Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Interesting Stuff Thread

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Former principal of private catholic school who refused entry to a pregnant girl because there "must be standards of morality in every school", seems to have suffered a set back in his own morality after he was found to be a tax fraud.
    His 705,619 euro bill includes 346,059 euro in unpaid taxes, plus 100,016 euro interest and 259,544 euro in fines.

Scumbag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Bahahahahahahahaa!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Quatermain

No freaking way. Karma does exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

How much would you need to have in a deposit account for the tax on the interest to be €346,000?
    And where did he collect that from, seeing as his school is not a fee paying one? Very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,832 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

muppeteer wrote: »
    Your bullets won't penetrate my Coptic APC!!!

Fetch the Holy Hand Grenade!

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

ninja900 wrote: »
    Fetch the Holy Hand Grenade!
    Right you are sir!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Calibos wrote: »
    Sure we've been doing that in the West for a Millenia!!

:D

[Cough] :cool: [/cough]

• Registered Users Posts: 33,832 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Calibos wrote: »
    [Cough] :cool: [/cough]

Well, that's what I get for browsing the web with javascript and plugins turned off like a paranoid mofo rationally cautious sceptic who doesn't assume random 3rd-party code is safe.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Former principal of private catholic school who refused entry to a pregnant girl because there "must be standards of morality in every school", seems to have suffered a set back in his own morality after he was found to be a tax fraud.

Scumbag.

Here he is:
    College%203%20600.jpg
    From this site.

He looks the part alright. A real creep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Something about him screams "geezer".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Here he is again on the right. You'd have thought in the days when he had €700,000 euro belonging to the state that he could have afforded a decent tie, and known how to tie it!

221209.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭sephir0th

OK this seems out of place now, but I was reading a few pages back :)

rage+comic+math+transformation.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

From todays Irish Times.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0919/breaking16.html
    A Harvard University professor has unveiled a fourth century fragment of papyrus she said is the only existing ancient text quoting Jesus explicitly referring to having a wife.
    Karen King, an expert in the history of Christianity, said the text contains a dialogue in which Jesus refers to “my wife”, whom he identifies as Mary. Ms King said the fragment of Coptic script is a copy of a gospel, probably written in Greek in the second century.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

© Dan Brown!

More on that:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19645273
    BBC wrote:
    Jim West, a professor and Baptist pastor in Tennessee, said: "A statement on a papyrus fragment isn't proof of anything. It's nothing more than a statement 'in thin air', without substantial context."
    Zing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

The irony is delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Wasn't sure whether to put it here or in the funnys.

Wolf-Peter Funk, a noted Coptic linguist attending the same conference as Ms King, said there were "thousands of scraps of papyrus where you find crazy things,"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Wolf-Peter Funk, a noted Coptic linguist attending the same conference as Ms King, said there were "thousands of scraps of papyrus where you find crazy things,"

Yeah, not unlike the bible.

The winner's been announced for the UK's Astronomy Photographer of the Year 2012:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-19637073

Wouldn't mind getting that last one blown up to bathroom-ceiling size... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,363 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Coolest name ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

robindch wrote: »
    The winner's been announced for the UK's Astronomy Photographer of the Year 2012:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-19637073

Wouldn't mind getting that last one blown up to bathroom-ceiling size... :)

Breathtaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Coolest name ever.

Certainly beats this one.

simpsons-max-power-754880.jpg

"I got it from a hair dryer." Homer J Simpson

I also like, Windy Shepherd Henderson. (Father Ted) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,489 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

If anybody would like to to torture themselves by watching a badly made american creationist science film, I highly recommend watching The Genesis Code.

I saw it in the place where I 'acquire' my movies and saw it got 70% on rottentomatoes, so thought "it can't be that bad". Oh, how wrong was I. I do enjoy movies that are so crap they are entertaining, but it is rare that I watch a movie as far as the 45 min mark and have to switch it off. I went ahead and looked at the reviews on IMDB and it is interesting to see the unbiased reviews (1/10) against the friends/family of those involved (10/10 all around).

Portland, Oregon, with a population of around 600,000 people, was the last major city in the USA to hold out against fluoridation of the city's water supply. Here's the Democratic mayor's thoughtful and measured statement announcing the introduction of fluoridation:

http://www.portlandonline.com/mayor/index.cfm?c=49522&a=410028

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

^^ Freakin' hipsters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

robindch wrote: »
    Portland, Oregon, with a population of around 600,000 people, was the last major city in the USA to hold out against fluoridation of the city's water supply. Here's the Democratic mayor's thoughtful and measured statement announcing the introduction of fluoridation:

http://www.portlandonline.com/mayor/index.cfm?c=49522&a=410028

I was convinced or at least cured of conspiracy by this vid.

He may be the squarest fecker alive but he does great critical thinking videos.

Hubble astronomers have spent 23 days of camera time creating an extreme deep-field view:

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2012/09/25/revealing-the-universe-the-hubble-extreme-deep-field/

Very cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

So lads and ladies, let's face it, the self portrait of our own workspaces is never going to be as awesome as this.
    (Bet the fecker is pulling a duckface pose too.)

ImgofDay_1256.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I have interesting mould on my office wall that looks quite pretty in a certain light....:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

http://www.astronomynow.com/news/n1209/25comet/#.UGMQXQyVuJI.facebook

A new comet has been discovered that is predicted to blaze incredibly brilliantly in the skies during late 2013. With a perihelion passage of less than two million kilometres from the Sun on 28 November 2013, current predictions are of an object that will dazzle the eye at up to magnitude —16. That's far brighter than the full Moon.

That's going to be ****ing awesome! :)

Advertisement