Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Neighbourhood Watch Merged Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Must be something thats down with the kids.

Consider yourself baptised.

:D

I'll pass on it thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

amdublin wrote: »
    How did this new "blanchies" thing come about :confused:

Never described myself as a "blanchie" in my whole life

It's always been banjos.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Murt10

PucaMama wrote: »
    is there anything that can be done about the nuisance ice cream vans they never even stopped going around in the winter.

Are you sure he's only selling ice cream.

http://namethatmovie.org/1296/guys-selling-drugs-in-ice-cream-van

or maybe this

http://www.herald.ie/news/psycho-dealer-using-icecream-business-to-move-drug-cash-27964011.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Murt10 wrote: »

i dont think its only ice cream, driving around at 9pm during december/january selling ice cream? dont trust it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

nudger wrote: »
    It's always been banjos.:D
    Banjo's, now that's brings back memories, haven't heard it been used in years. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

daymobrew wrote: »
    What did the Garda do?

Noted it and increased visits to the area for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Just saw this on one of the residents groups on facebook.

Car theft alert - Black 520 BMW reg no 08 OY 2954 was stolen from Clonsilla train station today. Garda say it may still be in the area or in a local estate, if anyone spots it please contact Blanchardstown Garda 01 677000. If you are parking your vehicle at the station please be aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

Arciphel wrote: »
    Just saw this on one of the residents groups on facebook.

Car theft alert - Black 520 BMW reg no 08 OY 2954 was stolen from Clonsilla train station today. Garda say it may still be in the area or in a local estate, if anyone spots it please contact Blanchardstown Garda 01 677000. If you are parking your vehicle at the station please be aware.

The mother came up from the sticks today and i collected her at around 1.50pm. On my way to the station (approaching station on my right hand side) there was a white transit van double parked on the left, nearly 100% sure UK reg, may have been NI reg. I only remember as I overtook it. IT was probably half way up the line of traffic. I then saw a van going over the bridge while i was waiting, it might not have been the same van, and may be nothing but the timing was 100% , you might want to post to the residents group

My mate caught these guys Yellow carding certain cars in his estate. They checked the cars first. HAd a good look inside before leaving an A4 Yellow carded paper were it can be seen. They then leave the estate and come back in at night.

He took HD pictures lenience plate number (white van) NI reg. Police will send somebody. Not interested in any of the info he got. Also not interested in his details.

Pisses him off as he has been robbed 4 times in 14 months and 7 of his neighbors have been robbed. in the past year. He was robbed 3 weeks ago but chased them away. His neighbor was robbed thismorning. He knows who they are, the police know who they are. Nothing is happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

My mate caught these guys Yellow carding certain cars in his estate. They checked the cars first. HAd a good look inside before leaving an A4 Yellow carded paper were it can be seen. They then leave the estate and come back in at night.

He took HD pictures lenience plate number (white van) NI reg. Police will send somebody. Not interested in any of the info he got. Also not interested in his details.

Pisses him off as he has been robbed 4 times in 14 months and 7 of his neighbors have been robbed. in the past year. He was robbed 3 weeks ago but chased them away. His neighbor was robbed thismorning. He knows who they are, the police know who they are. Nothing is happening.
    Which estate, and is this recent?

• Advertisement

Which estate, and is this recent?

He is in the process of trying to sell so i dont want to put the name out there. Its constant in this estate. They drive in, if there are people about, they drive back out again.

They will come into the estate 4 to 5 times a day. If nobody is around, they will break into the house, through the front door. They can hit houses at any time. Police know who they are, we all know who they are. Right now they are hitting castleknock/Ongar are getting hit the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

We have communal bins in our estate and last night I was walking out and was just dropping something into the bins when I saw a torch light in the little shed.

My mate was with me and we noticed a girl looking through the recycling bin. Who ran out when we opened the gate. My mate who's a postman straight away said she was looking for letters.

She doesn't live here and a car pulled up an she jumped in and sped away.

Might have been a genuine incident but just making people aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭Polar101

ciaran76 wrote: »
    My mate who's a postman straight away said she was looking for letters.

To find what?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,886 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Polar101 wrote: »
    To find what?

Credit card details and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Polar101 wrote: »
    To find what?

Not to pay your bills thats for sure

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Don't throw personal stuff in the recycling!! Or bins full stop!

Burn it or shred it. Or at least rip it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

4 of my sisters neighbours' houses broken into in Tyrellstown last night - it appears they used a drill to break the locks. My sister and one other house had alarms so they weren't touched.

Edit : I misread her text, it was actually Sunday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The same street or around the area ?

Same street I think, I haven't actually talked to her yet, just a few exchanged text messages. I'll have a chat with her later on.

Just talked to her, they were all on the same street, they used a drill to break the lock on the patio door in the kitchen. One of her neighbours spotted one of them in the garden at 7.30 am, an hour later the brazen fcker knocked on the door, pretending to be a guard to check out the security in the house.

• Advertisement

Sounds like the same guys i know. I know were they live i have their names, they did my mates house. They study all the houses first knock on the doors to view the locks on the inside. They might offer to cut grass or clean gutters. Police are unwilling to take the details. Blanchardstown police have to be the worst police i have ever come across. I know alot of garda, good friends and even family.
    Blanchardstown police are absolutely useless, its a bonus if they turn up. When they do turn up they pretend that they are going to do something and just file it away. The only time they will actually do anything is if there is a murder or if you are speeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,780 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

^ Could it be they are also the most stretched police district you have come across?

The former Lucan district patch around Clonsilla moved into Blanchardstown district a few years back, seems like they have even less resources since.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Dublin 15 area has a greater population size then Limerick city but has only the 1 garda station.
    It's gotten frankly dangerous, the low level of policing in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭420

Friend off mine just told me he seen a white hiace van driving in his estate park drive castleknock. 3 males in it. Came into the estate three times in space of 1hrs. His neighbours at the back of him had there locks smashed out of door (front) within the last three hours. Reg 99 d ????.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

420 wrote: »
    Friend off mine just told me he seen a white hiace van driving in his estate park drive castleknock. 3 males in it. Came into the estate three times in space of 1hrs. His neighbours at the back of him had there locks smashed out of door (front) within the last three hours. Reg 99 d ??

Very few of those around these days, most traded up to Transits, should be easy to spot, eyes open guys.

For those who haven't up graded to anti snap, bump, drill locks, invest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭420

Spoke with friend. Cutting his grass earlier and seen this van . Then after that He was going out walking with dogs when he seen this van as they drove past him. He walked across to green when van drove back out. He said 3 males and when drove past him , one of males covered his head (driving at speed). Friend continued on his walk around block and as he was walking to his road he noticed the van drive back in. He said when they noticed him, the van made a sudden u-turn and back out again.

Theres a lot to be said for the old fashioned neighbourhood watch. Estates where people keep to themselves or there are diverse languages and cultures and low interaction make easy pickings for fellas like the van occupants above.

Regardless of the Guards being busy, report, report, report. And in this time of local elections, pester the candidates about it too, the Council has a joint policing committee for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Theres a lot to be said for the old fashioned neighbourhood watch. Estates where people keep to themselves or there are diverse languages and cultures and low interaction make easy pickings for fellas like the van occupants above.

Regardless of the Guards being busy, report, report, report. And in this time of local elections, pester the candidates about it too, the Council has a joint policing committee for a reason.

True the real guards are the people and this thread shows people in D15 care keep reporting and looking out for your neighbours. Nothing better of an ice breaker to speak with your neighbours that you Dont know about suspious activity.

^ Could it be they are also the most stretched police district you have come across?

The former Lucan district patch around Clonsilla moved into Blanchardstown district a few years back, seems like they have even less resources since.....

But that's really not an excuse. Thats an excuse when you go to a restaurant and your food is late.
    I guarantee you this, i bet you they are hitting their quota on fines and tickets. The protection of the people comes in secondary to that. I had a thread back a few years ago about the Blanchardstown police were a guy was on the ground getting his head kicked in at 8 in the morning. I called the police and they never arrived. Yet Pizza hut are getting their delivery time down to 30 minutes (despite being understaffed)

This police force is not even trying to reach out to the people for help, they seem to be happy with the excuse that they are understaffed, they do their call outs and rely on insurance companies to deal with car theft, house breakins etc... The only time they will actually do something is if you are murdered. Even if you are attacked and survive, chances are they will not do anything unless its presented to them.

• Advertisement

I dont disagree with all of that. I still think it more a political and judicial issue. The effectiveness of the Guards is being reduced from above and below

Advertisement