Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v 4.0 (08/07/14 to date)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I think Michael needs to give Clare a loan of his hair conditioner.
    Leave Michael alone :mad:

I think he has a fine head of hair :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Claire tells Tom why these medieval practices took place and then asks the other woman why they happened? Was he not listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

The problem with the McAleese report on the Magdelene laundries was that it revealed the truth, (which doesn't suit some campaigners).!

coolhull wrote: »
    Michael is surely disappointed he didn't get a half-ministership
    He has been punished for backing Alex Whyte in the Labour leadership contest. I have a strong feeling he will retire from politics after one term in the Dáil.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Leave Michael alone :mad:

I think he has a fine head of hair :D

Exactly. It seems to have plenty of bounce. Clare could do with some bounce :D

• Advertisement

Exactly. It seems to have plenty of bounce. Clare could do with some bounce :D
    Sorry Harry, it's my dyslexia, I read your post wrong :o:D

Claire tells Tom why these medieval practices took place and then asks the other woman why they happened? Was he not listening.

Because Clare was on a bit of a rant, as usual. He was probably only half-listening to her.

I suppose none of those social workers (or their superiors) who dealt with this case will get the slightest reprimand.

Why is Isreal attacking Gazza? I know he has a very annoying personality. I know he has drink problems. But he WAS a brilliant footballer. LEAVE THE GUY ALONE!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Two Gazzas? Ah here

• Advertisement

Jesus that Power wans voice would go through you

According to my TV schedule, Dearbhail McDonald was supposed to be presenting this week's show. She'd be a vast improvement on McGurk.

Eoghan Corry's had a haircut.

Eoghan Corry's had a haircut.

Left the nostrils alone though :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

My local city council want to sort out the problems of the world so long as those problems aren't in Galway.

Shower of twits.

• Registered Users Posts: 80,795 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

When you have about 50% of the population women why don't they not just vote for fellow women or form a women only party? Gender quotas are idiotic, will bring in token women for the sake of bringing them in devaluing their role.

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

''Ireland's looking a lot better now that we have more women in Cabinet''

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

I missed the start. Who's hosting tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

When you have about 50% of the population women why don't they not just vote for fellow women or form a women only party? Gender quotas are idiotic, will bring in token women for the sake of bringing them in devaluing their role.

I think gender quotas are a necessary evil, and the only way to quickly make the Dáil a bit more representative of the electorate. In my constituency, there were around twenty candidates on the ballot paper in the last general election, but only one of them was a woman (she was elected, incidentally). It shouldn't be about persuading women to vote for women. It should be about persuading the parties to make more of an effort to run female candidates. Gender quotas won't prevent the public from voting for all male candidates, should they wish to do so.

RayM wrote: »
    I think gender quotas are a necessary evil, and the only way to quickly make the Dáil a bit more representative of the electorate. In my constituency, there were around twenty candidates on the ballot paper in the last general election, but only one of them was a woman (she was elected, incidentally). It shouldn't be about persuading women to vote for women. It should be about persuading the parties to make more of an effort to run female candidates. Gender quotas won't prevent the public from voting for all male candidates, should they wish to do so.

I don't see the need for it, quotas are essential to bring about change in areas like policing where religious/sectarian discimination has resulted in poor representation of one minority over another and a balance is required. Basing who you make available to the public to select purely on gender will get a poorer class of politician and make the media target the token woman in each electoral area.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Ger Colleran.

Acording to Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭RodVelvet

Dearbhail McDonald is hosting tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

John's Communion suit must be at the dry cleaners.

I don't see the need for it, quotas are essential to bring about change in areas like policing where religious/sectarian discimination has resulted in poor representation of one minority over another and a balance is required. Basing who you make available to the public to select purely on gender will get a poorer class of politician and make the media target the token woman in each electoral area.

The root of the problem is discrimination towards women. Gender quotas are forcing the parties to pick women candidates.

We don't have a great class of politician anyway. It can't get much worse. With gender quotas, it's highly unlikely that any brilliant men will be displaced. It might be a good way of getting rid of some deadwood.

The root of the problem is discrimination towards women. Gender quotas are forcing the parties to pick women candidates.

But how, women could form their own party tomorrow with only women candidates and have women vote exclusively for them. Perhaps women being part of any of the current parties that have a tiny proportion of their candidates female is more to the root of the problem.

But how, women could form their own party tomorrow with only women candidates and have women vote exclusively for them. Perhaps women being part of any of the current parties that have a tiny proportion of their candidates female is more to the root of the problem.

There's widespread discrimination against women. A lot of the male posters on this site refer to the appearance of the female panelists before anything else. That's just one example of sexism.

There are people that still don't regard the opinion of women as important as the opinion of men. They will listen to men, but not women.

There's widespread discrimination against women. A lot of the male posters on this site refer to the appearance of the female panelists before anything else. That's just one example of sexism.

There are people that still don't regard the opinion of women as important as the opinion of men. They will listen to men, but not women.

Obviously a lot of the people who don't listen to, or vote for, women are other women, otherwise there would no need for gender quotas!

Something I've noticed on the Vincent Browne thread is that people make comments not necessarily about a woman's attractiveness, but about her demeanour. Clare Daly, for instance, often gets criticised for appearing too serious. I don't think I've ever seen similar comments being levelled towards male politicians. Politicians, when talking about serious matters, are allowed to look serious... unless they're women, in which case they have a duty to smile and look pretty.

• Advertisement

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Obviously a lot of the people who don't listen to, or vote for, women are other women, otherwise there would no need for gender quotas!

Absolutely, there are conservative women in Ireland, plenty of them! Some women still judge other women for working when they have young children.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement