Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

dermot10 wrote: »
    Hi All..would anyone know who the manager or owner is of bia restaurant drogheda please?? Thanks

Go on fill us in!!!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

macadam wrote:
    Go on fill us in!!!

Popcorn at the ready! !

• Registered Users Posts: 38 dermot10

dermot10 wrote: »
    Hi All..would anyone know who the manager or owner is of bia restaurant drogheda please?? Thanks
    Its for a job application!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

dermot10 wrote:
    Its for a job application!!

Ah here ..... that's not remotely popcorn worthy! ;p

• Registered Users Posts: 38 dermot10

Sorry to disappoint you!! Lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

Tried Maria's on Laurence's Street for lunch on Saturday. Have only been there once before about two years ago. Have to say that it was very nice! Menu is very nice, plenty of choice on it. Myself & my mam had the Malaguena salad with chorizo & goats cheese, dressed in balsamic vinegar. It was delicious & nice sized portion. My one year old had Spag Bol which she demolished! Staff were very nice & accommodating, nice atmosphere in it. 26euro for the three of us with two teas.

Will try to go back for an evening meal soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭positron

Something went wrong when I visited at that Spanish place last time - picked two adult portions and two kids portions (5 year and 3 year old, 3 year old wanted just a drink really) and we got served four adult portions instead. Said something about the chef getting it wrong, and in the end we got charged for four adult portions as well! Not sure why, I didn't bother asking.

That was the only time we were there, but may be we will give them another go based on the review above.

positron wrote: »
    Something went wrong when I visited at that Spanish place last time - picked two adult portions and two kids portions (5 year and 3 year old, 3 year old wanted just a drink really) and we got served four adult portions instead. Said something about the chef getting it wrong, and in the end we got charged for four adult portions as well! Not sure why, I didn't bother asking.

That was the only time we were there, but may be we will give them another go based on the review above.

Oh that's a pity - maybe you got them on a bad day :( That said, she told me she was giving me a half portion of the pasta for my little girl & it was still quite a large portion. I had to get the waitress to take it away after a while because she kept eating it, even though she had had more than enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 louthgirl70

I went for a family meal out in the Black Bull in Drogheda a few weeks ago, the food was pretty bad. We had to wait nearly 2 hours for a mains course to arrive which I got the chicken. Well it was suppose to be chicken supreme , but they were missing the pastry part of the dish, so got a piece of chicken, ( but charged full price for other dish), I found it overdone and tough. Cooked hours ago and kept warm. A funny tasting pepper sauce all over the plate. No one at the table enjoyed the food and as it was a family meal out with relations I did not want to cause a fuss. I ate there before and it was grand, but it's gone down hill now.
    I would have cooked better myself at home is the funny part.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I was in lemonade yesterday with my kid and after 5pm they weren't letting people sit on one side of the restaurant as they had cleaned the tables. A family came in with 2 kids and left because they weren't allowed to sit beside where the toys are. You couldn't have toasted food either because the ovens were off. I really like the food there but thats rediculous. Someone was keen to get home. There are too many top cafes drogheda to think youll survive getting away with crappy service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Cross food is back. Same menu with few extras according to their Facebook page

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

I went for a family meal out in the Black Bull in Drogheda a few weeks ago, the food was pretty bad. We had to wait nearly 2 hours for a mains course to arrive which I got the chicken. Well it was suppose to be chicken supreme , but they were missing the pastry part of the dish, so got a piece of chicken, ( but charged full price for other dish), I found it overdone and tough. Cooked hours ago and kept warm. A funny tasting pepper sauce all over the plate. No one at the table enjoyed the food and as it was a family meal out with relations I did not want to cause a fuss. I ate there before and it was grand, but it's gone down hill now.
    I would have cooked better myself at home is the funny part.

There was a time when we would be thinking of going out for a meal ( which would not be to often) The blackbull would be the place we would go, the last time I was there which is well over a year ago, they had changed things, I think they are trying to go upmarket, I found the food was not great, portions had gotten smaller and prices dearer, I haven't spoken to a few people and they have said the same, people have gone elsewhere, Annie's Cafe, which do evening meals, is very nice and prices are good too, Children under 10 eat free

Not a exactly a restaurant but.. if you have ever wondered why there's always a bunch of cars blocking the road in front of John's Centra in Plattin Road ... well, that's because they do great hot food!

Big deli are, plenty of hot food options - big Sunday roast type food with choice of various side dishes, all served piping hot. Superb setup and predictably very busy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

Not a exactly a restaurant but.. if you have ever wondered why there's always a bunch of cars blocking the road in front of John's Centra in Plattin Road ... well, that's because they do great hot food!

Big deli are, plenty of hot food options - big Sunday roast type food with choice of various side dishes, all served piping hot. Superb setup and predictably very busy!!

McDonnells Centra Hardmans Gardens is another place that has a good selection in their deli, The dinners are very popular and lovely especially on a Sunday, My own parents get it and say it is geogeous and a very good price, and always busy as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Pipmae

I have always wondered but yet I've never been able to find a handy parking space to pull in and pay the shop a visit. Now that I know that I just might.

Tried Annie's on Twigg's Lane for the first time last week. Was very busy, but no messing with them. Both myself & my friend had the exact same thing - soup to start with, Club Sandwich (which also came out with lovely chipper-style chips) & finished off with some ice-cream. Altogether with tea & a mineral each, it was 18.10 each. Food was lovely, staff were very nice. Was a bit loud as there seemed to be a lot of families in it, but it was grand. Would defo go back.

Also of late, we've tried the Golf Club in Baltray. Highly recommend it. We had a lovely meal out there & they were very accommodating to kids. No hassle with them. Lovely food, lovely setting. Will definitely go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭washiskin

Shoe Lover wrote: »
    Also of late, we've tried the Golf Club in Baltray. Highly recommend it. We had a lovely meal out there & they were very accommodating to kids. No hassle with them. Lovely food, lovely setting. Will definitely go back.

Can anyone call in to the club house and order food?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭gipi

Slightly outside Drogheda, but worth an honourable mention. Had dinner in The Spire, Duleek at the weekend.

The building (converted church) is a great space and is tastefully decorated.

We had garlic (flat)bread and garlic mushrooms to start. Both delicious, not too sizeable but enough for a starter.

We had Cod and chips, and Chicken Maryland for mains. Traditional dishes they may be, but they were both very tasty indeed. Partner declared that it was the best Maryland he'd tasted, I couldn't finish my cod (2 large pieces). The chunky chips were gorgeous!

No room for dessert, we'll have to rectify that next time :-)

The restaurant has Guinness on tap, a selection of bottled beers and wines by the glass and bottle. Service was friendly, v professional without being 'in your face'.

I read on their website that they offer deals on Fridays, early bird menu, and Sunday lunch.
    We'll be back!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭gipi

A couple of other takeaway food options that I've used and enjoyed - Gerry's in Bryanstown(several choices each day) and Mell Stores (very traditional - beef, turkey, etc., and cabbage with everything :-) ). Both serve huge portions, you could easily get 2 dinners from one portion!

washiskin wrote: »
    Can anyone call in to the club house and order food?

Yep, you can indeed. The sign over the bar says "Members Only" but you walk through the bar to get to the restaurant. I think they do a set menu for Sunday Lunch that is quite reasonable. We were there at 4.30 so had the A la Carte. Himself reckoned that the Prawn Cocktail was better than Donegans.

• Advertisement

Not the first time going to Aisha's and not my first comment about them either - but wow, the food! We tried both chicken on pepper sauce, and mild chicken curry today and both were amazing - the right amount of spiciness and with that lemony hint. These were easily the best food I've had in Drogheda over the years - it's 100% subjective opinion, but it's true! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Do you have to book a table in Aisha's or can I just go in? I'm really wanting to try it now.

We just walked in off the street for Sunday lunch, and they had Sunday lunch menu as well as full menu to pick from. I think you will have to book ahead for evening dinners.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭KaiserLu

gipi wrote: »
    A couple of other takeaway food options that I've used and enjoyed - Gerry's in Bryanstown(several choices each day) and Mell Stores (very traditional - beef, turkey, etc., and cabbage with everything :-) ). Both serve huge portions, you could easily get 2 dinners from one portion!

Yes, but the service from the checkout girls in Gerry's is enough to put anyone off their food! Rude, unmannerly, even heard them mocking customers at one point!

No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭furiousox

I'm in there 4 or 5 times a week since it opened and never witnessed anything like that.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lurcher108

I'd choose D'vine every time. Food is always excellent quality. Loads of choice. Good vegetarian options too. Very good value and the staff are extremely friendly and helpful. My favourite restaurant in Drogheda by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

furiousox wrote: »
    I'm in there 4 or 5 times a week since it opened and never witnessed anything like that.

I'm there just as often and I have. Mostly the young girls on the tills they don't bother finishing a conversation with each other when starting to serve a customer, they don't look at you or engage with you until they're ready to ask for money. It's infuriating. The other staff are mostly great.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

mejulie805 wrote: »
    I'm there just as often and I have. Mostly the young girls on the tills they don't bother finishing a conversation with each other when starting to serve a customer, they don't look at you or engage with you until they're ready to ask for money. It's infuriating. The other staff are mostly great.

Sounds far better than Dunnes TBH. The women on the tills in Southgate are completely inept at multitasking, they stop and have converstations with each other while your either waiting to be served, or even waiting for your change!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

mejulie805 wrote: »

Sounds far better than Dunnes TBH. The women on the tills in Southgate are completely inept at multitasking, they stop and have conversations with each other while your either waiting to be served, or even waiting for your change!

• Advertisement

Not really a restaurant, but I did a cookery class over the weekend in the East Coast Cookery School in Termonfeckin. It was really good! It was a demo class of Indian cookery. We got prosecco on arrival. Then when everyone was there, we sat up at the counter & she showed us how to make naan breads and onion bhajis which we ate while she made another starter of Tandoor Chicken Pitta Pockets. Then, she made a main course of fish curry, a lentil dahl, spiced cauliflower & potatoes, sticky rice & dessert of roasted pineapple & custard with a peshwari naan. And when all that was ready, we went back to her kitchen table, where they served us the meal (and plenty of vino). It was a really lovely evening. Food was amazing, the demo was really good. 45euro each. Highly recommend!

Advertisement