Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Parks And Recreation - Season 7 [*Spoilers*]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭OU812

Just watched Episode one. It's a cracker. If they keep this standard up, I'll be wishing it wasn't the last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭squonk

The shouty guy was a complete fúcking tool. Spoiled every scene he was in and was about as funny as an ingrown toenail and having a tooth pulled without anaesthetic both at the same time. You have to hand it to them for mixing the show up but that gob****e was someone they could have done without.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Good first couple of episodes, particularly the second episode and the scenes with Ron, Leslie and Jamm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭deisedude

squonk wrote: »
    The shouty guy was a complete fúcking tool. Spoiled every scene he was in and was about as funny as an ingrown toenail and having a tooth pulled without anaesthetic both at the same time. You have to hand it to them for mixing the show up but that gob****e was someone they could have done without.

Yep reminded me of poochie in that simpsons episode. I can't think of one redeeming feature of his character

• Registered Users Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

The wine connoisseur skit was about the only decent scene he was involved in.
    Otherwise, yeah, tool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

Yeah, I found Craig/Billy like nails on a chalkboard. He was just a one-note joke who overreacted to everything. He also didn't feel like a proper counterpart to Donna in the way that the other Eagleton staff did with their Pawnee versions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Didn't think the two eps were anything to ride home about but Megan Mullaly was very good. Werner Herzog's cameo will be hard to top in terms of fun.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The second episode was the stronger of the two, but the first had Werner ****ing Herzog in it, which speaks for itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

I actually thought they were good (eating my words there). I didn't like the whole hippie guy that Ron was helping out (he was very John Ralphio and I loved him but I don't like two different characters to have the same personality). Loved the name of Ron's business Very Good :P. But overall it still is missing something that it had in seasons 2-5. But yeah, surprisingly it still made me laugh. :)

Noticed that on Hulu episode 2 is available in two versions, a normal 22 minute episode and a 5 minute longer producers cut.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Noticed that on Hulu episode 2 is available in two versions, a normal 22 minute episode and a 5 minute longer producers cut.

Same on the NBC site. Should probably have just watched the longer one but didn't so have to watch it now to see what I missed.

I didn't think either episode was brilliant to be honest. Only ok in my opinion. The second with Tammy was the better of the tow but not enough laughs.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Wasn't overly impressed with either episode but loved Joan's 'commissioner Gordon and people of gotham' bit

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I'm 5 minutes into the first episode, and really don't know what to think to be honest..

By far Jon Hamm's best work

Not sure what to think of the two episodes, Werner Herzog was by far the best thing about either but I did love Jamm becoming Ron. I think that much as I would love the show, it's time to bow out gracefully has came.

I only had time to catch the first episode last night. I'm not sure I'm convinced so far. I still got some laughs and, relatively speeking, I got more laughs than I get normally from comedies so it's still good in that regard but it's just not really near as good as P&R can be! I think the time shift isn't helping and splitting the group into Team Leslie and Team Ron isn't really that particularly interesting.

Once I'd watched the first episode it occured to me that the episode with the Pawnee gig and Little Sebastian last season had more of a feel of a real finalé to it. The way I'm looking at it is that that was the Finalé and anything afterwards is just a victory lap really.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, chalk up another person on the 'somewhat disappointed' list. I didn't really want a whole season dedicated to what was essentially a sweet little coda for Leslie & Ben's story and sure enough, it just felt like a case of wheel-spinning on a bunch of stories at the end of their lifespan.

The Andy/April story was kinda funny as they fought against becoming responsible adults, and 'Very Good Building & Development Co.' was so beautifully Ron, but everything else? It actually felt like those generally terrible reunion episodes other sitcoms indulge in, long after the fires have been snuffed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Eh, not a great season opener but not bad either.

I hate their stupid Star Trek looking tablets they're all using, and I really hope they don't keep making 'hilarious' jokes about crazy things that will apparently happen in the next 3 years.

It makes no sense that Ron started his own company, we know he doesn't need the money and seemed to only be working to slow down the government. He hates things being done officially, and to set up a company like that would be nothing but paperwork and official inspections.

It was also kind of weird that they didn't show Leslie and Ben's kids, even though they were both on screen for the majority of the episodes, day and night. Poor kids, they've been shuffled off to sitcom daycare never to be seen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Didn't think the two eps were anything to ride home about but Megan Mullaly was very good. Werner Herzog's cameo will be hard to top in terms of fun.

This made me a laugh alot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

So, it wasn't just me then :rolleyes:

I was really looking forward to the new season, but my anticipation was not sated by what I saw. The actors are playing slightly different versions of their characters, but not the characters that drove the show up to now.

It looked like the actors were enjoying themselves. Lesley slapping Jam was good physical comedy. Pity the same enjoyment wasn't to be had this side of the screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Leslie's Tammy impression was amazing though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I thought the best bit was when
    Someone shushed Lesley in the library for talking when Tammy stripped off

naughtb4 wrote: »
    This made me a laugh alot :)
    I've made a huge mistake

Having watched the second episode I thought it was weaker than the opener actually. I guess I was just very disappointed though. Any other season Tammy or Jamm showing up would be the makings of a great episode. By correlation putting them together should be a knock it out of the park moment but it kind of fell flat. I did like the piece in the library and April's search for a new career with Ben was funny.

The show worked great based on the original setup but I think now there are problems.

Ron: As said, why would he set up a business? Ron was great as the Govt. employee who hated the Govt. He was also great as Leslie's mentor. Now they've made Ron a focused, dynamic businessman. He was much funnier sat behind his desk spouting sheer comedy gold nuggets.

Tom: The fun bit about Tom was that he was a bit of a Walter Mitty. He seriously wanted to be mega trendy and successful and his epic failures were always worth a watch. You could laugh at him but felt sorry for him as well. Now he's successful and doesn't appear to be screwing up in any way. They've changed the character. It's fine because there's only 6 episodes to go but kind of a pity, though nice to see him finally do well.

Donna: Who? She's barely getting screentime now, and doesn't have half the impact she did when she has.

April/Andy: They just seem to be gong through the motions now. I really love the pair of them but it struck me last night that they're almost parodies of themselves.

Leslie: Still kind of the same which is good. I'd like to see the kids though. I think they're a pretty big part of her life at this stage but you wouldn't think it to look at the show.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Jamm was the highlight so far. Fairly average episodes all round.
    I though Andy had some decent scenes as well....have they dumbed him down even more?

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I though Andy had some decent scenes as well....have they dumbed him down even more?

Not sure. It's why I think he's just an Andy parody now. The stupidity seems more blatant at any rate.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Not sure. It's why I think he's just an Andy parody now. The stupidity seems more blatant at any rate.

Don't get me wrong, still funny, possibly just taking the p*ss out of him because of his recent elevation in the movie industry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Quite enjoyed both episodes myself.

The Jamm intervention with Tammy's perfume ("girth") was great. Werner Herzog moving closer to Disneyland!

I'm encouraged although I don't get much sleep these days so maybe I'm laughing at stuff out of sheer exhaustion!

I just hope they're not going to drag out the 'why are Leslie and Ron enemies?' thing too long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Boom_Bap wrote: »

Andy was dumbed down a good bit in the last season. I don't think he seemed any dumber in the two new episodes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Jaysus that gay stereotype who's supposed to be Donnas Eagleton counterpart is a disaster, they should have cut him straight away, if they brought in a black stereotype that outdated there would be uproar, worst of all he cant act and he's never done anything funny.

Advertisement