Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Catastrophe (C4)

• 20-01-2015 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭

New comedy written by and starring Sharon Horgan and Rob Delaney premiered tonight on Channel 4.

Trailer below but it's quite spoiler-filled so maybe give it a go without watching it.

What are people's thoughts? I thought the first episode was pretty good and I'm looking forward to more episodes.

It's on 4od here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I thought it was very, very funny.
    Didn't take long to get stuck in!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I thought it was great. Funny and a bit heart warming in parts. Both Rob Delaney and Sharon Horgan were brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Seeing at this got a lot of positive reviews I thought I'd check it out.
    However Horgan's character is so thoroughly unlikeable that I'm out. I guess I'm in the minority though. Oh well....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,223 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Has the second one been on yet? Watched the first episode and I was impressed

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Quick synopsis with no spoilers?
    I love Sharon Horgan so have high hopes for this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Quick synopsis with no spoilers?
    I love Sharon Horgan so have high hopes for this

An American guy and an Irish woman have a one night stand. She becomes pregnant, they try to figure out what to do.

Found it pretty good - they're both great writers so I'd expect it to be sharp.

Cienciano wrote: »
    Has the second one been on yet? Watched the first episode and I was impressed

It's a Monday night show I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    An American guy and an Irish woman have a one night stand. She becomes pregnant, they try to figure out what to do.

Found it pretty good - they're both great writers so I'd expect it to be sharp.

Is this the script she had in development with HBO I wonder?

evilivor wrote: »

I never heard any details about that one so don't know.

Someone like her would have multiple projects in development at the same time I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

evilivor wrote: »

Nope, that's a different show with Sarah Jessica Parker, about divorcees I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭_Jumper_

part 2 tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭delboy85

I really enjoyed the first episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,944 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Must catch up on episode 1 before tonight, looks good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ElNino

I was very impressed by the first episode. Sharon is the sister of the ex-rugby player Shane Horgan for anyone who doesn't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭ogruairi

Really enjoyed the first episode. The man in it, played by Rob Delaney - is probably the funniest man on Twitter and is well worth a follow (@RobDelaney). Tweets a good bit about this show too.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Must catch up on episode 1 before tonight, looks good

Yup, first Ep was brill.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭gucci

ElNino wrote: »
    I was very impressed by the first episode. Sharon is the sister of the ex-rugby player Shane Horgan for anyone who doesn't know.

Well I was in the "doesn't know" category until you said that!!
    Really enjoyed the first episode, was funny without trying too hard. Hopefully it keeps it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

gucci wrote: »
    Well I was in the "doesn't know" category until you said that!!
    Really enjoyed the first episode, was funny without trying too hard. Hopefully it keeps it up!
    I'm optimistic that it will.

They're both strong writers (Delaney is indeed the funniest man on twitter) and Channel4 seems to know what it's doing when it comes to comedy in terms of being quite hands-off.

Great second episode last night. I'm really enjoying this so far. One thing I like about it is how well-established it seems already, very comfortable with itself.

Here's a nice review from the Guardian.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭gucci

Yes another good showing last night. As i said i think it works well without trying too hard, which i guess is similar to what the article is saying!! The peripheral characterss are good contributors too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Yep, the brother was pretty funny.

"May I get you a glass of wine"
    "No, you may not"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Yep, the brother was pretty funny.

"May I get you a glass of wine"
    "No, you may not"

Yeh loved the bit of irish gallows humour over her possible cancer

"Don't tell mom and dad"
    "god no , that would kill them both"
    "one funeral at a time *wink*"

Also loved her Cnuty mates husbands description of child birth from the first episode.

"You know they **** when they give birth"
    "I've heard that"
    "well I've seen it"
    "I wouldn't want that for you"
    "You'll never be able to forgive her"
    "forgive her??"
    "you see a little troll come toboganning out of your wifes snatch on a wave of turds and part of you will hold her responsible"

Almost shat myself laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Better second episode. Really enjoying this show especially when Sharon Horgan's character doesnt feature which sadly isnt very long. Just dont find her particularly funny.

Raf32 wrote: »
    Better second episode. Really enjoying this show especially when Sharon Horgan's character doesnt feature which sadly isnt very long. Just dont find her particularly funny.

It's pretty much a two-hander between herself and Delaney so there's going to be very few scenes that she doesn't feature in I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    It's pretty much a two-hander between herself and Delaney so there's going to be very few scenes that she doesn't feature in I'd imagine.

Yup agreed. Just found the scenes where he was off doing his own thing much funnier. Anything with her was a bit cringey imo but an improvement from first week.

Delaneys drugy friend, jaysus, nearly had me turning. Hopefully he's not back.

The Doc was funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Also loved her Cnuty mates husbands description of child birth from the first episode.

"You know they **** when they give birth"
    "I've heard that"
    "well I've seen it"
    "I wouldn't want that for you"
    "You'll never be able to forgive her"
    "forgive her??"
    "you see a little troll come toboganning out of your wifes snatch on a wave of turds and part of you will hold her responsible"

Almost shat myself laughing.
    Holy god yes, was amazing watching that and trying not to laugh with my wife beside me on the couch - we've just had our first baby, so my memories are fresh :D:pac:
    _Jumper_ wrote: »
    The Doc was funny.
    Good to see Tobias Menzies yes, great actor.

Second series confirmed.

It's unusual for a show to be renewed so early, especially in its first series. Great news.

More good news.

Amazon Studios has purchased Catastrophe so it will have an international audience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,223 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Raf32 wrote: »

I think her scenes and lines are great, some gems in there.

Advertisement