Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Giants Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I've not seen much of Floyd but from what I've read and heard he strikes me as a bigger gamble than Jack is. Doesn't seem to have a natural home in a 4-3 system.

Yea looks to be more a 3-4 fit at OLB for me but he has been touted to us quite a bit it seems. He won't need to be an every down player this year, could come in and play maybe 30-40% of the snaps in a type of Nascar package we used to run when we had that really strong rush. Lawson would be a much better fit both short and long term IMO.

Could see Floyd a bit like Irvin was at Seattle, being OK but never really fitting and not lasting past that 1st contract.

Unsurprisingly the Giants have taken up the 5th year option on Justin Pugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Fox are reporting that we like both of these players at no 10

Leonard Floyd
    Jack Conklin

Fox are reporting that we like both of these players at no 10

Leonard Floyd
    Jack Conklin

The Floyd one is coming from everywhere, is this a smoke screen or a real interest in the guy? As has been pointed out he doesn't have a home in our D.

I love Conklin (way more than Tunsil). He is a tough SOB and would be a great RT long term. Think we all agree that we can't see Giants going o-line early again.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Floyd rumours comes from Jerry Reese being at his pro day. Same pattern as Flowers, Odell and Pugh, I believe.

Conklin I would take over Stanley, for sure. Definitely rawer in technique, but my God, is he an aggressive, physical fecker. Could end up a guard, however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭tgdaly

Ha, I seen a mock draft there now that has Jack falling to us a 10. Highly unlikely but we can dream!! http://walterfootball.com/draft2016.php

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I'm not sure it is unlikely. A lot of the noises are that teams above us are worried and the higher up you go the better the alternatives and the more likely they are to pass.

If Jack falls to 10 and we go with someone else I don't know how I'll get any sleep that night :(

If Jack falls to 10 and we take him, I don't know how I'll get any sleep that night :(

FYP, his knee has got to be a real worry.

HigginsJ wrote: »
    FYP, his knee has got to be a real worry.

Exactly so we need to avoid him all day for me

Exactly so we need to avoid him all day for me

Yea I think we stay well clear

• Advertisement

I don't agree. Let's be honest - none of us have seen the report and I assume that none of us are Doctors. My understanding though is that this is a potential long-term injury which could shorten his career - in several years time. Show me a player in the draft who you can guarantee will sign a second contract.

He is the best player available in a position of need. It's a no-brainier to me. We shall see.

I don't agree. Let's be honest - none of us have seen the report and I assume that none of us are Doctors. My understanding though is that this is a potential long-term injury which could shorten his career - in several years time. Show me a player in the draft who you can guarantee will sign a second contract.

He is the best player available in a position of need. It's a no-brainier to me. We shall see.

Totally agree it's guess work but you limit your risk as much as possible.

Not too familiar with Gary Myers but seems to be well thought of. He is reporting Giants will go with best OT (they expect it to be Conklin) at 10 rather than Floyd.

Conklin is also Mayocks pick.

I think they think that Floyd doesn't make it to 10 now all the Jack knee talk is coming out. There's a definite need on the right side of the line but I'd much prefer a playmaker on Defense.

Right whoever we pick I'm going to try to not moan about. I've woken up with a sudden feeling that we should draft Shaq Lawson but whoever! Welcome Eliiot/Floyd/Conklin/whoevs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Just watched the draft up to our pick

I really hope Jerry Reach is right

Must watch some tape on the kid but it's not good when Mayock mentions lack of experience and bad tape

Reach can spare me the best player available BS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Another reach by JR. Howpfully this kid will turn out to be good for us but from the limited tape I've seen, he doesn't impress me at all. Should of really traded back and gotten more value.

You can only trade back if you have a partner to trade back with. Elliot going at 4 and then Jack & Tunsil falling really cost the Giants.

I don't think its fair to call it a reach though. Giants went Best-Player-Available (minus those with flags) and stuck to their board. You can argue with the assessment but you've no idea who else had Apple high and where you'd need to drop back to to get him.

Had it been Hargreaves who got the pick I don't think it would have attracted the same criticism and Reese & McAdoo both made clear that they feel that Apple is the better player of the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭boccy23

glued wrote: »
    Another reach by JR. Howpfully this kid will turn out to be good for us but from the limited tape I've seen, he doesn't impress me at all. Should of really traded back and gotten more value.

Read today that JR has never traded back - never. In 67 picks he has done as a GM, he has never moved back. We do what we always do. Stick and hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

There was only 1 trade offer, apparently, and it wasn't a good one.

Be interested to see how we go in Round 2 now. Someone like Jack, or even Reggie Ragland, could peak interest, or perhaps trying to sort that right side of the OL.

• Advertisement

I think they go WR and someone who can play that right side of the OL that you mention.

Personally I'd love us to take Jack in round two and the best pass rusher available round three but I'm not going to beat myself up over Jack again. I've come to terms with him being a Pro-Bowler somewhere else.

I honestly don't know how I feel about that pick

Fair enough things ahead of us didn't fall into place so I'm willing to accept the Apple pick

Reese has to be gone if it doesn't work out

I watched the draft on fast forward this morning, really really surprised by that pick, better than taking Hargreaves but if we were to go corner William Jackson III really ought to have been the guy.

I wonder how tempted they were by Tunsil? Surely the guy was worth the risk at 10 considering we are pretty much win now and rookie corners usually get cleaned out alot.

I think at this point Jack will have to wait till the very late rounds before anyone touches him.

Ragland wouldn't be terrible in the 2nd but I would love to go WR. Tyler Boyd or my boy Michael Thomas would be ideal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

If Eli Apple was the highest player on the board at #10 then Reese should just pack his things already. He may turn out to be a good player but completely unimpressed, yet again, with JR's draft strategy.

I've read suggestions that the Bucs had Apple lined up for #11

glued wrote: »
    If Eli Apple was the highest player on the board at #10 then Reese should just pack his things already. He may turn out to be a good player but completely unimpressed, yet again, with JR's draft strategy.

Apple doesn't look a natural fit in the slot, neither are Jenkins or DRC. You could have argued Hargreaves would have been a better fit (would not have liked that pick either) With the way things fell it should have been Tunsil or Lawson.

It looks like a poor pick, the way Mayock was talking about him you'd have said he sounded like a 3rd round developmental player.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Marc Ross is really beginning to bug me

Q: If someone sees this as a reach, what would you say?
    A: We’ve heard it before. We’ve taken other players that (were called) a reach. Nobody knows. If you get a dime for every expert, I could retire. Come on. Experts? People analyze. People have opinions. What’s it based on? Nobody has seen the tape. Nobody goes to practice. Nobody puts in the work like the scouts do. It’s easy to second-guess and pick and say get everybody’s pick right and tell them what they should do, but you’ve just got to put in the work and trust what you do.

People won't second guess you as much if you actually produced in the drafts

Our drafting is horrible so no notion why he is so smug about a highly questionable pick

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Marc Ross is really beginning to bug me

Q: If someone sees this as a reach, what would you say?
    A: We’ve heard it before. We’ve taken other players that (were called) a reach. Nobody knows. If you get a dime for every expert, I could retire. Come on. Experts? People analyze. People have opinions. What’s it based on? Nobody has seen the tape. Nobody goes to practice. Nobody puts in the work like the scouts do. It’s easy to second-guess and pick and say get everybody’s pick right and tell them what they should do, but you’ve just got to put in the work and trust what you do.

People won't second guess you as much if you actually produced in the drafts

Our drafting is horrible so no notion why he is so smug about a highly questionable pick

1st round picks are hard to miss on, the biggest complaint has got to be the mid to late round picks. Where are the contributors or steals that we see successful teams picking up?

Of the 30 picks from the 3rd round on since 2010 we have hit on how many players? Devon Kennard looks good, aside from that, nothing. I'm not setting the bar very high here either, it is a bunch of guys who barely saw a down in the NFL.

You might want to watch a bit more tape and attend a few more practises there Marc.

As a point of reference the Seahawks from the 3rd onwards, have drafted

Walte Thurmond
    Kam Chancellor
    Malcolm Smith
    Byron Maxwell
    Richard Sherman
    KJ Wright
    JR Sweezy
    Russell Wilson
    Luke Wilson
    Jeremy Lane