Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Charity Workers At The Checkout???

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭umop.episdn

Snoopy1 wrote: »
    I'm female

Other way around so? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

I absolutely hate it when they are in stores, or even at the entrance of a store. Begging has no place at all and I genuinely get quite angry about it. If I see any in a shop I will go to the self-service tills, but if that is not possible, I just walk out of the shop and they lose my custom. I am going to write to the shops about this demanding an explanation as to why they feel its OK to make their customers feel obliged to donate or face the embarrassment of having to say no.

I do not want to be faced with that choice, I want to buy my goods and leave guilt free.

I wonder if shouting and making a big scene in the shop every single time it happens to me will draw attention to customers discomfort at this disgusting practice. As far as I am concerned, standing back is not good enough, I dont even want to see them. Besides virtually every single charity is a complete and utter scam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

This is another reason why i shop online, i already contribute to several charities.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    What do the parents association intend to do with the cash raised? Would there be cash available then to the parents of a child who couldn't afford the crested tracksuit etc for instance?

As it's a small school, we get very little funding and it's quite old also. Over the past 3 years we have painted the school internally, got new carpets, new shelving, iPads. In the process now of getting games painted permanently onto the Tarmac plus a few other things for the kids.

The school isn't strict on crested anything so we don't have that pressure. We subsidise sports lessons so the parents don't have the whole cost etc. everything we raise is for the kids in relation to their education, safety, comfort and enjoyment. They are only kids for a small time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I don't have an issue with bag packing in supermarkets, so long as it is for causes that benefit the local community. I also feel that it should only be done by registered charity groups. I won't give to sports clubs or schools, tbh I've no interest in subsidising other people's kids leisure activities. As for school collections, if they can't raise the money among the parents then they should just do without.

When I was at school there was none of this sending kids door to door with sponsorship cards and bag packing for schools.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    Did you or anyone else voice their disapproval? I expect others would similarly not be happy about it.

They know I am not keen, but as we are such a small school, we need all hands on deck, so to speak to cover the whole day.

We know that it's a quick way to get some funding, even if we don't enjoy doing it. We just have to look at the end result.

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    I know its just that I am personally aware of 2 seperate incidents of Parents Association secerataries stealing funds from the A/C.
    In one case the entire account was wiped out by someone under severe financial pressure but every penny has been repaid over a period of 2 years (€10000)
    The other case is far more complex, almost clinical embezzlement over many many years (€50000) by someone very comfortably off an extremely overpowering individual highly respected until this in a small rural community. Its in the hands of the Gardai now and the person has adopted a " you can't prove anything" attitude.

That is always a worry, but we have 3 people authorised to withdraw money, any two have to be there to sign for it. All funding is counted after any event by the commitee members together. All lodgement receipts are then copied and emailed to each member. We are a decent bunch though, think we are all trustworthy!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

I can get peoples frustration with these charity bag packers, a lot of them are absolute gobshoites, but i use to do a lot of this kind of fundraising with the scouts to fund trips etc I can tell everybody reading this thread that is a success way for funding raising for any cause once its approached in the right manner with the best intentions. To reference a comment about not letting a teenage boy pack bags, there is no difference between a boy and girl with this issue, they are both useless at times. Putting a load of bread at the bottom of a bottom with a 2 2litre bottles on top lol house hold supplies like bleach , washing liquid in with fruit vegetables lol its funny but a learning curve for them too, even tho its just packing bags. and even packing 2 or 3 things into one bag with the customer only having 3 bags to do her whole shop and they have already used the bags she had with a full load left to pack .....lol its endless . but there are some adults that should know better :mad::o

I especially despise football teams, the most ignorant,rude and disrespectful people of all i think. Had an incedent before where there was a team, and had 2 lads at my till, I said no thanks politly and packed my bags myself, (since iv done a fair few time :p) but i put a €5 euro note in anyway , because to me being in the scouts and been given donations helped me do things as a kid and kept me off the streets etc so i saw them benefiting in the same way that i did. The continued to talk and curse, ignored me putting the money in the bucket and didn't even say thank you after seeing me put the money in. On my way out, I said to what seemed to be the team coach, that when someone donates money for a cause , a thank you would be nice and would go a long way. I got told to fcuk off . . . i sniggered at the coach, put my bags down against the wall, went back to till i came from and took my fiver back out of the bucket, went back to my bags where the coach was and told him to go fcuk himself and that with the attitude he has, the only people that will suffer is those kids, he said the usual, 'you can't do that" blah blah blah I just picked up and left & laughed at him. Iv never came across this. Iv played for football teams since i was 11 tip i was 18 or 19, I know what the typical soccer head can be like (not all, some) , a little less tuned in with manners etc lol :pac: but there is almost usually a manager with a team that is 100% a gent. Couldn't believe this guy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

I think some here have missed my point ............ I don't like bag packing as a form of fund raising no matter what the cause ........... whether scouts are more deserving that a football team is another debate altogether!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

I never said scouts are more deserving of fundraising for a case over a soccer team lol :confused::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

A V A wrote: »
    I never said scouts are more deserving of fundraising for a case over a soccer team lol :confused::rolleyes:

My point is it's irrelevant to me what the "charity" is, it's irrelevant to me the age/gender of the bag packer, it's irrelevant to me the attitude (bad or fake polite) of the bag packer ............. I don't like them there in my path so to speak .......... I want to walk in to a shop, select my items, pay for them and just leave

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

but i put a €5 euro note in anyway , because to me being in the scouts and been given donations helped me do things as a kid and kept me off the streets etc so i saw them benefiting in the same way that i did. The continued to talk and curse, ignored me putting the money in the bucket and didn't even say thank you after seeing me put the money in. On my way out, I said to what seemed to be the team coach, that when someone donates money for a cause , a thank you would be nice and would go a long way. I got told to fcuk off . . . i sniggered at the coach, put my bags down against the wall, went back to till i came from and took my fiver back out of the bucket, went back to my bags where the coach

A more effective approach would have been to call the manager of the supermarket and report the incident to him See how long the goodwill lasts. A follow up e-mail to the supermarkets head office would make sure they adequately screened who they were allowing fundraise in their shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭BnB

I especially despise football teams, the most ignorant,rude and disrespectful people of all i think....

Jaysus... That's some fair quality tarring with the one brush there....

Is it just Soccer or does that include Gaelic Football as well. How about Rugby... ball is shaped slightly differently so maybe that impacts it slightly...????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Is begging legal in Ireland? Begging in the street by homeless people? Or what about busking? Is it legal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Is begging legal in Ireland? Begging in the street by homeless people? Or what about busking? Is it legal?

Begging is not legal. They did try to outlaw begging but that has been struck down by the courts.

Nothing illegal about busking per se. If they were causing an obstruction they could be asked to move on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Looked up and it was my ex fiancee doing the packing. Awkward!!!!
    I'm female

Fiancee is female, fiance is male, explains the confusion :)

I hate bag packers, havent encountered any in ages thankfully

Advertisement