Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SWTOR: 2 months on, who's still playing

• 20-02-2012 1:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

So, over the last 2 months since TOR launched, it's seen a lot of people getting very disatisfied, and I've noticed the game getting a bit quieter on the inside as well. So who's still around?

If anyone thinks a poll option is missing, please post in thread with it and I'll add it.

Are you still playing TOR? 73 votes

Still playing it, still subbed and still having fun.
    0% 0 votes
    Still playing, but just till my sub runs out.
    68% 50 votes
    Cancelled my sub, but I'll be back in a few months once they fix it.
    10% 8 votes
    Cancelled my sub, not coming back.
    20% 15 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm subbed for another 30-40 odd days, but i've not logged in for a week or two. I enjoyed the game, but it's just not enough. And i'd not necessarily blame TOR, just mmo's in general. They really just don't do anything for me at the moment. Until we get one that does something very different, i'm pretty much done with the genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Still playing, still enjoying it. However, I'm not sure what to do once I have levelled. I have 3 chars on the go right now, and enjoying all 3. But I'm a bit wary of getting too involved in it, as I dont want a re-occurance of my WoW addiction :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

TBH Kiith I think that's a big culprit for player number drop off - TOR is a very samey MMO, and doesn't have the polish of any more established ones that have had time to work out their kinks.

Now that I've hit 50, my time is roughly split between RP, levelling alts, and doing Hardmodes, but I'm only playing once or twice a week now, so I don't need as much content to get me by.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

The servers are defo not populated enough. They could do with merging a few of them, if that is possible.

It gets extremely boring wandering around empty planets and I'm tired of constantly spamming LFG on guild/general chat with no responses!

I haven't even managed to do a raid yet, as each of the ones I have tried joining up in didn't get enough players.

After level 30 its all the same really - kill 25, kill 50, destroy box, kill boss etc.

I hit 50 with a sorceror, and tried to start an alt but got bored.

Already back on BF3!

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Akarinn

Ditch the game.. Its not worth it, mmo's are dead for me now, WoW destroyed that. Everytime i play a new mmo i just go back to thinking , what has this got that WoW doesnt.. So really, as some1 said above..
    Until we get one that does something very different, i'm pretty much done with the genre.

This is soo true.. Get away from mmo's for a couple of years, and hopefully when you/we return things will be different.. Currently im sick of them, and i dont see any reason to continue playing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

Still playing.. only log in to do the pvp daily.. Grinding out the last couple of pvp levels to level 60..

I'll keep the sub up and running, as no other game interests me (not that this does much either).. but they need to do something with ilum fast.. There is absolutely no pvp end game..

Luckily I have a rake of xbox and wii games that need immediate attention :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

like most i guess. nothing new i can tell here, i already said about it other thread.

SWTOR is a SOLID MMORPG, unfortunately this will atract only new to mmorpg people, those who were around the block will just see the same stuff only wraped in SW universe.

its a great game, but mmorpgs ran out of steam for me. i am back to BF3 now.

i dont think i will ever start any more mmorpgs unless those are just pure sex and drops something new to the mmorpgs world. after 5 years of WoW slavery i am enjoying gaming once again! :D

oh yeah, way too much money wasted on mmorpgs which did not took off:

AoC
    warhammer online
    AOIN
    Now SWTOR too...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Have to disagree with you shadowhearth, its far from "a solid mmo" or a "great game"
    Its more like a single player game than an mmo,there just so much wrong with it i really havent time to list lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Cillo rs200

I've still subbed, although I haven't played in around a week and i'll more than likely cancel my sub after this month. I think the stories are great but I just don't have the drive to burn through the very generic side quests. The WOW like clone controls were a major turn off too, I imagined controls a bit like the force unleashed when I seen the first few cinematic trailers....I am hearing good things about teras combat however

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

As big a fan as I am of both MMOs and Star Wars I just can't see myself going back to SWTOR. The sheer amount of flawed game design ranging from the huge amount of instancing, dull gameplay and boring combat are things I can't see Bioware being able to fix with just patches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Still playing and enjoying it. Although we just killed SOA on Nightmare tonight so that means we have all content clear on Nightmare so it could indeed get boring for me simply farming raid content. New patch coming out next month with a new raid so hopefully its decent, but how long will a single raid dungeon tide me over till the next raid? I think im gonna get off the ride when Diablo 3 or Tera is released.

As far as people thinking its a single player game with the amount of instancing in it, i do agree......for leveling. But when your doing endgame the social aspect and grouping really picks up. And yeah it is very much a WOW clone in Star Wars skin, but if you jumped straight over from WOW i can see how you could get jaded fast with SWTOR. I on the other hand havent played an MMO in over 3 years so it feels reasonably fresh for me.

PVP in SWTOR doesnt interest me at all. Actually its terrible.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I got a 6 month sub and I don't regret it. I've been side tracked by other games atm, but am looking forward to getting back into it.

As an aside, I tried playing WoW the other day and thought it was appallingly dull and boring compared to Star Wars, so I guess it's a "generation" thing as to who like what :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I am subscribed until the end of March though I haven't logged in since the end of January.

Just not worth the time at the moment, very plain and monotonous, I have a level 42 Powertech Bounty Hunter.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 November One

Still delightfully hooked on this.

It's been years since I played Wow and while of course I can spot the similarities I can't help but feel this game is a drastic improvement.

While I can understand a few of the complaints aimed at it, I'm failing to grasp the reason for the huge amount of butt hurt on this forum. I was expecting a story driven Star Wars MMO that borrowed it's combat from WoW's formula (if it aint broke don't fix it!), and that's exactly what I got. People that were expecting revolution instead of evolution clearly spent no time following the development of this game.

That being said my highest level character is only 42 so I haven't experienced how great or terrible the end game is, then again I'm enjoying the story-heavy single player style of leveling (with a healthy dose of PvP to break it up) so odds are once I ding 50 if there's a lack of content I'll happily just role a new toon to experience that class's story. The games only out 2 months, it's obviously gonna take time to flesh out the full end game experience.

My primary fear is that so many people played Wow for so long that in their eyes nothing will ever compare to it. Don't get me wrong it was a genre defining game and I doubt any other will reach the dizzying subscription heights it had, but it's now 8 years old and the age is certainly showing. It's time for people to move on. So long as there isn't a mass exodus back to the kung fu panda expansion I'm confident SWTOR will do fine.

Just my €0.02

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Omphin

While I can understand a few of the complaints aimed at it, I'm failing to grasp the reason for the huge amount of butt hurt on this forum. I was expecting a story driven Star Wars MMO that borrowed it's combat from WoW's formula (if it aint broke don't fix it!), and that's exactly what I got. People that were expecting revolution instead of evolution clearly spent no time following the development of this game.

The games only out 2 months, it's obviously gonna take time to flesh out the full end game experience.

My primary fear is that so many people played Wow for so long that in their eyes nothing will ever compare to it. Don't get me wrong it was a genre defining game and I doubt any other will reach the dizzying subscription heights it had, but it's now 8 years old and the age is certainly showing. It's time for people to move on. So long as there isn't a mass exodus back to the kung fu panda expansion I'm confident SWTOR will do fine.

Just my €0.02

I agree. I'm still playing the game and still having fun. There are issues, everyone can see but the amount of qq on these forums over the game amazes me. The game is only out 2 months its needs alot of fixing and it was pushed out prematurely. But for the love of god I will not return to a seven year old WoW just cause its safe. I'll stick with SWTOR cause im patient enough to know things will get fixed and WoW wasnt built in a day.

Till then I'm happy to play alts to see the different stories, play some pvp, experience some of the endgame pve. Unlike WoW theres enough to keep me entertained in SWTOR till they fix alot of the known issues. And im also looking forward to guild wars 2

I assure you very few longterm mmo players were expected anything massively different than whats already available, we were expecting the game to be semi decent.
    Its not even anywhere remotely near a solid mmo, the list of flaws is literally endless.
    It is an absolute disaster as far as im concerned,they got practically everything wrong, its actually shocking just how wrong they got it.
    The issues are so deep rooted i seriously doubt patching can fix it.
    After 3 weeks solid playtime i predicted this game would be the single biggest failed mmo in many a year with a massive drop off in players, ive yet to see anything to suggest i could be wrong.
    Id go so far as to say the idea of this been labelled an mmo is bordering on farsical.

Dcully wrote: »
    I assure you very few longterm mmo players were expected anything massively different than whats already available, we were expecting the game to be semi decent.
    Its not even anywhere remotely near a solid mmo, the list of flaws is literally endless.
    It is an absolute disaster as far as im concerned,they got practically everything wrong, its actually shocking just how wrong they got it.
    The issues are so deep rooted i seriously doubt patching can fix it.
    After 3 weeks solid playtime i predicted this game would be the single biggest failed mmo in many a year with a massive drop off in players, ive yet to see anything to suggest i could be wrong.
    Id go so far as to say the idea of this been labelled an mmo is bordering on farsical.

Waaaaaay over QQed with this.

It had its flows, but it did good few things that really made it better then any major mmorpg out there.

I wount list them too, you know... It's just good game...

It's old type mmorpg, but it's not the worst version of it. It really does not deserve the treading of poo on your shoe.

I would recomend it to anyone who is new to mmorpg, but I would not recomend to anyone who played mmorpgs in the past amd of they are looking for something new.

Waaaaaay over QQed with this.

It had its flows, but it did good few things that really made it better then any major mmorpg out there.

I wount list them too, you know... It's just good game...

It's old type mmorpg, but it's not the worst version of it. It really does not deserve the treading of poo on your shoe.

I would recomend it to anyone who is new to mmorpg, but I would not recomend to anyone who played mmorpgs in the past amd of they are looking for something new.

While i respect everyones opinions i just cannot disagree more.
    Opinion is one thing but "better than any major mmo out there" - Are you for real? :eek:

Dcully wrote: »
    While i respect everyones opinions i just cannot disagree more.
    Opinion is one thing but "better than any major mmo out there" - Are you for real? :eek:

if my friend would ask: " listen, i want to start some mmorpg, which one could you recomend? "

my answer would be: SWTOR ( and i played wow for 5 years and **** loads of other mmorpgs )

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Eoin247

Still subbed and playing it, but not very often tbh. Having fun but not "Great" fun

• Advertisement

if my friend would ask: " listen, i want to start some mmorpg, which one could you recomend? "

my answer would be: SWTOR ( and i played wow for 5 years and **** loads of other mmorpgs )

You would recommend a bug ridden game missing major features for a modern MMO, that requires a pretty powerful PC to run on very dated looking graphic settings over WoW?

The same WoW that has at least 20 times the amount of content, is polished as hell, runs perfectly on very old PC's and is what every other game is measured against?

Not to mention your "friend" would be paying the same price for both!

Did your "friend" kill your dog, sleep with your wife or burn your house down? I would hate to see what you would recommend to people you dislike lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,489 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Dcully, I have seen your posts about SWTOR over the past few weeks and they seem like a complete and utter overreaction.

I'm not gonna try dig up the specific post, but right around the time I had gotten my character to lvl 30, you complained the game was boring because you had (IIRC) gotten to 50 and has a few 20s by that time. While I don't aim to blitz characters to level cap asap, I certainly don't slack when it comes to leveling and had been putting in a fair few hours between my evenings and days off into the game. To hear that you had gotten to 50 with one character and 20+ with "a few others" while I was only 30ish was rather shocking to me and indicative that you perhaps put way too much into a game in its opening weeks.

I'm not trying to attack you here, but I think you need to put how you approached the game into perspective here.

Dcully, I have seen your posts about SWTOR over the past few weeks and they seem like a complete and utter overreaction.

I'm not gonna try dig up the specific post, but right around the time I had gotten my character to lvl 30, you complained the game was boring because you had (IIRC) gotten to 50 and has a few 20s by that time. While I don't aim to blitz characters to level cap asap, I certainly don't slack when it comes to leveling and had been putting in a fair few hours between my evenings and days off into the game. To hear that you had gotten to 50 with one character and 20+ with "a few others" while I was only 30ish was rather shocking to me and indicative that you perhaps put way too much into a game in its opening weeks.

I'm not trying to attack you here, but I think you need to put how you approached the game into perspective here.

Its better to play smart than hard :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Virginiaq

I got SWTOR for my son ,checked that the game would work on my laptop first before I bought it and all looked good.But when I went to install the game it said I needed to download "Game Client" which I started doing.But Game Client is 27 GB and I ony have a limit of 15 Gb a month so I ended up going way over my limit and it is still not finished and its costed me alot of money. Anyone able to help me sort this problem out

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Virginiaq wrote: »
    I got SWTOR for my son ,checked that the game would work on my laptop first before I bought it and all looked good.But when I went to install the game it said I needed to download "Game Client" which I started doing.But Game Client is 27 GB and I ony have a limit of 15 Gb a month so I ended up going way over my limit and it is still not finished and its costed me alot of money. Anyone able to help me sort this problem out
    You knew your limit, you knew you were going over it, exactly what do you need help sorting out?

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Lister1

Have purchased it but not played it yet due to studying for exams. I am actually glad as it will give them time to fix any minor issues which seem to occur with the release with all mmos.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Dubhthamlacht

I'm still playing and still really enjoying it, despite it's flaws. I avoided the long queues at the start by not preordering or getting the game first day of release. Instead I waited until end of December. So when I did start, there were not queues at all, and I avoided a lot of fustration. For sure, the game needs refining and without doubt, it was rushed to release too early. But, it is still a fine game. I've only got my character to 35 so far, but so far the game has met my expectations. I wanted a story driven leveling experience where I can group with other players and that is what I got. I'm not at end game yet but from reading forums and game guides it seems to be the type of end game I am looking for.

Seems like a lot of folks are burned out from MMO's and spolied by how good WoW was, and how it currently is and that may have diminished their enjoyment of this game. I've no doubt SWTOR will be an extremely polished game in a few months time and I'm looking forward to it.

So my opinion is "a complete and utter overreaction" is it ? how so?
    I expressed my opinion, you dont have to agree with it.

When i but i new mmo yes i spend as much time as i can to see if i want to keep subbed after the initial 30 days free as do most mmo players.
    I level fast in mmos,its not exactly difficult especially if you skip the cutscenes which i did after about lvl 30 or so it was a snoozefest to sit through them.
    Im more interested in combat,class mechanics and how the game plays as opposed to a story.
    Anyways i got a BH healer to lvl 50 an IA healer to 30 and a SS to lvl 22.
    I fail to see how you find that shocking expecially considering the game was released just intime for the holiday season.
    There was people on boards got to lvl 50 long before i did and complaining about nothing to do.
    I find it rich of you to have a go at someone over their opinion of a game, "a complete and utter overreaction" as you put it could well describe your post mate unless ofcourse your a blinkered fanboy :P
    I think you need to put how you approached the game into perspective here.

This i agree with, if i had little experience with an mmo id possibly love the game,im merely forming my opinion on the way i see it from my perspective which is what this thread is about isnt it :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Seems like a lot of folks are burned out from MMO's and spolied by how good WoW was, and how it currently is and that may have diminished their enjoyment of this game. I've no doubt SWTOR will be an extremely polished game in a few months time and I'm looking forward to it.
    I don't understand this argument honestly. "Well it's not as good as WoW, yea, it's missing key features, yea there're gaming breaking bugs but don't compare it to what's on the market and look at it in a vacuum and you'll see it's a good game!"

Honestly, no, you compare it to what's available now including all the content available in other MMOs. Everquest had a similar lead on WoW when WoW came out (EQ was on it's 7th expansion or something like that). WoW was simply better with LESS content hands down no questions asked; so why can't SWTOR do the same to WoW?

Also keep in mind no MMO has ever managed to grow after release (with exception of Eve); a poor launch means poor long term subscription numbers because you only get one chance to pull people in (in general) before the later new games come along (see AOC, WHO, the new FF game I can't remember the number on, EQ2 etc.).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

I'm still playing and I'm still very much enjoying. I'm pretty sure I haven't sunk as much time into it as some people here, nor been playing it as long which is probably why I don't feel as cheated or hard done by.

I think it's a great game with great stories and I think it's suited to a player like myself; someone who doesn't have the time to dedicate to lvling multiple chars to 50, basically someone who can spend a couple of hours of an eve a couple of times a week. I'm still subbed and will remain so for the next few months at least.

Advertisement