Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Post here every time you get something new!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭ondafly

excellent - can you send me the link for the LCD on Dealextreme ? I have the battery pack for mine too. Its certainly something I'd be interested in doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,370 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It turns the Nomad from an interesting curiosity into something you can actually use. Combined with the Everdrive and it's unreal. One of my favourite gaming items for sure.

Here's the screen -

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.20415

And here's a guide to the mods.

http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=36273&p=409451&hilit=nomad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Picked up Zelda: Link's Awakening in Rage today. I gave it to the shopkeeper behind the counter to hold while I had a look at that exhibition in the basement. Before descending the stairs I noticed Super Metroid on the shelf and thought to myself "I must get that when I come back up."

The rest of the story is self-explanatory :( God-dammit.

popped into RAGE for the first time ever today and picked up the following (super tennis is under the GB pocket)

photo-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Picked up Ultimate Ghouls n Ghosts for PSP, also got Monkey Ball touch n roll on DS along with Nanostray 2 & XG Blast on DS all for €30 which means I now have €120 to put towards getting a 3DS unless I go to Rage tomorrow and become poor again:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Poor showing in Balbriggan market today.
    Weather was fab and crowds were out, never saw so many stalls but not much in the way of retro gaming goodness.
    Saw a first gen PS, phono sockets in the back and all but some kid nabbed it before me.
    Got a couple of PS games, Populous, Tomb Raider Chronicles and Fighting Force 2, all for 2 euro, so not a complete loss.
    I saw a reasonably complete Xbox there too as well as a large selection of PS2 games.

Master of the Universe

ondafly - That's a lovely Gameboy pocket. I have the original DMG 01 play it loud version in those colours, but didn't know a pocket existed! Looks great.

Got a couple of things for the Jag yesterday, Raiden and the ever important RGB cable. Thankfully it's full 100% RGB, got it right first time. So I'm very happy with that. Picture quality has gone from dirt to perfect.

actually have my first gameboy still, but the poor LCD has a leak - my uncle was on business in Japan at the time of launch and brought it back for me :D

I was surprised the GB pocket actually has a bigger display than the GB Color.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

You think that was a surprise!
    After the hype machine had done its work we were all waiting for the GB Color only to find the console screen was, yes, smaller than the Pocket and needed chunky AA's instead of the dinky AAA ones but also, in order to see the actual "Color" you needed to be playing the console on the planet Mercury, at noon!

For me, the definitive Gameboys are the Pocket and the GBA SP, two brilliantly designed devices.
    The GB Pocket batteries just seems to go on forever!
    I have Tetris virtually welded into that machine!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,778 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I like the SP's screen but think it's horrible to hold and play games on. The original GBA is gloriously ergonomic but that screen really lets it down. I remember playing Castlevania circle of the moon with my back to the windwo just so I could see the screen.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I like the SP's screen but think it's horrible to hold and play games on. The original GBA is gloriously ergonomic but that screen really lets it down. I remember playing Castlevania circle of the moon with my back to the windwo just so I could see the screen.

Even with Afterburner type kits installed, the original GBA is garbage by todays standards. Absolutely no reason to own one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,778 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If only there was a way to get a backlit screen into it it would be great. Not a fan of the SP's screen either since it's front lit but it is better than the originals.

Master of the Universe

There is always the Gameboy SP AGS-101 ;)

Would be great to take the screen out of one of them and put it in a GBA. Would feel a bit wrong though!

Never knew about the backlit models. Would love one.

Also thanks for mentioning the GBA. It reminded me to play Boktai in the nice weather. The original GBA screen looks gorgeous in direct sunlight as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Good idea, might get started on the Boktai games this week. Have been meaning to try out lunar knights with a boktai cart inserted as well, apparently it can be used in the same way

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Just back from RAGE.
    Got me a GBAsp Zelda Gold Edition! Its a little scratched on the outside and a tiny mark on top of the screen but does not interfere with the screen play.
    They had a perfect Zelda gba for €50 too if anyones interested. And also they have a boxed purple gba for €12 fully working and a silver sp but that was broken.
    Also got Yoshi&Mario for gb, have no idea what that game is like... I'm pleased as punch with my purchase!
    I will upload some pics if you guys want me too later on?

Went into 3D games too and got Nes classic Boomerman boxed for €3.99(never played it...), asked for a gba and it was €29.99! also boxed. No thanks lol.

So my next plan is to get all Zelda gb/gba games over the next few weeks.
    What other 'great' games would you guys recommend me to get my libary off the ground?
    Also are the batterys in gb/gba games kinda dead at this stage of the game?

If you have the money then Ninja Cop/Ninja 5-0 is fantastic. Worst named game ever though.

Definitely get all 3 castlevania GBA games. You'll find it much easier to get the double pack of the last two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Just back from RAGE.
    Got me a GBAsp Zelda Gold Edition! Its a little scratched on the outside and a tiny mark on top of the screen but does not interfere with the screen play.
    They had a perfect Zelda gba for €50 too if anyones interested. And also they have a boxed purple gba for €12 fully working and a silver sp but that was broken.
    Also got Yoshi&Mario for gb, have no idea what that game is like... I'm pleased as punch with my purchase!
    I will upload some pics if you guys want me too later on?

Went into 3D games too and got Nes classic Boomerman boxed for €3.99(never played it...), asked for a gba and it was €29.99! also boxed. No thanks lol.

So my next plan is to get all Zelda gb/gba games over the next few weeks.
    What other 'great' games would you guys recommend me to get my libary off the ground?
    Also are the batterys in gb/gba games kinda dead at this stage of the game?

the Differences between Rage and 3D games are just stunning, Rage has a tonnes of great games all of them cheap to reasonable and the guys there are all well cool. thon other place is mostly tat and 2 or 3 times the price of Rage, its a bit mad really.

Discovered to my horror yesterday that the battery in my Super Mario World GBA cart is gone, meaning that I have to start all over again, am raging as was was more than half way through with about 50 levels completed so be careful. Am bricking it now about my Zelda save.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Paid my first visit to RAGE on Fade Street today. Seems like a good spot for retro finds although stock seemed a bit limited. I'll definitely go back though.

Also dropped in to a place called 3D Games on Grafton Street which had a lot of good stuff in, although they were dreaming on some of the prices.

Finally stopped in to Gamestop on Henry Street and nabbed a Hori EX2 Fighter Stick for my XBOX 360 for a cheeky €29.99 (new, not used). Picked up Mushihimesama Futari 1.5 (Platinum Collection) from Play Asia for an equally handsome €27.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Just back from the RAGE myself, ran in at lunch to pick up Super Metroid.

As for GBA games, I've been collecting them for a few years, though I have a rule that I'm not using ebay etc (maybe adverts though!). Astro Boy is the only game I want that's eluded me up until now, managed to pick up all three Castlevania games in various gamestops in the states, along with the double pack one, which as retr0 said is far more common. The Metroid games are also a must, as are the Golden Sunm Final Fantasy and Pokemon games if you like rpgs. A lot of great strategy rpg games too, such as Tactics Ogre, Riveria (not sure if you'd class this as an SRPG though), Fire Emblem, Yggdra Union, Advance Wars etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭DazzlerIE

Funny you guys should mention that 3D shop, I noticed he was selling FF7 for 65 EURO! on Saturday, so asked him how much he'd buy my copies of FF7 and 8 for

15 quid each

I hope he was joking

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I wouldnt even bother with that shop, the prices are a joke. The guy obviously hasnt got a clue. The last time i was in there he had a super nintendo unboxed for some ridiculous price. It was that yellow it looked like someone had actually smoked it!

keithgeo wrote: »
    I wouldnt even bother with that shop, the prices are a joke. The guy obviously hasnt got a clue. The last time i was in there he had a super nintendo unboxed for some ridiculous price. It was that yellow it looked like someone had actually smoked it!

I saw used copies of Alan Wake in there for €34.99. You can buy it new and sealed on Amazon for £8.99 for crying out loud!

I did see that FFVII at the counter today for €65. It took me by surprise too.

Nobody has any Japanese Saturn consoles! Even RAGE only had two Saturn games in today. :(

Got another copy of Sonic 2 for my MD today.
    I gave my previous copy to a colleague after she finished in my unit today, I had sold her a MD plus Sonic and she became addicted!
    So I decided, as she became such a boon to the ward, I'd give her a little gift she'd appreciate.

I also know what filthy minds you lot have and how you are going to misquote me, so work away!

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    after she finished in my unit

Giggidy :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Schorpio

The crap shop in Dublin sounds exactly like the crap retro shop we have in Cork too. Everything is ridiculously priced and way cheaper to get online. And we don't even have a RAGE to go to......:(

Oh, and on a side note, all the talk of gameboy pockets in this thread made me procrastinate and dig out my old translucent one. Hadn't played it in years as I usually just one of my gameboy colours, but I lobbed a few triple A's in and away she went. :) The back battery cover has apparently gone walkies tho, so not all good..... :(

Just got Braid for the 360 for the princely sum of 400 ms points, not too shabby.
    A nice companion piece for Limbo.
    Must get Mutant Storm Empire at some stage, really enjoyed the last one.

Just got Braid for the 360 for the princely sum of 400 ms points, not too shabby.
    Must get Mutant Storm Empire at some stage, really enjoyed the last one.

Nice. I'm waiting for Limbo to drop to 600 MSP on Friday, love the demo of it. Picked up Final Fight on XBLA for 400 MSP last night though and demo's of Mega Man 10 and Marvel vs Capcom 2. Didn't really like those though.

However what I did love (and have RSI today from) is Guwange that I nabbed for a wholesome 800 MSP, and worth every last cent it is too!

Got to give my Hori EX2 a proper workout last night with Guwange, Deathsmiles MBL, Triggerheart Excelica and Strania. I've never used one of those arcade sticks on a console before and it improved my game dramatically for these titles. I am besotted with my purchase!

It could get out of hand though, I'm already looking at mod forums and super pricey TE sticks and customizations. I can see it now, I'll have an arcade stick on par with Bill Murray's rose bowling ball in Kingpin before long! :D

edit: Oh and I stumbled across this today too, so my EX2 (and myself) are having cold sweats at the prospect!

http://blog.pikimal.com/geek/2011/02/19/cave-announces-three-new-xbla-games-all-very-japanese/

Limbo is the companion piece. Braid is a far far superior game.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Limbo is the companion piece. Braid is a far far superior game.

I confess to knowing absolutely zip about Braid. Is it worthing getting while on discount?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement