Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

ncur wrote: »
    Sorry Kovu. Have relatives who have a similar laissez faire attitude to pets, I can never understand why they got them in the first place. Congrats about college, hopefully we'll still get Kovu cat updates :)

Yea I had to wait five years to reapply and I'm now a 'mature' (hahahaha) student. Kovu will be staying on the farm with Squeak however. He was born in Dublin but he's become a country cat.

He's still an angry lampshade however! We've progressed to letting him outside in the garden with Squeak. She won't leave his side and she's easily found so we always know where he is. He also has supervised grooming and eating with the collar off. So not totally restricted.

He did manage to clear the whole mantelpiece in one run yesterday :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Oh that's awful aonb, having to wait that long for an appointment is a nightmare. Especially when you are in pain. Thankfully he's an appointment when he comes back.
    Have a fab holiday!
    I'm heading shortly to put the mutts in kennels, my god it's expensive but at least I know they're being minded properly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

Henry has landed.

z9dU3jrl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,412 ✭✭✭✭Alun

reallyrose wrote: »
    Henry has landed.
    Awwww, he's gorgeous!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

My dog has a favourite toy, a squeaky dinosaur plushie that he sleeps beside and plays with every evening. It's starting to look a little worse for wear; it has some tears and the stuffing is starting to spill out.

My plan is to sew up the patches this weekend (which would be some laugh in itself!) but a friend suggested we just buy him a new one. Am I mad for thinking this is a terrible idea? Like, it's his favourite! It has a familiar look and smell! I know when I was a kid, if my favourite toy had been replaced by a new version, I'd notice straightaway and it just wouldn't be the same. Is it a bit precious of me to assume the dog would feel the same way? :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭ncur

Henry has landed.

How's he coping? He looks like an inquisitive little thing, with his question mark tail!

jokettle wrote: »
    My dog has a favourite toy, a squeaky dinosaur plushie that he sleeps beside and plays with every evening. It's starting to look a little worse for wear; it has some tears and the stuffing is starting to spill out.

My plan is to sew up the patches this weekend (which would be some laugh in itself!) but a friend suggested we just buy him a new one. Am I mad for thinking this is a terrible idea? Like, it's his favourite! It has a familiar look and smell! I know when I was a kid, if my favourite toy had been replaced by a new version, I'd notice straightaway and it just wouldn't be the same. Is it a bit precious of me to assume the dog would feel the same way? :o

I'd fix it. They can tell the different between Their Toy and some other thing.

I actually don't know for certain, but I think I would err on the side of caution and stick with your original plan. Repair the toy seems best. Perhaps though, with an eye to the future, buy a duplicate and keep it in the basket/bed so that when the old one is past the point of no return, you had a ready made broken in (as such) replacement?

ncur wrote: »
    How's he coping? He looks like an inquisitive little thing, with his question mark tail!

I'm in work, my boyfriend was on Henry-picking-up duty.

He's doing well. He had a play
    4BQvBAtl.jpg

and I'm informed he's settling down for a nap now.

Swanson is all "excuse me?" outside the door.

VND45rhl.jpg

I'm in work, my boyfriend was on Henry-picking-up duty.

He's doing well. He had a play
    and I'm informed he's settling down for a nap now.
    Swanson is all "excuse me?" outside the door.

I hope Henry and Swanson get on! Henry appears to be oblivious of Swanson but Swanson knows there's something going on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Reallyrose, he knows damn well there's another kitty there, he's just playing it cool to lull you into a false sense of security!

Seriously, I hope he brings you many happy years, he likes to lick you, and his naps are pretty short normally.
    I'm delighted he's gone to a good home.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,016 ✭✭✭✭tk123

we usually fix/wash a few times and once it's beyond the stage that we can fix it again replace. Bailey's had a new ikea football pretty much every year and he loves them as much as the last. Last year I got one that honks and he really loves it so I bought another one on eBay 2 weeks ago lol!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Does anyone know how to contact Amazon, I can't find any way of contacting them on the site. My order was dispatched yesterday (Thursday) but my credit card has not been charged. Maybe it's free :pac:

Does anyone know how to contact Amazon, I can't find any way of contacting them on the site. My order was dispatched yesterday (Thursday) but my credit card has not been charged. Maybe it's free :pac:

Had to go through the Help section, Contact Us and a variety of drop down menu selections that didn't bring me straight into FAQ's in order to get to a message box to email them about something only yesterday! The email address that the customer service agent used to get in contact with me was cs-reply@amazon.co.uk if that's any help to you?

There's also an option to ask for a call back, you put in your number and your phone rings almost instantly, they are very nice to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

One more week with boarding dogs and then it's maternity leave! I'm 8 months pregnant at this stage so well and truly waddling. To further wear me down our building work has reached the horrible stage of the extension being ready for the new kitchen - which should be fitted next week - but our existing kitchen got ripped out on Thursday as new concrete floors were being poured in the hall and old kitchen on Friday. Luckily we've a motorhome so the teeny tiny kitchen in it is being put to good use, and at least we've somewhere to sit and eat and have a cuppa. But it's exhausting trying to manage the dogs, the building work, and kitchen stuff everywhere. I'm hoping when the baby arrives it'll be a doddle compared to this!

Henry and Swanson are coming to terms with each other.
    Well, Swanson is trying to assert dominance and be very strict but Henry want to lick things and run around at 200 miles an hour.
    Theyll figure it out.

Henry is bananas. I've never seen him sit still for longer than 10 seconds. He only slows down to lick things.

:D

That's pretty much normal for Henry, he loves to run. I'm glad he's being licky, he was very bitey at times, we remembered the date we found him, it was 1.45am on 23rd may, he was about 3 weeks old, (going by his eyes starting to change colour 3 weeks after that) so his birthday is early May.

Ruby is back, she came home a few mins before I left with Henry yesterday. Very hungry again, definitely getting locked in somewhere, you think she'd learn.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I was going to wait till Monday and try looking again, but my card has been charged now so no need.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

One more week with boarding dogs and then it's maternity leave! I'm 8 months pregnant at this stage so well and truly waddling. To further wear me down our building work has reached the horrible stage of the extension being ready for the new kitchen - which should be fitted next week - but our existing kitchen got ripped out on Thursday as new concrete floors were being poured in the hall and old kitchen on Friday. Luckily we've a motorhome so the teeny tiny kitchen in it is being put to good use, and at least we've somewhere to sit and eat and have a cuppa. But it's exhausting trying to manage the dogs, the building work, and kitchen stuff everywhere. I'm hoping when the baby arrives it'll be a doddle compared to this!

All I can say is you have been blessed with an erratic not-so-great summer! Last year I spent my last month of pregnancy sitting in a sweaty heap crying and moaning about life it was so bloody hot!

Then I blinked and saw her grandad showing her how to mix sand with water as she was standing at her new play table. Scary.

• Advertisement

I'm hoping when the baby arrives it'll be a doddle compared to this!

It's just like having a new born puppy around, but it takes longer to grow up!
    Yet somehow feels so fast.

My baby is learning to drive now, it feels like yesterday she was a baby, sitting on the floor, surrounded by pillows, trying not to fall over. Enjoy it, every minute, even when you want to murder someone.

The building work is more stressful, rope in some family/friends for a big clean up, and put your feet up!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Even though the building work is stressful, the builders have been brilliant, work will be finished before baby arrives and they have been incredibly neat and tidy and adore the dogs too :). It's only this week where things have been a bit hectic, plus the fact that I'm getting less mobile and am more tired than I think I've ever been! The lack of sleep has been great practice for when baby actually arrives!

Well I was told off earlier in the park because of my audacity to say that a dog can still get kennel cough even if they have the vaccination! :rolleyes: SIGH I had mentioned in passing that I had to make an appointment for Lucy at some stage this week for her check up and lepto shot and that I wouldn't be getting KC as it's a waste of time.

Anyways a funny thing happened yesterday :P I had the dogs out in a deserted Santry park. Just off the path - so not in the woods anything - Lucy stops to rustle in some long grass and next there's whoosh sound followed by the squawks of of a huge pheasant!! She was delighted with herself lol!

My daughter came home Friday evening after being away for 2 weeks, animals have been all over her (and me if they can't all sit on her) and Ruby even hung around the house instead of disappearing for the day as she usually does.

At least now daughter can walk dogs and I can rest my foot!

Any advice for getting ear mats out when concerning a dog that barely lets you brush him with a glove? :o I haven't tried scissors yet as he is quite standoffish about them, although he will let me massage them with my fingers?

Could you try having two people pet him at the same time and then one tackles the mats while the other keeps petting? We did that to Bailey last week for stickybacks lol!!

tk123 wrote: »
    Could you try having two people pet him at the same time and then one tackles the mats while the other keeps petting? We did that to Bailey last week for stickybacks lol!!

I might have to double-team him when my OH gets home! I hate leaving them like that, just went out and rubbed at them and as soon as he saw the scissors his teeth locked onto them (no growling) and I figured since I need my hands to look after my child, I better let him away with it for now :p
    Gone are the days when Shadow would simply lie down and grumble through grooming!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Well, puppy seems to have had a growth spurt during the night and he's started to eat like a horse. Couldn't put his harness on, had to adjust it as it was an inch or two too small. The heck.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

VonVix wrote: »
    Well, puppy seems to have had a growth spurt during the night and he's started to eat like a horse. Couldn't put his harness on, had to adjust it as it was an inch or two too small. The heck.

Thats normally - tomorrow he'll look like a skeleton and all the do-gooders will point out he's too skinny! :rolleyes::pac:

• Advertisement

Spent €200 on cat stuff on Zooplus last night. :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement