Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horrific Footage of Homeless Schizophrenic beaten by cops

• 09-05-2012 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Didn't see a thread on this. Somebody sent me this link. At one point he's crying for his daddy.* WARNING DISTURBING STUFF*
    http://gawker.com/5908532/horrific-footage-of-mentally-ill-homeless-mans-fatal-police-beating-surfaces-online
    On July 5th, 2011, a 37-year-old schizophrenic homeless man from Fullerton, California, named Kelly Thomas was beaten to within an inch of his life by several Fullerton Police Department officers.
    He passed away five days later, shortly after being taken off life support.
    The Orange County Coroner determined that injuries he sustained during the beating, as well as the "mechanical chest compression" which took place during the altercation, were directly responsible for Thomas's demise.
    Out of the six officers involved in the incident, only two were charged with crimes: Officer Manuel Ramos (second-degree murder and involuntary manslaughter), and Corporal Jay Cicinelli (involuntary manslaughter and excessive force).
    Despite allegations that Thomas was uncooperative and combative, surveillance footage shown for the first time at yesterday's preliminary hearing proves these claims are grossly inaccurate (beating starts at 15:20).
    Further, paramedics who arrived on the scene stopped first to treat minor scratches and bruises sustained by the officers before turning their attention to an unconscious Thomas who was bleeding — literally — to death on the ground.
    According to the testimony of Fullerton Fire Department paramedic Ron Stancyk, this was at the request of the officers.
    The hearing to determine if sufficient evidence exists for a trial continues today.
    And here's what they actually did to his face. *WARNING GRAPHIC PHOTO* <snip>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

What is it with American cops and police brutality? There's some absolute scum in the American police force.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

What is it with American cops and police brutality? There's some absolute scum in the American police force.

The video is absoloutely harrowing. They were obviously spoiling for a fight. The poor guy didn't stand a chance. Scum indeed:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 41 kyle123

makes me sick but theres so many sick people out there. if u think this is bad look up little girl run over and left in china. she is knocked down and left and several people and cars drive by and just leave her. its just insane

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Absolute scum. They should get life for that.

kyle123 wrote: »
    makes me sick but theres so many sick people out there. if u think this is bad look up little girl run over and left in china. she is knocked down and left and several people and cars drive by and just leave her. its just insane

Yea seen that too. As a mother of a toddler that stayed with me for a long time. Poor child:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭pushki

I can't even bring myself to look at those links, sick that there is people out there like that! just discusting :-(

pushki wrote: »
    I can't even bring myself to look at those links, sick that there is people out there like that! just discusting :-(

Yea I'd be quite de-sensitised at this stage but this made me sick especially when he was shouting 'DADDY THEY'RE KILLING ME' as they were beating him. Hope they throw the book at them scumbags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

The guy wasnt beaten to within an inch of his life, he was beaten to death.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Kelly_Thomas
    Decades of society frowning upon any questioning of law enforcement has resulted in Police being untouchable over there. A police force is a neccessary evil and should be answerable to the people it is supposed to protect, that is not the case in the US. Its going the same way elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

I'm literally sickened to my stomach watching that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

'I CAN'T BREATHE'

'I'M SORRY, DUDE'

'I CAN'T BREATHE, MAN'

Big fucking bullies killed a down-and-out. Ye brave men, ye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

The officers involved were charged. I'm not sure what the point is in releasing the footage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

The officers involved were charged.

They will be released within a few years. I have no confidence that justice will be done here.

The officers involved were charged. I'm not sure what the point is in releasing the footage.

To show what sort of scum they are letting into the police force? They should all be charged.

To show other dumb fuckers how not to do it they're arresting people?

Only two were charged.

Officer Manuel Ramos has been charged with second-degree murder and involuntary manslaughter in connection with the beating of 37-year-old Kelly Thomas, a homeless schizophrenic man. Officer Jay Cicinelli has been charged with involuntary manslaughter and excessive use of force.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2011/09/da-announces-kelly-thomas-murder-charges.html

Most they will do is a couple of years, if at all.

To show other dumb fuckers how not to do it they're arresting people?

As a training video? That has to be put on youtube? I've no great love for the scumbags who perpetrated the act but it's not as if no action has been taken. I'd be curious too if the paramedics in the case were culpable in any way.

As a training video?
    It was recorded by public CCTV and is being used as part of the record in a public trial, of course its going to be released. You arent seriously advocating allowing the state to withhold video of police murdering people on the street are you?

CiaranC wrote: »
    It was recorded by public CCTV and is being used as part of the record in a public trial, of course its going to be released. You arent seriously advocating allowing the state to withhold video of police murdering people on the street are you?

Yeah that's exactly what I meant. :rolleyes:

As a training video?

I can't figure out what issue you have with the video being released?

The police were public servants tasked with protecting the public and instead they kill an non-threatening and vulnerable member of the public. They are paid from the public purse.

One of the great things about the prevalence of cheap and plentiful video recording equipment is that we get to see the world as it really is rather than how those who shape the narrative would have us believe - this is especially useful when it involves abuse of power.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

Hopefully, it may generate enough public outrage,anger and revulsion to put pressure on the judge to hand down proper and adequate sentences in the event of conviction, than may have been handed down otherwise.... although I wouldn't hold my breath.

• Advertisement

They need a serious look at their law enforcement system in that ****hole of a country. Between that and what they laughingly call their justice system you might as well be in Russia.

I can't figure out what issue you have with the video being released?

If people have been charged and it's an on-going case I'm not sure what purpose it serves to release the footage to the wider public other than to raise public hackles. I'm not in general against publically filmed footage being given a wider release but a few things bother me in this case.

Nobody on boards.ie (or any other internet community that isn't in the jurisdiction) can influence the outcome of the case, or (unless they live in that jurisdiction) will be significantly impacted by its outcome. Public servants of course should be held accountable for their actions but in this case I think they have been. Beyond that you get internet mob justice and/or ghoulish titilation of looking at footage of a man being beaten to within an inch of his life.

If people have been charged and it's an on-going case I'm not sure what purpose it serves to release the footage to the wider public
    Eh? Its public property being used in a trial in open court. What are you talking about?
    Public servants of course should be held accountable for their actions but in this case I think they have been.
    They havent been convicted yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭le la rat

Sickening stuff. Hitting him with a torch poor man

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

"Look at this face, it's getting ready to **** you up"

That's second degree murder? What the actual fcuk. I really hope that that officer is put into General Population. He should have been charged with first degree murder and have the death penalty imposed. He tried to commit a murder by hiding behind a badge, he is one sick individual.

CiaranC wrote: »
    They havent been convicted yet.

OK, will your internet outrage in anyway impact the conviction or lack thereof?

OK, will your internet outrage in anyway impact the conviction or lack thereof?

It's probably not going to impact any conviction but it needs to be put out there so people know what sort of sick fcuks are out there wearing uniforms. Also if it stops some other power mad copper beating an innocent to death I'm all for it being made public. A lot of people probably wouldn't believe it actually happened if they don't see it with their own eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

This kind of tape needs to be released so cops realise they can be watched anywhere by anyone and not even know it so they might act in a diligent and appropriate manner.

Most cops would never do what those guys did, but I do believe the majority would stand aside and watch, let it go on, as boondock saints said; We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

There were 6 cops on the scene and none of them stopped it. That is just as disgusting as the murder itself.

This kind of tape needs to be released so cops realise they can be watched anywhere by anyone and not even know it so they might act in a diligent and appropriate manner.

Most cops would never do what those guys did, but I do believe the majority would stand aside and watch, let it go on, as boondock saints said; We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

There were 6 cops on the scene and none of them stopped it. That is just as disgusting as the murder itself.

Nos vigilate vigilum!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

ziggy23 wrote: »
    Didn't see a thread on this. Somebody sent me this link. At one point he's crying for his daddy.* WARNING DISTURBING STUFF*
    http://gawker.com/5908532/horrific-footage-of-mentally-ill-homeless-mans-fatal-police-beating-surfaces-online

And here's what they actually did to his face. *WARNING GRAPHIC PHOTO* <snip>

Coincidentally, I posted giving out about the gardai in another thread.

Anyway for people who think that this story would never happen in Ireland you are probably correct......Mainly because there probably wouldn't be any CCTV footage captured or it'd be destroyed

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/1107/breaking38.html

Advertisement