Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sent to prison for debt owed...

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Where people refuse to pay tradespeople or builders the tradesperson has great difficulty using legal channels to get the money. The client can argue that work was not as agreed, or not up to standard, took too long etc. The legal costs associated with taking a client to court are huge. Both the tradesperson and the client will appoint Engineers to substantiate their claims. This adds to the bill.

The builder however, as a result of not being paid cannot then pay his suppliers, Revenue, or even himself. These debtors then take legal action and ultimately the builder has his vehicle and tools taken by the sherife.

I have heard of this happening to several perfectly good builders and it is tragic to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Bluloa

Do you have your debts cleared if you go to jail? It would seem pathetic to go to jail and still have the debts afterwards.

My understanding is that any debt to Revenue remains even after you go to jail. Remeber you most likely go to jail for refusing or being unable to abide by a court order to pay money owed.

Debts to individuals I think are no longer due if you have been sent to jail for inability or unwillingness to pay.

Again, I'm not sure of exact situation and have not found much advice on the net.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Bluloa wrote: »
    Do you have your debts cleared if you go to jail? It would seem pathetic to go to jail and still have the debts afterwards.

The debt is still due, but you can't be imprisoned under the same section for the same debt twice.

However, it would be very unusual for someone to seek committal of a debtor when they have assets which can be seized, property that can be charged or income which can be garnished.

Does anyone know what happens when debtor does not have assets of any consequence. Could the courts forfeit his wifes, kids assets to pay monies due to revenue or other creditors.

More and more people are unable to pay their personal por business debts. others are perhaps simply refusing to pay. This is causing huge problems for small businesses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

jhegarty wrote: »
    No one has ever been sent to jail for not paying the tv license.

They have been sent to jail for not paying the fines imposed by the court.

These fines are for not paying your tv linense.
    So dont you go to jail for not paying your tv linense?

If you are court for non payment, you probably dont have alot of money at your disposal. So how is it justice to throw someone like that in jail?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Does anyone know what happens when debtor does not have assets of any consequence. Could the courts forfeit his wifes, kids assets to pay monies due to revenue or other creditors.
    Kids don't have assets (everything they 'own' is really owned by their parents til they turn 18), and married persons are considered one person for many legal purposes, including sharing of assets and debts I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Dob74 wrote: »

If you are court for non payment, you probably dont have alot of money at your disposal. So how is it justice to throw someone like that in jail?
    To encourage them to follow the laws of the land?

The distinction, as we've discussed countless times here, is between 'can't pay' and 'won't pay', It's rare that someone in the former category would be jailed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭shqipshume

Chief--- wrote: »
    Alot of people choose to go to prison instead of paying the fines.

Its alot easier to go to mountjoy for 15 days (probably only 3 or 4 in the end) than paying a couple of hundered euro or €1000 fine.

But should that have to an option for people who cant afford to pay and are hard working law abiding citizens.But when you are top in the dail etc... you get a slap on wrist.I want to see them do some time for what they have done.If it was 1916 they would have been shot for treason:D They say no room in prisons so they stock them up with people who cant afford a fine:confused:

Great book good luck with that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,798 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Dob74 wrote: »

No - you are sent to prison for not obeying a court order

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    No - you are sent to prison for not obeying a court order

Which essentially means your sent to prison for not paying the fine/bill

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement