Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Full License

• 23-12-2008 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭

Guys what's involved in the full license test?

I only ride a 125 Innova so can't do the A license on it just the A1 but what's the waiting time for a test?

I'd heard it's up to a year but on the RSA website it says it's about a 12 week wait in Cork but this may apply to cars exclusively...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

After just talking to somebody, he's now at 9 months in Dublin without a response.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

As far as i know the A and the A1 test are exactly the same so rent a bike and do the A if you can, you will end up on the waiting list again when you want to trade up if you don't.

The waiting times seem to vary allot i have heard of people waiting 6 months and i have heard of people waiting 12 months the times on the website are for cars. Your best bet is to ring and ask which centre near you has the shortest time.

Do a pretest with an instructor they will show what the testers are looking for and take you through the test routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

When I applied for mine last Febuary, I got my test in April. Bear in mind that they don't test at this time of the year so expect the list to be a little longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

When I applied for mine last Febuary, I got my test in April. Bear in mind that they don't test at this time of the year so expect the list to be a little longer.
    They do test at this time of the year. Heard of at least 4 people passing their test in Dublin in the past 7 days.

@ OP: apply for the A License and rent a bike. It's worth the hassle! And apply now before they introduce the 16 hours of compulsory training in January! Then wait and hope it won't take a year for them to get back to you... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

They do test at this time of the year. Heard of at least 4 people passing their test in Dublin in the past 7 days.

@ OP: apply for the A License and rent a bike. It's worth the hassle! And apply now before they introduce the 16 hours of compulsory training in January! Then wait and hope it won't take a year for them to get back to you... :rolleyes:

Whats this about 16 hours compulsory training?

I thought that was going to be for getting the learners permit?

• Advertisement

hi_im_fil wrote: »
    Whats this about 16 hours compulsory training?

I thought that was going to be for getting the learners permit?
    IIRC I heard/read that it will also be required for all L drivers applying for the Test after the 1st January. But I could be wrong and I hope I am!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

IIRC I heard/read that it will also be required for all L drivers applying for the Test after the 1st January. But I could be wrong and I hope I am!
    Ouch, thats a kick in the balls if you have already paid for training.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

Balls, might just apply for the test now. 16 hours training at an average of €30/hr is €480. Cant really afford that.

Has anyone got a link showing whether this new compulsory training is actually coming in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

16 hours?????!!!!!!!! I won't be able to afford a bike then!!!

Thanks for that Steffano think I'll apply right away!

Fabio wrote: »
    16 hours?????!!!!!!!! I won't be able to afford a bike then!!!

Thanks for that Steffano think I'll apply right away!
    Yeah, better safe than sorry lads so go ahead and book it now! That's what I just did it online for the GF (she only got her provisional license back in September). ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

Guys what size bike is needed for a test to fill in all categories?

Paddy001 wrote: »
    Guys what size bike is needed for a test to fill in all categories?
    Anything above 125cc will get you an "A" license.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

test's are being cancelled all over the country as new skills are being tested like driving threw cones,testers are saying that they are not quilified to do this test and also where do they do this?
    they can hardly just put cones down in the middle of the road
    also theres a new swerve and avoid test the same is being said by testers this is not safe to do on a public road :eek:
    the whole testing in this country for mbikes is a joke at the min even when you pass youre test youre still restricted for 2 years to 33bhp
    glad i did mine 20 years ago :D
    if it was me i'd be going to the uk to do it you can do a 5 day course and if you pass drive what you want

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

jambofc wrote: »
    test's are being cancelled all over the country as new skills are being tested like driving threw cones,testers are saying that they are not quilified to do this test and also where do they do this?
    they can hardly just put cones down in the middle of the road
    also theres a new swerve and avoid test the same is being said by testers this is not safe to do on a public road :eek:
    the whole testing in this country for mbikes is a joke at the min even when you pass youre test youre still restricted for 2 years to 33bhp
    glad i did mine 20 years ago :D
    if it was me i'd be going to the uk to do it you can do a 5 day course and if you pass drive what you want

I did mine recent enought, 15th Dec, and passed. There was no cones involved, but it was explained in the test centre about the 2 new parts of the test, 1 the controlled breaking and 2. the swerve to avoid an obstruction.

Both of these were carried out on the public roads and the examiner is behind you when doing the breaking part and ensures it is safe to do it, for the swerve they drive about 150 meters doen the road and pull in and get out of the car, you then drive towards them and before you get to them you check your mirrors indicate and change lanes, then indicate to pull back in and stop in fron of the examiner

Advertisement