap n cheerful will do... Now, hope I don't get stung for customs....
    make sure whatever card you pick up has dual-link DVI, and supports the res.

You'll be very happy with the screen for office work. i was using it with excel + word open side by side for a lab report, and the screens real-estate is just incredible.

i was interested in the CrossOver, but i didnt think a slightly better stand justified €40. its VESA mount so any stand will work and i could pick up something great for that price anyway. I also wanted guaranteed support for the 100hz OC chips.

My plan is to get a hd5450 to run it.. Should do the job. I've a 27" iMac which I'm selling so I wanted to get a screen just as good to replace it.. This is the perfect replacement... I would have gotten the catleap and a wallmount but I've nowhere to stick a mount so wanted to make sure I got a decent stand...

• Advertisement

are there 120hz ips monitors?

edit: i see they've started rolling out. I'd love to have both, wouldn't want to give up 120hz at this stage. I'd say you need a beast of a card though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

are there 120hz ips monitors?

edit: i see they've started rolling out. I'd love to have both, wouldn't want to give up 120hz at this stage. I'd say you need a beast of a card though

any links? That would be mighty tempting!

Where can you get solid VESA mounts for cheap? It looks like IKEA used to sell them but not any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭stevenf17

Brian wrote: »
    Where can you get solid VESA mounts for cheap? It looks like IKEA used to sell them but not any more.

€25 after you add delivery!
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Designer-Habitat-Basics-Cantilever-Monitor/dp/B0044YMQIW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333452323&sr=8-1

As long the screens got a standard 100x100 vesa mount should be fine!
    The Designer Habitat stuff is good quality too btw!

stevenf17 wrote: »
    €25 after you add delivery!
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Designer-Habitat-Basics-Cantilever-Monitor/dp/B0044YMQIW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333452323&sr=8-1

As long the screens got a standard 100x100 vesa mount should be fine!
    The Designer Habitat stuff is good quality too btw!
    any others you recommend that isn't a wall mount? I live in rented accommodation and the landlord wouldn't appreciate my monitor as much as I do
    :o
    also, should we be worried it says 'up to 23" '

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭stevenf17

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    any others you recommend that isn't a wall mount? I live in rented accommodation and the landlord wouldn't appreciate my monitor as much as I do
    :o
    also, should we be worried it says 'up to 23" '

There's stuff like this too then if you can't use a wall mount, but you'll be looking at €50
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0036YMAXM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A2LXHTRCF7AENL

and i wouldn't be too worried if it only says up to 23", as long as the screens got a 100x100 mount and is less than the "rated" 15KG's, I don't see how'd there be any problem!

I'd like a desk stand with possibly the ability to rotate into portrait.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I've been using the predecessor of this thing for years now:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ergotron-Desk-Mount-LCD-Arm/dp/B00358RIRC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333489306&sr=8-1

It's expensive, but Ergotron are pretty much the industry standard. I've had mine for just about three years now, and three monitors, four desks, and more remounts and monitor-moving than I can remember, and I've only ever had to tighten a single hex bolt, once. This was to stop the main pole wobbling slightly. End point: Best €200 (at the time) I've ever spent. Holds a 6.5Kg U2410 with no problems. Max weight of 9.1Kg, if bolted through the desk (mine hasn't been).

Serephucus wrote: »
    I've been using the predecessor of this thing for years now:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ergotron-Desk-Mount-LCD-Arm/dp/B00358RIRC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333489306&sr=8-1

It's expensive, but Ergotron are pretty much the industry standard. I've had mine for just about three years now, and three monitors, four desks, and more remounts and monitor-moving than I can remember, and I've only ever had to tighten a single hex bolt, once. This was to stop the main pole wobbling slightly. End point: Best €200 (at the time) I've ever spent. Holds a 6.5Kg U2410 with no problems. Max weight of 9.1Kg, if bolted through the desk (mine hasn't been).

I think I'd rather DIY something out of coathangers than spend that much on a mount for a €270 monitor :p

• Advertisement

Burgo wrote: »
    any links? That would be mighty tempting!

Not any in particular, I just googled 120hz IPS and a saw some monitor came out start of this year so I'd say they are just starting to make them. I can't go back under 120fps damn it!

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=354375

Advertisement