Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Downton Abbey

• 23-09-2010 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84,825 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Promo

Set in an Edwardian country house in 1912, Downton Abbey portrays the lives of the Crawley family and the servants who work for them.
    ITV’s new costume drama series, Downton Abbey, written and created by Oscar-winning writer Julian Fellowes and made by Carnival Films for ITV stars Maggie Smith as Violet, Dowager Countess of Grantham, Hugh Bonneville as Robert, Earl of Grantham and Elizabeth McGovern as Robert’s wife, Cora, Countess of Grantham.
    They lead an all-star cast, which also includes Penelope Wilton, Dan Stevens, Michelle Dockery, Jim Carter, Phyllis Logan, Lesley Nicol, Siobhan Finneran, Rob James-Collier, Joanne Froggatt, as well as new and emerging actors, Rose Leslie, Sophie McShera, Laura Carmichael, Jessica Brown Findlay and Thomas Howes.
    Guest artists include Robert Bathurst, Samantha Bond, Allen Leech, David Robb, Brendan Patrick and Theo James.

Starts this Sunday at 9pm

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Very good first episode. Looks like ITV didn't spare any expense with this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Poochie05

I quite enjoyed it. Solid cast, good acting, i'll definitely be tuning in next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

A good production but I won't be watching it as it goes out next week. I don't mind commercials during programmes but there seemed to be one every 5 minutes. Including the GO compare singer who breaks any atmosphere that's trying to be created. ( I was watching on ITV West country so he may have not appeared on UTV)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

I surprised myself by watching and enjoying it. There were strong echoes of the 30-year old Upstairs Downstairs series from LWT http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upstairs,_Downstairs

• Registered Users Posts: 84,825 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Starts this Sunday on TV3

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Looking forward to this, i do love period drama's.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Watched the whole series. Utterly enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Watched the whole lot in one day, hooked after the first episode and needed to see the lot.

They threw money at this production and its paid off.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I watched this over the last few days and did enjoy it. It looked absolutely fantastic throughout, but storywise it went downhill from about the mid-way point. Its start with the entail and the new heir was interesting. I loved how being a lawyer who was the son of a doctor was seen as shockingly low class. But as it progressed it became a bit farcical. The flower show sub-plot annoyed me, the perfect, enthusiastically naive, harem-pants wearing daughter was too much of a caricature. I thought we might actually see her become less naive as she struck up a friendship with Branson, bearing in mind that for a large part the suffrage movement at that time was largely just campaigning for votes for upperclass women as even landless men at that point had no vote.

Worst of all was the level of "bad guy" that Thomas and O'Brien sunk to. Instead of being interesting, normal, characters who were not happy to only ever have certain opportunities and rise so high, but not further, they were just mean. Most of the other servants were all the type who were happy with their lot and position and never queried the class system. Except for Gwen, who needed lady modern to get her a new job. Daisy was also annoying, the cook had a large staff of kitchen maids, so I don't understand why the dim-witted scullery maid was who she turned to, to spoil the food for upstairs.

Too many corners were cut plotwise in the latter episodes, which was an awful pity as few corners appear to have been cut by production. It's unusual for ITV to go to such expense and employ such perfection to the look and feel of a show. It's a pity that the effort was let down by a slide into paint-by-numbers plotting and characterisation.

Still though, it was enjoyable diversion and it has great potential if the scripts for the second series are tighter.

• I started watching it on TV3 on Sunday (16th),was that episode 1 or 2?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭MBateson

The second episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sionainn

I missed episodes one and two. Does anyone know where I can catch up? They are not available on tv3 catch up for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I'm at tv3 pace with this and am really enjoying it. Some nice dynamics going on with the characters. I really don't think I was supposed to find
    the death of the turk
    as funny as I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Kalina

I absolutely love this show, however I agree with some previous posters that one or two of the storylines are a bit farcical- Mr. Pamook, anyone. However, I watched the whole series in 2 nights on DVD and can't wait for series 2, which is apparently due in late autumn!

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

I am watching this on TV3 and annoyingly the last few minutes of last Sunday's episode were not recorded. I missed what happened at flower show prize giving and thereafer... anyone? Did Mr Mosely get his trophy? :) There does not seem to be a decent plot summery online and no way to watch either. :(

I am watching this on TV3 and annoyingly the last few minutes of last Sunday's episode were not recorded. I missed what happened at flower show prize giving and thereafer... anyone? Did Mr Mosely get his trophy? :) There does not seem to be a decent plot summery online and no way to watch either. :(
    No. Well sort of. Maggie Smith's character's name was once again in the winning envelope but she announced to everyone that Mr. Mosely won it. Sound ol' gal. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

This happened to me too, watched the end online. Telekon is right, also
    Edith writes to the Turkish Ambassador telling him about Mary and Pamook.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

thanks for those replies guys! pity both censored as deemed 'spoilers' so not sure what you said! :D

'Missing the ends of things' seems frequent now with new NTL set up.. . if I set to record extra minutes from end of something it gets upset as then there is 'overlap'. Or did TV3 change the times? Usual sod's law of having only decent programs on at same time of a night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Morgans

The text in the spoiler is hidden for those who dont want to see it. Hold down your left mouse button and drag your mouse across the spoiler to see the text.

thanks for those replies guys! pity both censored as deemed 'spoilers' so not sure what you said! :D

awwww.....so cute!! can I keep her?? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Bit of a bump

Just started into this series yesterday and heading for Episode 3

The whole show looks gorgeous and I was reading at the huge money it cost to produce. Worth checking out

A bit of wtf moment when they thought being a lawyer and his father was a doctor were professions to be looked down on. Well, maybe they were right to look down at lawyers :p
    And not knowing what the weekend was, are they serious?

This show is a keeper, get the boxset folks

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Kaizer Sosa

I ended up watching this out of boredom. It was on a mate's hard-drive that I borrowed however, I ended up getting totally sucked into life in Downton. Sure, there are some flaws (pantomime villains Thomas and O'Brien), but overall I thought it was an excellent series and am dying for season 2 already.

Maggie Smith is excellent as the Countess Violet but most of the performances are pretty strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

They are in the middle of filming the second series at the moment. Can't wait to see it in the autumn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Niamh O'Mahony

does anyone know when season two is starting on tv3?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I've just seen a promo for it on TV3 now, they just said that it's coming soon. Hopefully, it will start next Sunday (18th).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,519 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Can't wait for the next series of Downton Abbey, it's so brilliant!! :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

I loved this programme so much I could keep watching repeats. I was absolutely delighted to hear that the new series would be starting soon. Can't wait. Loved the storylines, costumes, settings. The actors were very well cast. Loved everything about it, but series 1 will be hard to follow.

Just seen a promo and I think it said next Sunday at 10pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Shall be watching it this time next week! Sooooooo excited :)

Advertisement