Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

washing recyclables?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Grawns wrote: »
    Still am going to buy one and hope it will pay for itself inside a few months. ;)
    Step ladder, a pair of legs and a few jumps will get you sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

beazee wrote: »
    Step ladder, a pair of legs and a few jumps will get you sorted.

Sorted into hospital :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Grawns wrote: »
    Hmmm...
    I'm more concerned about the yogurt pot!
    I bin them; too hard to clean out. Also marmalade jars.
    Our recyclables only get taken to the centre about once a month, and then only if passing the place on other business, so they have to be clean and dry to avoid stinky smells.

Here's how I deal with tetra-paks. After pouring out the last bit, hold it on its side and cut off one of the bottom corners with a sharp knife. Then pour out some more juice/milk through the new hole. Its surprising how much extra there is.
    This also makes rinsing easier; let a small amount of tapwater in at the top, and shake the tetra-pak with thumb covering the new hole, then release the water out the bottom. Repeat 2 or 3 times until water runs clear. Then slash the side open with the knife to allow it to dry out. Throw into your recycling box, squash down the pile later, when they have dried out and more space is needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

How on earth are marmalade jars and yogurt pots too hard to clean out? :confused:

It takes more than a quick cold water rinse.

• Advertisement

recedite wrote: »
    It takes more than a quick cold water rinse.

Do them in the washing up bowl when you're finished. If you're using a dishwasher, wash the jars and pots in a bowl of warm soapy water. As for putting marmalade pots and yogurt cartons in the rubbish....Why are you recycling in the first place, is it to save money or the planet? If the former, why are you posting in this forum? If the latter, it only takes a tiny effort to do your bit and I can't understand your problem.

It's the original point made by the OP. Is it environmentally friendly to run the hot water especially to wash a yogurt pot?
    I don't think so. Its like driving to the recycling centre with one item.
    Bear in mind, a yogurt pot is too light to go in the dishwasher; they get catapulted around inside. Also, to get hot water, most people have to leave the hot tap running for a short time before it gets fully hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Why are you recycling in the first place, is it to save money or the planet? If the former, why are you posting in this forum?
    [MOD] Because it's a public forum, open to all, regardless of their motivation. [/MOD]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

try to eat every last of bit of yogurt out of the pot. I rarely eat yogurt but I always scrape out as much yogurt as I can. and use a sponge when rinsing them. I see my partners "finished" pots of yogurt with another 2-3 spoonfuls of yogurt left in them. these are hard to clean.
    I try to keep washing of recycling down to minimum - a quick rinse is max I'd do but for some items I skip that altogether.

Was told at the Bray recycling plant that they will no longer be taking plastic milkbottles or tetrapaks because people weren't rinsing them out properly. The smell and the unhygienic conditions over the summer got too bad for the various handlers along the chain.

This news means that even responsible people like myself will have to go back to throwing recyclables in the bin :mad:

So if you are one of those people who thinks "ah sure they do all that washing down at the plant, why should I bother"..... mend your ways before you lose your local facility too.
    Important Notice Re Recycling Centres

Wicklow County Council wishes to advise members of the public that the certain waste materials will no longer be accepted at its Recycling Centres in Arklow, Avoca, Bray, Rampere (Baltinglass) and Wicklow and the Community Centre in Tinahely with effect from Monday 12th August 2013.
    The waste materials affected are:
    Soft plastic / plastic film / plastic bags / Tetrapak
    Wicklow County Council is unable to find recycling outlets for these waste materials anymore and existing stocks at the facilities will have to be sent either to landfi ll or to incinerators for use as a fuel.
    website source

• Advertisement

recedite wrote: »
    Was told at the Bray recycling plant that they will no longer be taking plastic milkbottles or tetrapaks because people weren't rinsing them out properly. The smell and the unhygienic conditions over the summer got too bad for the various handlers along the chain.

This news means that even responsible people like myself will have to go back to throwing recyclables in the bin :mad:

So if you are one of those people who thinks "ah sure they do all that washing down at the plant, why should I bother"..... mend your ways before you lose your local facility too.

website source

The reason given for no longer taking Tetrapak - according to what you posted - is different from what you were told at the Bray plant then. :confused:

It all comes back to the fact that there's too much packaging being generated and not enough uses for the recycled product - much the same as the problem with green glass. The answer - back to glass containers with deposits?

A guy at the depot said the stuff wasn't clean enough.
    I'm guessing that some private company was purchasing the material on the basis that it was all clean, dry and pre-sorted. Most of it was in fact delivered to the depot in that condition by the consumer.

There is no doubt that the more it costs a private company to sort and process something for recycling, the less likely it is that the recycling will occur.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 envaction

I think that just a quick rinse would be okay. I can't imagine that you would waste that much water that way. Or if you're done doing dishes, I would say that you could just use that water because it's still good water. But I'm sure that you don't have to wash them out if you don't want to.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

[mod] Old thread. Closed. [/mod]

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement