Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smartphone fire hazard

• 14-08-2012 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I like to post an instance that occurred since back in March. On a Sunday morning, I plugged in the micro USB to a Nokia E7-00 I got since Oct. 2011 to start my routine e-mail checking. About 2minutes later when I touch the micro USB plu on the phone, it was boiling hot! Facing this abnormal temperature, I immediately unplug the mciro USB from the phone. Guess what! The micro USB cable socket and the socket on the phone start to burn! Inexperienced with such an emergency situation, I put out the fire with my own finger! (So, hospital I went, of course! Yet, the pain caused by the burn discouraged me from using any keyboard for 2 weeks!)

What happen next is the painful procedure dealing with the phone maker:
    NoKIA. (by the way, sounds like: (NoCare))
    As a consumer, I repeated points out to NoKIA that I am so lucky for:
    1. It did not happen after I plug in for charging when I go to bed one night before!!
    (I told NoKIA that I believe, if that is the case, mine & my family member's life is in very high risk, my house (and my family member’s belongings) would have been burn down due to the Li battery energy ! (Or even more serious casualties of my neighbors, since I am living in a high rise building! As everybody is sleeping & dreaming!)
    2. That I check the connection on that particular morning, otherwise, who knows what will happen when the Li battery explode!
    So, I request to NoKIA that the phone and the USB cable should be send to an independent third party for checking the cause. I believe any consumer will have made similar request since it is I who will be facing the uncertainty risk of burning my house and injuring my family member, if simple repair without knowing the REAL cause!
    BUT, NoKIA just insisted that the phone and cable can only be send to their R&D for checking!! (Even after I ask Taipei City Office of Commerce & Consumer Ombudsman Officer to handle the complaint I filled!)

Anyway, for those who also use NoKIA E7, please be ware of such instance and be careful before you really asleep!! (IMEI can be provided if anyone want it.)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Omik Z T wrote: »
    I like to post an instance that occurred since back in March. On a Sunday morning, I plugged in the micro USB to a Nokia E7-00 I got since Oct. 2011 to start my routine e-mail checking. About 2minutes later when I touch the micro USB plu on the phone, it was boiling hot! Facing this abnormal temperature, I immediately unplug the mciro USB from the phone. Guess what! The micro USB cable socket and the socket on the phone start to burn! Inexperienced with such an emergency situation, I put out the fire with my own finger! (So, hospital I went, of course! Yet, the pain caused by the burn discouraged me from using any keyboard for 2 weeks!)

What happen next is the painful procedure dealing with the phone maker:
    NoKIA. (by the way, sounds like: (NoCare))
    As a consumer, I repeated points out to NoKIA that I am so lucky for:
    1. It did not happen after I plug in for charging when I go to bed one night before!!
    (I told NoKIA that I believe, if that is the case, mine & my family member's life is in very high risk, my house (and my family member’s belongings) would have been burn down due to the Li battery energy ! (Or even more serious casualties of my neighbors, since I am living in a high rise building! As everybody is sleeping & dreaming!)
    2. That I check the connection on that particular morning, otherwise, who knows what will happen when the Li battery explode!
    So, I request to NoKIA that the phone and the USB cable should be send to an independent third party for checking the cause. I believe any consumer will have made similar request since it is I who will be facing the uncertainty risk of burning my house and injuring my family member, if simple repair without knowing the REAL cause!
    BUT, NoKIA just insisted that the phone and cable can only be send to their R&D for checking!! (Even after I ask Taipei City Office of Commerce & Consumer Ombudsman Officer to handle the complaint I filled!)

Anyway, for those who also use NoKIA E7, please be ware of such instance and be careful before you really asleep!! (IMEI can be provided if anyone want it.)
    This is clearly a product liability case and Nokia would have handled it as such. They should be given the opportunity to inspect their product before any third party tampers with any evidence of malfunctions.

This doesn't add up. Why are we hearing about this on an irish forum site 5 months after the incident took place?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭danwhite88

I've got the Samsung galaxy s2 and occasionally it would get really hot. This morning I woke up with the phone boiling. It had been on charge throughout the night. Quite scary to think it could catch fire while sleeping. Wont be able to sleep tonight.

danwhite88 wrote: »
    I've got the Samsung galaxy s2 and occasionally it would get really hot. This morning I woke up with the phone boiling. It had been on charge throughout the night. Quite scary to think it could catch fire while sleeping. Wont be able to sleep tonight.
    I've got the galaxy note and it does the same, around and below the camera. The processors are similar and its normal enough. Though but for piece of mind, exit all running applications before you put it into charge over night

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

Some things to consider

what was the phone plugged into
    - laptop via supplied Nokia USB - microUSB cable
    - laptop via cheapest USB cable available on ebay
    - psu as supplied by nokia
    - cheap psu from hong kong / ebay with usb output (and maybe dodgy voltage regulation)

was the battery
    - correct nokia battery (or approved equivalant)
    - ebay copy (allegedly with greater capacity)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Omik Z T

Debriefing as followings:
    1. The reason for big timing lag between posting and when it happen:
    (1) for the past couple months, I try to deal with it through all "consumer complain" channel legally available;
    (2) I learn boards.ie from an old magazine that reported the previous bogus Samsung instance couple weeks ago in a MacDonald;
    (3) I just finished disappointing meeting NoKIA rep in Aug. 6th before the TPE city officer, Mr. Chiu, that handles consumer complaint;
    2. All the cable, power accessories are NoKIA's original products that comed with the NoKIA phone package. The E7 is connected to desktop PC USB through NoKI's USB cable as I start to go on Internet for e-mail checking & browsing since I now only use phone as the Internet connecting modem; (by the way, E7's battey is a build-in and cannot be removed just like APPLE's.)
    3. It is different from the high temperature caused by normal battery charging as the phone is actually on fire.

• Advertisement

Omik Z T wrote: »
    Debriefing as followings:
    1. The reason for big timing lag between posting and when it happen:
    (1) for the past couple months, I try to deal with it through all "consumer complain" channel legally available;
    (2) I learn boards.ie from an old magazine that reported the previous bogus Samsung instance couple weeks ago in a MacDonald;
    (3) I just finished disappointing meeting NoKIA rep in Aug. 6th before the TPE city officer, Mr. Chiu, that handles consumer complaint;
    2. All the cable, power accessories are NoKIA's original products that comed with the NoKIA phone package. The E7 is connected to desktop PC USB through NoKI's USB cable as I start to go on Internet for e-mail checking & browsing since I now only use phone as the Internet connecting modem; (by the way, E7's battey is a build-in and cannot be removed just like APPLE's.)
    3. It is different from the high temperature caused by normal battery charging as the phone is actually on fire.

What is your objective? Are you looking for nokia to replace the phone? Clearly things have moved forward a bit if you are having meetings with Nokia's rep. What is the purpose of posting on here if you are discussing the case with them?

Anyway, I don't think you will find much help on here as it has legal implications under product liability law - but I don't know the situation in Taipei.

If I were you, I'd seek legal advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

You need to send the story and photos of the damage to the media. That will get their attention! Someone on boards did the same with their SGIII

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Galaxy-SII-explode-catch-fire-melt-overheat,16112.html

http://global.samsungtomorrow.com/?p=16161

BostonB wrote: »
    You need to send the story and photos of the damage to the media. That will get their attention! Someone on boards did the same with their SGIII

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Galaxy-SII-explode-catch-fire-melt-overheat,16112.html

http://global.samsungtomorrow.com/?p=16161

Did you actually read the second link before posting it?

Why else would I post it? The point is it got media attention. If you're looking for attention and not be fobbed off thats the way to do it. This guy wants them to get it tested. The link is exactly that. It got tested.

BostonB wrote: »
    Why else would I post it? The point is it got media attention. If you're looking for attention and not be fobbed off thats the way to do it. This guy wants them to get it tested. The link is exactly that. It got tested.
    Nokia have offered to test it but its going on 5 months! No way it would take that long if the OP had given it to them and all was above board. Thats why Im calling shenanigans on this.

• Advertisement

Oh I agree with you it makes no sense to do it now.

If he has the courage of his conviction he'll go some other way instead of wasting everyone's time on a forum.. Like the media. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Omik Z T

I understand your points!
    I will no longer post further thread.

I insist first sending the phone to third party not NoKIA
    as the parts will be dismantled and no checking can be done
    after NoKIA checking. (this causes delay)

The purpose for posting in to
    let such possible fire hazard be
    known to all mobile user.

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR TIME!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I had an incident with a laptop charger / battery. So, I now always charge my phone in a large fruit bowl. I reckon that if it went on fire, at least it wouldn't actually do any damage other than to itself.

Advertisement