Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Things you refuse to buy in Lidl and Aldi....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

The Aldi shampoo is useless, not because its cheap because there is/was an apple Tesco shampoo that was great.

Ha I love how some people have a weird phobia about anything that comes from Aldi or Lidl I remember when Lidl came to town when I was still in school the teacher used to make a point regularly that she would not even step into the shop because the food just wasnt... right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

The Aldi fabric softener is really bad. The Lidl stuff is good though.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I buy most of my shopping in Aldi, wouldn't buy the baked beans, tried Lidl ones when they first arrived and they were rank.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

whirlpool wrote: »
    I always laugh when I see Aldi's version of "Hunky Dorys" http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/product_range/product_range_19188.htm
    Bill O'Herlihy's favorite crisps.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

forfuxsake wrote: »
    I do find their catfood too salty

WTF?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Don't the Lidl condoms have the quality assurance symbol on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Don't know how people can complain about Lidl's bread as it's baked in store all day and is nice and fresh.

Unless you're a "Brennan's" bread person.

Good bread is very hard to get in Ireland.

Also coffee.....people saying their instant coffee is poor makes me laugh.

Don't see anything wrong with their veg or chicken fillets or millk.

I always laugh when I see Aldi's version of "Hunky Dorys" http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/product_range/product_range_19188.htm

Wow, how do they get away with that?

Something similar in Lidl that looks like 'Utterly butterly"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

The condoms have a German quality assurance number or something or other to say they are up to the job. Don't think the Germans would settle for shoddy merchandise. Have used them in the past with no problems

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Lidl in Ashbourne have an in house bakery and its brilliant, very tasty and reasonable but back on topic would not buy cereals from both,they are rank!!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 755 ✭✭✭sea_monkey

chainsaws

i like to get mine from a reliable source that deals in many types of chainsaws

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭hamco

Coffee and washing powder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

The bread

Whats wrong with the fresh bread section in Lidl? its pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I used to be a retailer/brand snob then reality kicked in and I dipped my toes in. Made a few "wrong" purchases early doors like the cheap sausages (but these are lovely) but truth is most of what you find is perfectly decent/good or indeed great - fruit and veg are excellent, the fat frozen chisps are bonzo as is the chocolate, the cheddar (green and purple packs) is lovely. Bixies are better than Weetabix for half the price. All pasta, noodles, tagliatelle type products are as good as anyones.

Stay away from the ultra cheap frozen ready meals though. Very basic eating indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Hahahahahahhahahahahahahahahah so good.

The cereals are awesome for just mixing together loads of cereals, nothing better than about 5 cereals in one, but they(think Lidl) used to have the most vile 'fruity hoops' cereal I've ever tasted

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

I wouldn't buy their whiskey, purely because it's gross. I've tried their cheese and chorizo though, which is not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

My wife had our first child in 2010. We planned to wait two years before our second. But thanks to lidl, our second is nearly one already. (not joking)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

My wife had our first child in 2010. We planned to wait two years before our second. But thanks to lidl, our second is nearly one already. (not joking)

Is that cause you could afford a second because they are cheaper than the other shops? Or because you used their condoms (or cling film)?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Lidl in Ashbourne have an in house bakery and its brilliant

They all do AFAIK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

murpho999 wrote: »

Wow, how do they get away with that?

Something similar in Lidl that looks like 'Utterly butterly"

They get away with it because they're made by Largo Foods, same as Hunky Dorys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭mummymoo

the only thing i dont buy in there is shampoo (because they dont sell the one i use) and nappies, there shocking! everything else is great!

Of course that has never happened with Durex!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

That's what happens when you let the wife shag a shop. (am joking)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

pc7 wrote: »

Is that cause you could afford a second because they are cheaper than the other shops? Or because you used their condoms (or cling film)?

Answer 2.

I have two kids, the big one and the lidl one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭chimmy chonga

forfuxsake wrote: »

I do find their catfood too salty
    well don't eat it then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Their cereal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Spirits and that's about it. Aldi is great quality. I don't look at Lidl so much but I'm sure there's nothing wrong with the place either.

Answer 2.

I have two kids, the big one and the lidl one

Hope he doesn't get a complex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭chimmy chonga

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    They get away with it because they're made by Largo Foods, same as Hunky Dorys.
    You will find that they are Hunky Dory rejects - the quality is sh1t. imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Before I was poor there was lots of stuff I would only buy in Tesco like mayo ketchup toilet paper toiletries etc. Now I am a lot less fussy but still buy toiletries in Tesco. Did try lidl toothpaste once and it was horrible

Advertisement