Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

transit based camper

• 25-04-2014 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,183 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    being as most campers are based on Fiat Ducato running gear , there have been many threads about what to look out for on these models. But I An going to look at a Transit based Laika camper next week. Its built on a 1996 "smiley" 2.5 turbo diesel with 112 thousand miles. Are there any particular things I should be watching out for? All help gratefully received !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,905 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Check for rust, wings and sills are the usual places they go.
    But check thoroughly, they can rust in other places as well.
    Laika are pretty well made generally especially the pre 2000 models.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Hi all,
    being as most campers are based on Fiat Ducato running gear , there have been many threads about what to look out for on these models. But I An going to look at a Transit based Laika camper next week. Its built on a 1996 "smiley" 2.5 turbo diesel with 112 thousand miles. Are there any particular things I should be watching out for? All help gratefully received !
    Rust, rust and then have a look for some rust! Get underneath every part of the van and check the chassis legs etc. You wont have inner sills which tend to go but also have a good look around the driver and passenger steps and around the engine bay.
    They would be my van of choice for a pre 2000 camper, very reliable, light on diesel and very easy to fix if anything goes wrong. At 112k you will need a timing belt so make sure this is included in price or done very recently.
    They are very easy to rob and ring so make sure all the numbers match up and get yourself some security if you buy it.

Advertisement