Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recommend a watch for ultras

Options
  • 08-01-2015 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭

Hi folks. I need to get a watch that can go 8 hours or so with GPS on. I am looking for something cheap so was thinking the older garmin like the 205 or 305.
    Just wondering would these be the best or is there another brand I should have a look at. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Ed Mc

My garmin forerunner 110 lasted 8hrs (and a bit) on my last ultra.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

kakee wrote: »
    Hi folks. I need to get a watch that can go 8 hours or so with GPS on. I am looking for something cheap so was thinking the older garmin like the 205 or 305.
    Just wondering would these be the best or is there another brand I should have a look at. Thanks.

Probably best to pick up a second hand 910xt or unwanted gift http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057353492

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

To quote fellrnr:
    The Garmin 310XT is great value for money and has all the features you're likely to need.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

310xt is your cheapest and best suited option. Battery life was around 13hrs on them I think.

Edit: http://www.handtec.co.uk/garmin-forerunner-310xt-noh.html

I bought my 910xt from Handtec, no complaints

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

mloc123 wrote: »
    310xt is your cheapest and best suited option. Battery life was around 13hrs on them I think.

Edit: http://www.handtec.co.uk/garmin-forerunner-310xt-noh.html

I bought my 910xt from Handtec, no complaints

Advertised battery time for a 310xt is 20 hours. In reality I used to get 18 hours out of mine when I got the watch and 16 hours about 2.5 years later.

I wouldn't get an 8-hour watch if you're serious about running ultras. One day sooner rather than later you might decide to go longer and all of a sudden 8 hours won't be enough any more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Ed Mc

I wouldn't get an 8-hour watch if you're serious about running ultras. One day sooner rather than later you might decide to go longer and all of a sudden 8 hours won't be enough any more.

This is the exact position I find myself in.

Wanna buy a watch Kakee? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

Thanks for the advice lads. I am thinking of the 310xt. They are on fitnessdigital.ie for 175 new at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Looking at the lenght of runs being discussed here I suggest that you screw the watch and just start running when the sun comes up and stop when it goes down Then sleep and repeat....the sleep bit is optional:D

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

Thanks for all the advice guys, I managed to get my hands on a 310xt at the weekend. Serious bit of kit, will take a while to get used to all the features. Hopefully this will do me for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 RL dublin

I have used the 310xt,, 910xt, 920xt and even the FR 220 for ultras. Also did a long run 10 hours with a suunto Ambit 2.

They all pack the battery power for long ultra events (up to 18 hours). The newer versions are slightly better (910/920xt). But what made it most useful was the 'breadcrumb' mapping. If you plan on doing a 100 miler - then go for a model that can show you pre-loaded 'mapping'. Its fairly straightforward to enter a GPX map into the Garmin/ and follow the course to ensure you don't get lost.

After 70 miles running I got lost at a major city junction, with 30 miles to go. I was able to pull up my map in the watch and follow the breadcrumb trail. Saved my day!

But the RollsRoyce of Ultra watches is the Suunto. Its bigger, sturdier and can give up to 50 hours on 'energy saver' mode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

RL dublin wrote: »
    But the RollsRoyce of Ultra watches is the Suunto. Its bigger, sturdier and can give up to 50 hours on 'energy saver' mode.

Be careful, the long battery life is for the Ambit 2 and Ambit 3 only.

The Ambit 2S and Ambit 2R have half the battery life and it's very easy to mix them up, especially when ordering online.

IMHO the 50 hours mode is pretty crap because it only reads the GPS signal once per minute, leading to wildly inaccurate measurements. It might have its uses for navigation on very long outings, alright.

However, they also have a 10-seconds mode with a battery life of 25 hours which is a great compromise between accuracy and battery life.

For the record, I ditched my 310xt 2 months ago for an Ambit 2. Both are great watches (and the 310xt costs a lot less).

• Registered Users Posts: 8 RL dublin

Absolutely agree with TFBubendorfer. You need to be aware of the differences in models of Suunto and the accuracy of the 'extended battery' life option.

Depending on the ultra event you plan on doing would determine the level of watch you need.

Advertisement