Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,000 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Could you imagine Guillard v Paul Harris? Jesus! There'd be nothing left of poor Melvin!
    Guillard fought at WW before TUF. And when the UFC introduced the 155 division he moved there pretty quickly. I don't think he fought at WW since.
    I'd Beverly surprised if he moved to WW now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Mellor wrote: »
    Guillard fought at WW before TUF. And when the UFC introduced the 155 division he moved there pretty quickly. I don't think he fought at WW since.
    I'd Beverly surprised if he moved to WW now.

When I said there'd be nothing left of him. I meant after Paul Harris ate him for dinner!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭p to the e

I imagine he'll stay at LW aswell. If they don't put him against Jakob Volkman then there's some potential scrappy bouts for him there.

I don't think Bellator has the talent at WW that WSOF has but Bellator definitely has the cash that Shields may be looking for so it will be interesting to see what happens. He may even have a return to MW.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

MrStuffins wrote: »
    The guy did himself no favours. He has done a good bit in MMa but he doesn't have the style to be a top guy/Champion.

He hardly set the world alight. Was it 4 Split decision wins?

He's way too grappling oriented. HIs astounding grappling has gotten him this far but he was horribly exposed by Lombard last time out. It was embarrassing to watch almost. He as terrrible!

Agree completely, I'm surprised but not fussed. 3 of his Decision wins could've gone either way particularly the Kampmann fight which most believe he lost although with the victory over Woodley one Judge in fact scored the fight 30-27 to Woodley biggrin.pngbiggrin.png. All this and failing a drug test wouldn't help either of course.

Heres a great article on his release: http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/4/8/5592082/who-is-to-blame-for-the-ufc-release-of-jake-shields

In summary;

7 of his 8 fights went to decision

Scored 1 takedown in 37 attempts in his last 3 UFC fights!!

On about $120,000 plus as a 35 year old whos not a draw to fight on the prelims?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Thanks for this article. It changed my mind on Shields' cut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,489 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Well I for one, do not want this to develop.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Well I for one, do not want this to develop.

That's not even close to mma. It's like a bunch of idiots fighting outside a pub.
    I'd imagine the mma community will very quickly distance themselves from this and it'll fizzle out like that arm wrestling "mma" thing a while back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

I'd like to see the sport played 15 v 15 in Croke park. It's way better than X-Arm!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I'd like to see the sport played 15 v 15 in Croke park. It's way better than X-Arm!

That's the one!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,000 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

See that posted on Facebook. It's a disgrace, the fact the are kitted out like mma fighters is terrible for the sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭p to the e

Wasn't there one a while back where they fought but on like an obstacle course? As far as I know that X-Arm was set up by UFC co founder Art Davie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

p to the e wrote: »
    Wasn't there one a while back where they fought but on like an obstacle course? As far as I know that X-Arm was set up by UFC co founder Art Davie

Yeah, I remember seeing that, there was padded structures that they could climb, jump off, get thrown off etc.

Don't think something like this will harm the sport long-term really. Just a bizarre sideshow that won't last long.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,186 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

The only way some crap like this could blow back on proper MMA is if someone was killed. Then of course the headlines would read "fighter killed in 10 man UFC brawl".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

p to the e wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XR9uyYoQmg

is this what u mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Roy Nelson would be a great welterweight

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Tyrone Spong just got Anderson Silva'd at Glory 15 .... Rough stuff.

Wish him a speedy recovery

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Rich Franklin has 1 fight on his UFC contract and he plans to return :rolleyes:

Rich was once the man in the MW division, Chael is looking to retire him:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Wow chael is great, first he basically retires anderson and now is set to retire franklin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Wow chael is great, first he basically retires anderson and now is set to retire franklin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

What time our time is tonights UFC event occurring?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

What time our time is tonights UFC event occurring?

Prelims at 10pm and main card starting at 1am all on BT sports 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Locomotion

Bisping and Tavares are calling each other out and want the fight ASAP. Maybe they'd lob this on the Dublin card?

http://mmajunkie.com/2014/04/after-recent-losses-michael-bisping-and-brad-tavares-campaign-for-ufc-fight/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,186 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

How the mighty have fallen. Bisping was calling out the winner of Weidman vs Machida a week or 2 back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

• Registered Users Posts: 11,908 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Hendo vs Cormier confirmed as Co-Main for Dublin, sorry, i meant UFC 173 on May 24th

That's gonna be a GREAT fight, if Hendo wins he can't be far away from a shot

• Registered Users Posts: 23,808 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

scudzilla wrote: »
    Hendo vs Cormier confirmed as Co-Main for Dublin, sorry, i meant UFC 173 on May 24th

That's gonna be a GREAT fight, if Hendo wins he can't be far away from a shot

it's a mismatch imo
    hendo just way past it now and cormier is about as bad
    a fight for hendo as I can think of right now
    it'll be a very easy win for cormier, just hope hendo doesnt
    get knocked out
    Hell I'd love to be wrong but hendo in my eyes has
    no chance here

• Registered Users Posts: 11,908 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

mailburner wrote: »
    it's a mismatch imo
    hendo just way past it now and cormier is about as bad
    a fight for hendo as I can think of right now
    it'll be a very easy win for cormier, just hope hendo doesnt
    get knocked out
    Hell I'd love to be wrong but hendo in my eyes has
    no chance here

never EVER write Hendo off, so long as his right fist is attached to his body he 'could' beat anybody in the world

scudzilla wrote: »
    never EVER write Hendo off, so long as his right fist is attached to his body he 'could' beat anybody in the world

He was awful v shogun, just plain slow until he connected
    I nearly wanted him to lose in the hope he'd retire

Cormier is in his prime, wins this however he likes imo
    hendo way past it sadly, don't think he can take a big shot anymore
    I'm writing him off

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Cormier will rightfully be favourite but I don't see anything in Cormier to suggest he'll be invincible in a fight with Hendo!

• Advertisement

I must be the only one who think hendo is well and truly past it

He was embarrassing to watch until he caught shogun

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement