Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Someone Key'd My Car

• 13-11-2013 3:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

Just got home from visiting my folks and when I got out of the car and shut the door I noticed that someone 'key'd' the driver's door. I only have the car a couple of months and it is spotless apart from this..... Raging!

Any recommendations on the best thing to use to buff it out?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Just got home from visiting my folks and when I got out of the car and shut the door I noticed that someone 'key'd' the driver's door. I only have the car a couple of months and it is spotless apart from this..... Raging!

Any recommendations on the best thing to use to buff it out?

Thanks.
    It'd likely take at minimum a machine buffer i'd imagine unless it is quite deep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

If its keyed you won't buff it - panel beater and respray.
    Friend had to go this way, so did I. Nothing would cover white line on a black paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Sorry for your trouble.

The responsible sh1ts should have their skin peeled off and be thrown into a batch of salt and vinegar.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

It's a head-melter. I've had a similar experience with my car. It's one of the hazards of having to park in public. I've a few notches out of the paint from people being careless with doors, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

If you in dublin I can recommend CarCosmetix, will collect and drop car back to you also, bloody victims of society :rolleyes: SCUMBAGS! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

It's a head-melter. I've had a similar experience with my car. It's one of the hazards of having to park in public. I've a few notches out of the paint from people being careless with doors, too.

Totally true, My car was 17 years in Japan and not a scratch, 3 months here and there are little pot holes in the paint from idiots in car parks not respecting other peoples cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Sidewayslarry

If you can feel the scratch as you run your finger nail over it then it is too deep to buff out. You could try a bit of wet-sanding and buffing on it to take the bad look off but generally it will be a respray job. Sorry to hear, its soul destroying
    I spotted a russian dash cam on youtube catching a guy in the act keying a line of cars. Seriously thinking of investing in a dash cam for this reason and for the amount of idiots on the roads

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Totally true, My car was 17 years in Japan and not a scratch, 3 months here and there are little pot holes in the paint from idiots in car parks not respecting other peoples cars.
    People smacking their door of my car makes my blood boil.

It's no use parking in a quiet area of a carpark either. Some id*ot will always park up close beside your car even when there is plenty of free spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    People smacking their door of my car makes my blood boil.

It's no use parking in a quiet area of a carpark either. Some id*ot will always park up close beside your car even when there is plenty of free spaces.

I can never understand this, I normally park in a isolated part of a car park yet when you return there will be one if not two dopes parked on top of ya..

The cinema is the very same, even if the place is deserted and you pick a seat on your own someone will try and trample across you to sit in the same row...:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Thanks all.

Yeah, I can't understand it at all. The car was parked outside my parents place (I grew up there and know most of the neighbours - mostly elderly people at this stage so highly unlikely it was them) with the passenger door parallel to the footpath and the driver door parallel to the road. I wasn't blocking the road, path, or anyone's driveway (except my parents' driveway).

It couldn't have been a passing vehicle as there would be more damage. The place was deserted when I was going in and coming out... Any kids should have been in school at the time, and as I said I highly doubt it was any neighbours...

I was hoping to try something myself before paying someone to do a respray (I'm recently made redundant so funds are tight!) - is there anything I could pick up in say Halfords or somewhere that might allow me to try do a DIY job on it first??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

I was hoping to try something myself before paying someone to do a respray (I'm recently made redundant so funds are tight!) - is there anything I could pick up in say Halfords or somewhere that might allow me to try do a DIY job on it first??

Unless you have experience in panel beating / spraying cars then its likely any type of DIY job you try will end up with the car looking worse than it is now.
    Best to take the hit and let the professionals do it and get it right first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

Truckermal wrote: »
    I can never understand this, I normally park in a isolated part of a car park yet when you return there will be one if not two dopes parked on top of ya..

The cinema is the very same, even if the place is deserted and you pick a seat on your own someone will try and trample across you to sit in the same row...:mad:

Worse still, I've been sitting in my car waiting for someone in a car park - Someone parks beside me, and slams the door off mine. They just act like nothing happened. :mad:

Happened to a friend of mine a year or two ago - Guy pulled up next to him in a nice Audi A3. The dickhead kicked his door open, rammed off my friends car, and acted like nothing happened. Left a decent sized dent. He wasn't impressed, so he began so slam his door of the Audi until it too had it's own dent, and then drove off. Never seen a man so angry in all my life :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 42 topstuff

no there is no touch up job that can be done to make it look any better. by sanding it or touching up with paint will make it look worse.. im a panel beater myself and have seen lots of people coming into the garage with touch up jobs and ended up costing more in the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,288 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Fix it nice or fix it twice :)

topstuff wrote: »
    no there is no touch up job that can be done to make it look any better. by sanding it or touching up with paint will make it look worse.. im a panel beater myself and have seen lots of people coming into the garage with touch up jobs and ended up costing more in the end!
    The worst is when you see fellas touching up scratches with aerosol cans thinking they will get the paintwork back like new.

These botch jobs usually look desperate and end up making the car look worse instead of better.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

JohnBoy26 wrote: »

Things like this are the reason why I can totally understand and justify people parking across two spaces in a car park. Its preferable to be an asshole than to have to keep repairing the paintwork of your car...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

I bought some T-Cut in Halfords and tried it but the scratch is too deep. Any idea how much it would cost for a repair job? Even a rough idea... Are we talkin €50 or €500 ???.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Probably a couple of hundred. Send a pic to trimtech and they'll give you a quote

I bought some T-Cut in Halfords and tried it but the scratch is too deep. Any idea how much it would cost for a repair job? Even a rough idea... Are we talkin €50 or €500 ???.....
    Depends where u are. In citys and bigger places it seems to be dearer. About 200 as long as the car isnt faded and needed to be blended in

topstuff wrote: »
    Depends where u are. In citys and bigger places it seems to be dearer. About 200 as long as the car isnt faded and needed to be blended in
    But sure if it's on the door won't it need to be blended in?

• Advertisement

It wouldnt have to be blended to the wing or back door unless the paint on the car is faded abit. Mostly silver red and blue is hardest match but black should b okay if the car is fairly fresh.

Some garages mite say it needs it and buff up the two panels side by side and say they done it but actually didnt.. for more profit. Theres some cowboy garages out there so ya need to be careful

Advertisement