Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Dearly departed....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Richard Thorp (aka Alan Turner in Emmerdale) has passed on. Hard to believe he was 81, really didn't think he was that age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

James Gandolfini has died, aged 51, and Slim Whitman aged 90. I’ve no idea why we add ages to names but we always seem to do it.

Alan Whicker (remember Whicker's World in the days before budget airlines when we could only dream of far away places) died early this morning age 87.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Who remembers the Monty Python sketch of Whicker's Island where the problem was "simply too many Whickers"

As of today there is too few.

RIP Alan Whicker, a great personality and broadcaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Here's a Whicker classic

• Advertisement

Great stuff! I bet she knits a mean sock too! You go girl! :D

Wow she is fantastic. Mad as a box of frogs but I love her :D

Mick Aston from Time Team on 24th June, aged 66, archaeologist, vegetarian......and naturist! Never actually noticed that bit on the telly! His obit. is here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2013/jun/25/mick-aston-archaeologist-time-team

Thanks Jellybaby I should have posted this myself I liked Mick Aston, he was a polite intelligent man.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Rubecula wrote: »
    Thanks Jellybaby I should have posted this myself I liked Mick Aston, he was a polite intelligent man.

theres not many of us left ;)

I liked him for his total enthusiasm towards his subject, he communicated with passion and vigour, every inch the academic and yet able to convey sense, meaning and purpose to slight discolourations in soil. A fabulous talent and a sad loss

RIP :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I like his explanation of why archaelogists never fail. If there is any doubt about a find then rather then say "We don't know" they say "It's rituralstic". :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

RIP Mel Smith.

Here is the classic sketch from NTNON

That was a shock to hear of Mel Smith's death. Hadn't heard the news today. Sorry to hear it. We enjoyed so many of his sketches.

Really sorry to hear of his passing. Used to love 'Alias Smith and Jones' their two talking heads was fantastic.

That sketch with 'Gerald' is known in our house as the 'Livid' sketch! We collapsed with laughter when we saw it first! :D

RIP Mel Smith, a genuinely funny man.

JJ Cale is no longer with us :(

RIP

Very sorry to hear Colm Murray the RTE sports presenter and brilliant horse racing commentator has passed away. His courage in battling motor neuron disease was awe inspiring. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Lou Reed. :-(

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Himself had to remind me........Walk on the Wild Side.

But I certainly remember Perfect Day, a particular favourite of mine.

• Advertisement

A friend in college in 1980 was tuning the dial on the radio one night and stopped at a point where the noise (medium wave howl and whistle) seemed in his mind to resolve itself.

"Hey,they're playing Metal Machine Music"

I have no idea if "they" were doing any such thing.

RIP Lou

Scary thing is we're now entering a period where many sixties icons are approaching an appointment with the Great Leveller.

Lewis Collins star of "The Professionals".

I could never warm to "Hudson" playing their boss, but Bodie and Doyle were just right.

Sorry to hear that. Loved 'The Professionals'. At the time, it was deemed 'too violent'. Lewis Collins and Martin Shaw were brilliant as Bodie and Doyle.

Nelson Mandela's passing has just been announced.

RIP

A man of dignity, pragmatism and class. He will be sorely missed by millions. RIP

A great man.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

A brilliant man. Rest in Peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

Peter 'O Toole, best known for Laurance Of Arabia 50 years ago.

Personally,I remember him from his star turn on Strumpet City as Jim Larkin.

I'd say I was 10 at the time.

R.I.P.

• Advertisement

Loved Peter O'Toole in Lawrence of Arabia. Very dashing, blue-eyed, blonde, striding over the desert sands. The music was fab too. He was interviewed in Dublin some years ago, which I may have downloaded, on radio, an audience of students he was a great subject for interview, full of mischief and fun - he seemed to enjoy it as much as the audience! The angels will have their hands full now keeping him in check. :)

Advertisement