Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garda Recruitment- The Waiting to Apply Room

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Hitchroun

carzony wrote: »
    i'm certain there is better qualified people out there than a lot of the reserves.. As an earlier poster said they only dedicate 4 hours a week.. and from a report i read here a few months ago a lot of them aint even given that much time..

While that could be true in some cases, in others, the opposite could also be true. Currently I would argue that experience with GR would be one of the best moves to make if someone wished to increase their chances. I mean the only thing that I could see trumping GR experience would be actual full-time experience in other security/policing roles.

I'm sure a competent GR member could get some very nice references from full-time members also... there are not many other situations that provides that sort of social networking with full-time members.

That isn't to say you should end your 2 year stint with the civil defence or RDF, I would just make the point that I believe the Garda Reserve would be the best option amongst "part-time interests" so to peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Hitchroun wrote: »
    While that could be true in some cases, in others, the opposite could also be true. Currently I would argue that experience with GR would be one of the best moves to make if someone wished to increase their chances. I mean the only thing that I could see trumping GR experience would be actual full-time experience in other security/policing roles.

I'm sure a competent GR member could get some very nice references from full-time members also... there are not many other situations that provides that sort of social networking with full-time members.

That isn't to say you should end your 2 year stint with the civil defence or RDF, I would just make the point that I believe the Garda Reserve would be the best option amongst "part-time interests" so to peak.

I'd actually disagree with that. In the civil defence your sent on many courses and there all certified like advanced first aid. Driving, rescue techniques.you also incharge of units which really proves leader ship skills. Plus all the concerts ect.. you attend along side gardai. Being honest I think that'll look just as good on the application form.

• Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

If the aptitude goes well;);)

i'm certain there is better qualified people out there than a lot of the reserves.. As an earlier poster said they only dedicate 4 hours a week.. and from a report i read here a few months ago a lot of them aint even given that much time..[/Q

TE]
    Dont know of any official report that was posted on this or Amy other forum
    There are 25 percent who contribute less than 8 hours per month the remainder are contributing in excess of this and some like myself doing 20 to 30 hours per week

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Shady Tady

Raider190 wrote: »
    Imagine how impressed they would be given all the above and you still found the time to work with regular as a reseve..........they would be giving your application some serious consideration

If you were a bar of chocolate you'd eat yourself!

Shady Tady wrote: »
    If you were a bar of chocolate you'd eat yourself!

When you have been on this forum for more than a month and you have a valuable contribution please feel free to make it until then. We need sensible comments not stupid commemts

• Advertisement

In fairness I spend more than 4 hours a week on the toilet, I probaly also deal with more sh1t

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

When you apply, do you just wait to be contacted for the online aptitude and the other one at Chapter House?

In fairness I spend more than 4 hours a week on the toilet, I probaly also deal with more sh1t

And this is the quality of this posters contributions. Please go away we certainly dont need your type here

I'd actually disagree with that. In the civil defence your sent on many courses and there all certified like advanced first aid. Driving, rescue techniques.you also incharge of units which really proves leader ship skills. Plus all the concerts ect.. you attend along side gardai. Being honest I think that'll look just as good on the application form.

I see your point as they both have very similar aspects, but in saying that the GR do the actual job. Any activity you do during your time in the GR, you would have also done as a full-time member. I'm not sure if this can be said of the Civil Defence. While I'm sure the AGS have worked with the Civil Defence at times, it wouldn't be a daily occurance. While a member of the GR would be performing the duties that full-time AGS members do on the daily basis, a member of Civil Defense would not.

I would say as well though that it would depend on the interview panel of the day. I mean they could be in line with your thinking or mine, as I'm sure there isn't a "tier" system with points and what not for the various part-time organisations.

BUT, I still say that the GR provides the best platform for references. I doubt you could beat the opportunity to attain a reference from a full-time AGS member that you've actually worked with in performing daily duties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

That had me in stitches mate.

• Advertisement

And this is the quality of this posters contributions. Please go away we certainly dont need your type here

I think I might just apply myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

It's weird how this thread descends into chaos at every mention at Garda recruitment.

The 2010/11 rumours resulted in Panel Members vs. Everyone else.

This drive resulted in Reserves vs. Everyone else.

Why can't you have some solidarity instead of the petty 'I'm more qualified than you...' bickering that goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

Not everyone can join the reserves so stop beating on about 'oh I bothered to do something to improve my chances' and 'there is no reason not to join the reserves'. I cannot because I work in the security industry and to be honest if I could join I would. But I am hardly expected to leave my job to join a voluntary position with no other possibility of employment in this economy. Join the reserve and the dole que aswell, I don't thinks so. There is genuine reasons for not joining, this must be the 4th time iv said this because every time a debate comes up the same flutes come out with all this tripe about joining the reserves and how the will look so great because they went and did it an others didn't bother!

3. ​Recruitment of reserve trainees - restrictions on admission to training.
    (1)​Notwithstanding that the requirements of Regulation 4 are met, a person may not be recruited for admission as a reserve trainee if the person-
    (a)​holds a designated certificate, licence or permit, (which is issued by the District Court, Circuit Court, Garda Siochana or Revenue Commissioners and that involves gain to the holder, including any such certificate, licence or permit issued pursuant to – (i) the Licensing Acts 1833 to 2004, (ii) the Betting Acts 1931 and 1994, or (iii) any laws regulating places of public entertainment),
    (b)​is a member of the Defence Forces,
    (c)​is an officer of court,
    (d)​is an officer of the probation and welfare service,
    (e)​is a bailiff,
    (f)​is a prison officer,
    (g)​is a practising barrister or a practising solicitor,
    (h)​for reward or personal gain, manages or conducts, or assists in the management or conducting of, a concern or premises which is required by law to be operated under a licence, permit or certificate, the grant of which may be opposed by the Garda Síochána,
    (i)​provides a security service within the meaning of the Private Security Services Act 2004,
    (j)​serves summonses as a spare time activity, or
    (k)​is employed in any occupation or holds any appointment or position which, in the opinion of the Garda Commissioner, may cause a conflict of interest with the proper discharge of the duties of a reserve member.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭thestar

Somehow I would doubt they would find out that you did security work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

i have the license and it would have to be fore fitted before training. believe me i have inquired, i would hardly lie and say that i don't have it.

That is true, no liar ever joined An Garda Siochana ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

thestar wrote: »
    Somehow I would doubt they would find out that you did security work?

seriously?!

your a gas man altogether!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

So if a candidate is smart holds a degree a masters degree and say 4. Years Garda reserve experience and spent the last two years designing hr related aptitude testing systems then the chances of success are good

It's all for nothing when you are a dickhead!

insulting and abusive

conduct unbecoming

i shake my head

tch tch tch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Faith and Justice

Ok so there are 1,200 reserves roughly. Let's just say on 1,000 are eligible to apply, and 30,000 in total apply.

It's now 29,000 non reservists versus 1,000 reserves.

Let's just say there are 300 jobs. This means that everybody has one in a hundred chance! Or 0.01% chance.

The reserves are far out numbered, and if they are treated the same as the rest of the applicants, then 3.3% of the Garda starting in as Garda trainees will be current reserves.

Do the maths lads!

If the reserves do get some advantage it can only be in the interview stage, and how many will be left then? How many will fail?

If they're lucky I'd say only 10% will be current reserves, which will be 30 people!

No way would I believe anything that shatter says about reserves having an advantage. It's all just political swindle to justify reserves.

As I said there are plenty of excellent candidates out there from all walks of life. Security men, bouncers, army, navy, firemen, civil defence, order of Malta, prison officers, PSNI etc.

Everybody wants to be a Garda. So many people in other public service jobs want a career change. The same goes for the private sector.

I don't want to get into the reserves vs the rest discussion because the maths speak for itself.

The arrogance on this thread from some people is embarrassing. You cannot come on this site trying to impress us and say how good you are. I don't care, and I doubt many others do. It's the interview stage where you do this!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

This means that everybody has one in a hundred chance!

Lets put it another way.

There are about 40 people who post on this thread. 30 or so have applied.

Chances are NONE of them will get in and no amount of preparation or reserve work is going to change that.

Sorry lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭mfergus

Let's just say there are 300 jobs. This means that everybody has one in a hundred chance! Or 0.01% chance.

Do the maths lads!

I hate being the one breaking the news, but 1 out of 100 is not 0.01%

However, I do agree with everything else you have said!

Chances are NONE of them will get in and no amount of preparation or reserve work is going to change that.

its a harsh reality :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Faith and Justice

mfergus wrote: »
    I hate being the one breaking the news, but 1 out of 100 is not 0.01%

However, I do agree with everything else you have said!

It's the harsh reality for us all. That's why there should be an end to the stupid debate of reserves vs the rest, because there are no advantages for anybody. We're all equal in this campaign

Scouser wrote: »
    seriously?!

your a gas man altogether!

This is not MI5 were talking about, id let them tell you that you work in security instead of you telling them. Remember what your mother says, 'The truth gets you nowhere'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

All this reminds me of the old saying "Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are an idiot than to open it and remove all doubt whatsoever"

Some people will get in because they have served as Reserves and other wont have a hope of getting in because they have served as Reserves. In other words their performance as Reserve has shown them to be plonkers.

thestar wrote: »
    This is not MI5 were talking about, id let them tell you that you work in security instead of you telling them. Remember what your mother says, 'The truth gets you nowhere'.

failure to disclose correct information..........

knowingly omitting information for the purpose of fraud.......

It's the harsh reality for us all. That's why there should be an end to the stupid debate of reserves vs the rest, because there are no advantages for anybody. We're all equal in this campaign

Its not a debate of reserves vs the rest. Its just a discussion of what options each person has available to improve their chances of getting in. Past the analytical testing stage no one is equal. Even at the analytical stage there are some steps that can be taken such as repetition and research into what methods are available to efficiently solve questions.

There are plenty of advantages to be made available of. Natural ability (personality+common sense), experience/skills and preperation will be the difference between getting in and not.

This is a competition, not a lottery.

This poster pretends to be a member of AGS and makes comments like this. You are a disgrace

• Advertisement

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    All this reminds me of the old saying "Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are an idiot than to open it and remove all doubt whatsoever"

Some people will get in because they have served as Reserves and other wont have a hope of getting in because they have served as Reserves. In other words their performance as Reserve has shown them to be plonkers.

From a poster who knows nothing about AGS or the reserve and has no interest in applying, just a troller

Advertisement