Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dublin reg's - why no DN?

• 17-06-2009 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭

Quick question as I've often pondered..

Waterford has W for city and WD for county. Similarly, Limerick has L and LK.

Dublin, though much larger, has only D. Same for Cork, only C.

Why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭high horse

Don't forget TN and TS for north and south Tipp. Don't really have an answer as to why though...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

......When was anything ever done sensibly in this country?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Could you imaging the die hard south siders ever driving a DN car?:rolleyes:

Actually, i guess those same people wouldn't be going near second hand cars anyway, would they?:p

• Registered Users Posts: 21,412 ✭✭✭✭Alun

CianRyan wrote: »
    Could you imaging the die hard south siders ever driving a DN car?
    Not to mention the interminable arguments as to where exactly this mythical North / South divide should be, exactly.

Alun wrote: »
    Not to mention the interminable arguments as to where exactly this mythical North / South divide should be, exactly.

It's the Liffy, mate.:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

I see what you mean, DN could mean Dublin North, as well as Dublin county. But they could use another letter..

Ok, how about Cork then - they could use CK for Cork county, no?

I just wonder why Waterford, Limerick and Tipperary are the only counties in Ireland who have more than one assigned reg letter(s) per county.

I.E., why only G for Galway city and county.. no GY for county Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

benifa wrote: »
    I see what you mean, DN could mean Dublin North, as well as Dublin county. But they could use another letter..

I just wonder why Waterford, Limerick and Tipperary are the only counties in Ireland who have more than one assigned reg letter(s) per county.

I.E., why only G for Galway city and county.. no GY for county Galway.

I refer you again to post no.3 above :D

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭speedfreak

I remember reading something a while ago about each Dublin council area having their own reg. But that could have been on April 1...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,436 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Wasn't it done this way due to county councils?

speedfreak wrote: »
    I remember reading something a while ago about each Dublin council area having their own reg. But that could have been on April 1...

No, i remember hear that as well.
    It started getting a bit confusing, they might have scrapped it.

• Advertisement

Dublin reg's can be loooong. I'm sure I've seen some with 6 numbers after the D :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

CK-1 for the fragrance lover.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭high horse

Heroditas wrote: »
    Wasn't it done this way due to county councils?

But cork has a county council (for the county) and a city corporation (for the city) and just one letter on the reg plate...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

There should be a special D4 reg. would be very useful on the days i'm pissed off and just feel the need to destroy something

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

towel401 wrote: »
    There should be a special D4 reg. would be very useful on the days i'm pissed off and just feel the need to destroy something

Only Available at Range Rover, Jaguar, Mercedez, Bentley and BMW dealerships

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Never mind DN and DS plates, imagine the rows over DE and DW plates?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

You could have "Cork Upper Near Tipperary."..............:eek::D:D:D

I'm soooo sorry..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Dublin reg's can be loooong. I'm sure I've seen some with 6 numbers after the D :eek:

Not gonna happen this year dude! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

Someone mentioned the reg plate, afaik the fact that you'd have 2 numbers, 2 letters and possible 6 numbers (which you had a few years ago) would make the numbers too small to adhere to revenue spec on num plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

There's only a road tax dept in Dublin city, none in Fingal, same as there's no place in Fingal to buy a driving license. I imagine SDCoCo and DLRCoCo are the same.

I'd say Limerick,Waherford etc have seperate city and county places for this. Like Dungarvan and Waterford city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

How reliable this is I don't know but plans are for FL, SN and DR plates

http://www.wolfbane.com/vreg.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

Quick question as I've often pondered..

Waterford has W for city and WD for county. Similarly, Limerick has L and LK.

Dublin, though much larger, has only D. Same for Cork, only C.

Why?

If a county is the only one that begins with its particular initial, as in "Cork" then it is assigned that initial. However, where some counties share the same initial, as in "Dublin" and "Donegal" then the greater area in council and population terms is applied the initial letter, so Dublin = D and Donegal = DL. Also as in "Waterford" or "Wicklow"" then the first and last letters are used, in order to differentiate, ie WD and WW. If they share both initials and last letters then they pick the first and last of one, and the first and middle or thereabouts of the other, as in Waterford =WD and Wexford =WX.
    TN and TS are for Tipperary North Riding and South Riding, two distinctly different council and geographic zones.

C County Cork
    CE County Clare
    CK County Cork (planned)
    CN County Cavan
    CW County Carlow
    D County Dublin
    DL County Donegal
    DR Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown (planned)
    G County Galway
    GY County Galway (planned)
    FL Fingal (planned)
    KE County Kildare
    KK County Kilkenny
    KY County Kerry
    L Limerick City
    LD County Longford
    LH County Louth
    LK County Limerick
    LM County Leitrim
    LS County Laois
    MH County Meath
    MN County Monaghan
    MO County Mayo
    OY County Offaly
    RN County Roscommon
    SN South Dublin (planned)
    SO County Sligo
    TN County Tipperary (North)
    TS County Tipperary (South)
    W Waterford City
    WD County Waterford
    WH County Westmeath
    WW County Wicklow
    WX County Wexford
    ZV (first registration of vehicle older than 30 years)
    ZZ (temporary import)

sogood wrote: »
    If a county is the only one that begins with its particular initial, as in "Cork" then it is assigned that initial.

Maybe the rule is "If the county has a city then the the initial can be used for both city and county".

eg.
    D - Dublin city and county
    C - Cork city and county
    L - Limerick city
    G - Galway city and county
    W - Waterford city

sogood wrote: »
    If a county is the only one that begins with its particular initial, as in "Cork" then it is assigned that initial. However, where some counties share the same initial, as in "Dublin" and "Donegal" then the greater area in council and population terms is applied the initial letter, so Dublin = D and Donegal = DL. Also as in "Waterford" or "Wicklow"" then the first and last letters are used, in order to differentiate, ie WD and WW. If they share both initials and last letters then they pick the first and last of one, and the first and middle or thereabouts of the other, as in Waterford =WD and Wexford =WX.
    TN and TS are for Tipperary North Riding and South Riding, two distinctly different council and geographic zones.

Thanks man, but you've missed the point.

I'm referring to some counties having 2 reg codes assigned, specifically, in Waterford, Limerick (one for county, one for city) and Tipperary (one for North, one for South) - whereas every other county has only one.

robbie99 wrote: »
    Maybe the rule is "If the county has a city then the the initial can be used for both city and county".

eg.
    D - Dublin city and county
    C - Cork city and county
    L - Limerick city
    G - Galway city and county
    W - Waterford city

How can that logic work when Limerick and Waterford both have separate reg codes for their cities / counties?

How can that logic work when Limerick and Waterford both have separate reg codes for their cities / counties?

The logic works because I used the word 'can' rather than 'shall'. :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Limerick and Waterford have separate registering authorities for the city and the county and always did; the others didn't in 1987. They may do now but no new letters have been issued. Simple as that....

Except Dublin had City/County ones separated on the old system. They might have held off knowing the county was being imminently split and just haven't sorted it out yet. And so did Cork, and its not got a split.

I think the "why no DN?" can be answered with "This is Ireland." as a non-explaining answer. Nobody knows for sure, nobody can know for sure.

MYOB wrote: »
    Limerick and Waterford have separate registering authorities for the city and the county and always did; the others didn't in 1987. They may do now but no new letters have been issued. Simple as that....

Except Dublin had City/County ones separated on the old system. They might have held off knowing the county was being imminently split and just haven't sorted it out yet. And so did Cork, and its not got a split.

I think the "why no DN?" can be answered with "This is Ireland." as a non-explaining answer. Nobody knows for sure, nobody can know for sure.

Looking at the codes that existed pre 1987, Limerick and Waterford always had separate codes for city and county. Cork had separate codes until August 1985 when city and county codes were merged. Dublin had separate codes until city and county codes merged in 1952. I don't think there was ever a distinction between Galway city and council. Tipperary South and North were always distinct.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_vehicle_registration_plates

When the new format came into being in 1987 it looks like they simply carried on as before (geographically and administratively) but changed the actual codes and format.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ah, I wasn't aware the Dublin/Cork codes had merged. Galway didn't get its county borough status back until the mid/late 80s, it was a city in name only for a very long time. I'd presume this is why it had no codes of its own.

Advertisement