Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Downton Abbey

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Oh so foolish

England is a big place and they park at a roadside B n'B/pub on the main road
    The one place they would be likely to be found :rolleyes:

Even if they found a place with a car park they would have made it to Scotland

The Earl would slap down that young Fenian this week :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

What time is it on at?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Do none of these people have any friends outside of the house? Have we ever seen Mary, Edith, the Earl, Cora, the Dowager Duchess speak to anyone who wasn't a fiancé, relative or employee?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Well for one (two), Major and Mrs Bryant are neither affianced or related to, nor employed by, the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Izzy j

Just finished watching the last episode of series 2. Sunday nights won't be the same without my fix. Can't wait for series 3 sept 2012 I believe.

• Advertisement

Izzy j wrote: »
    Just finished watching the last episode of series 2. Sunday nights won't be the same without my fix. Can't wait for series 3 sept 2012 I believe.
    There is a christmas special soon enough :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Sandwlch

goose2005 wrote: »
    Do none of these people have any friends outside of the house? Have we ever seen Mary, Edith, the Earl, Cora, the Dowager Duchess speak to anyone who wasn't a fiancé, relative or employee?

Dowager Countess of Grantham : "Friends ? What are 'friends' ? "

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

I thought the Lord /maid story line was just too far fetched. but Anna and Bates. Finally! and poor poor Matthew.

and by god is Mary up the creek without a paddle now!!!

I love Downton! Im going to be in withdrawal til the xmas special!

must order series 2 box set.

and just to make things more dramatic, my flat mate and I were watching the finale late as we had recorded it, and what happened?!?! it cut off before the end! Damn UPC *shakes fist* - but thanks to my Mam and twitter, I dont think we actually missed anything.

Does anyone else think Mary is a right witch? I don't see what Matthew is supposed to see in her. She is a downright nasty, arrogant, cruel person.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Does anyone else think Mary is a right witch? I don't see what Matthew is supposed to see in her. She is a downright nasty, arrogant, cruel person.
    Ah, I think you are being harsh, I didn't like her in Series 1 but I think she has mellowed alot. I thought it was lovely the way she had a room prepared for the new Mr & Mrs Bates :)

• Advertisement

Anna and Bates are the loveliest couple on TV

mikemac wrote: »
    Anna and Bates are the loveliest couple on TV
    Tbh I loved them last series, but this time around I've found them rather irritating and their story a wee bit tiresome. Sorry Batesy :o

SarahBM wrote: »
    I love Downton! Im going to be in withdrawal til the xmas special!

must order series 2 box set.

See this is what's confusing me. It's out today and I'd love to buy it, but with this Christmas special are they then going to release another series 2 DVD which will have the special included or what? I mean it continues where last night's episode left off so it is a sort of continuation of the series. I kind of feel they'll probably release it as a separate DVD, but if they do release an alternative second series DVD with that included and I'd bought the first one I'd be pissed off. I really want it though...

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭trixie_belle12

Hey all,

Sorry to hijack the thread just sat down to watch last night's episode with a cup of tea and for some reason it seems to have duplicated last week's episode! :eek:

I can't find it on the TV3 player, although I'm sure I watched it here before. Does anyone know of any repeats this week?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Sorry to hijack the thread just sat down to watch last night's episode with a cup of tea and for some reason it seems to have duplicated last week's episode! :eek:
    It depends where you watch it. TV3 are a week behind ITV so the series finale will be on next Sunday night on TV3.
    Oh and Lord Grantham and Jane made no sense on any level (let alone while his wife was potentially on her deathbed). Bates and Anna should just stop making positive happy plans for the future 'cos about 2 seconds later disaster always befalls them and it got boring this series. All the relationships were pretty ridiculous tbh. I expect Matthew and Thomas to get together in Series 3 as it's no more bonkers than anything this series threw up. :pac:

D'uh I got mixed up with my channels then :( Have to wait til Sunday to see the drama unfold!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

mikemac wrote: »
    England is a big place and they park at a roadside B n'B/pub on the main road
    The one place they would be likely to be found :rolleyes:

Even if they found a place with a car park they would have made it to Scotland
    It's likely that inns were few and far between so choices would be limited, plus they didn't think the alarm would be raised until morning.

They couldn't sleep in a car, imagine the rumours! *scandalised face* :pac:

That was an episode and a half, I had a great laugh at poor Moseley! Liked Lavinia a lot in this episode, she had more guts than I gave her credit for.

Just finished watching last night's episode and it didn't disappoint. You have to love the dowager countess and her acerbic one liners lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Is it only girls watching this show?

Hell no

• Advertisement

Is it only girls watching this show?
    No, I've enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

I find its one of the few shows that myself and the missus can enjoy together and thats the same way for a lot of people we know. (However, this only came to light after drink was taken...:o)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I can't wait for the Christmas special now, eek!! :):)

Ah, poor Lavinia. (although it was fairly predictable what would happen!) :(

How come series 2 Mr. Bates walks along quite easily with his stick, and barely a limp, whereas in series 1 he was hobbling about and in terrible pain.. maybe the love of a good woman and that fresh Downton air have healing powers! ;)

The limp was only a recent thing he had developed so he's got used to it/slightly better.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Mrs Ron Burgundy

I really hope they let the Irish chauffeur guy and Sybil get together. I will be SERIOUSLY disappointed if that doesn't happen. Sybil is fair annoying though!!

P.S. Will people who are watching on ITV please stop spilling the beans for those of us who watch on tv3. I now know exactly what's going to happen in the final episode :(

I really hope they let the Irish chauffeur guy and Sybil get together. I will be SERIOUSLY disappointed if that doesn't happen. Sybil is fair annoying though!!
    No way, Sybil's grand. Branson is the incredibly irritating one.
    P.S. Will people who are watching on ITV please stop spilling the beans for those of us who watch on tv3. I now know exactly what's going to happen in the final episode :(

Eh, why? Why don't you just avoid the thread/latest posts until you've seen the episode?

No way, Sybil's grand. Branson is the incredibly irritating one.

Eh, why? Why don't you just avoid the thread/latest posts until you've seen the episode?

We'll have to agree to disagree on the sybil/branson thing. Why should I avoid a discussion forum on a show that I'm watching, I'd have to avoid it til the show actually ended in that case - would it not just make sense for people who are ahead to add spoilers? It's not asking too much imo

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

would it not just make sense for people who are ahead to add spoilers? It's not asking too much imo

Not necessarily because when people put spoilers on things that have already aired, everyone gets used to reading them automatically and then if any future spoilers are posted they get uncovered and read by accident. It completely defeats the purpose of spoilers.

If people are watching it after it's already been aired they need to avoid the thread, ideally there should be an ITV pace thread and a TV3 pace thread which should be clear in the titles, but so few people are watching it the week behind that I guess nobody bothered with a second one.

would it not just make sense for people who are ahead to add spoilers? It's not asking too much imo

Well, it's not too much if people were ahead, but they're not - IMO, you're behind. The episode has already been aired on TV in Ireland and that's all there is to it.

If I choose to go out on a weekend night and miss X Factor, I don't go reading/posting in the X Factor thread in the Reality TV forum until I've caught up with the episode.

It's just common sense.

Just my opinion.

• Advertisement

Well, it's not too much if people were ahead, but they're not - IMO, you're behind. The episode has already been aired on TV in Ireland and that's all there is to it.

If I choose to go out on a weekend night and miss X Factor, I don't go reading/posting in the X Factor thread in the Reality TV forum until I've caught up with the episode.

It's just common sense.

Just my opinion.

Ok, ok. I graciously surrender. I think the problem is that my internet at home is too dodgy to watch online and I'm impatient.

The moral of the story is that I've no-one to blame but myself...and I now grudgingly accept that :(

Advertisement